June 21, No Pre-Op Diet

purplepeace79
on 6/11/11 10:39 am - Bronx, NY
 I feel like those of us not prescriped a pre-op diet are in the small minority. The only thing I was told to do was go liquid 24 hours before the surgery, stop alcohol for 2 weeks, and no painkillers/steroids for 10 days.

My surgery is June 21 and I am SO excited to be sleeved. 

Should I do a pre-op diet anyway this week?
SW: 364  Surgery Date: 6.21.11 *VSG*  LifeOfANappyHeadedFatChic.tumblr.com

Tammy G.
on 6/11/11 2:23 pm
RNY on 06/16/11 with
 Is your surgeon doing it open instead of laproscopic?  If so, not really any need for the pre-op diet.  

If it would make you feel better, you could cut the carbs to take off some weight before surgery.  My nutritionist has me on 30 grams of carbs  & 70 grams of protien a day.  If you really want to drop some pounds, you could do the liquid diet some of us have had to do.  I don't know what that entails, so you'd have to get it from someone else.

Whatever you decide, good luck!
NextChapterPlease
on 6/12/11 4:31 am - CA
Hi there!

My opinion is YES, you should start the liquid pre-op diet. The reasons for the liquid only diet only benefit you. I am 6 days post op, and so grateful I did it.  This is a major surgery. You want your liver to shrink, and your system and stomach to be clean and free of any toxins. Once you have the operation, you will be on clear liquids anyways, so for me, it was best to get used to eating (drinking) that way, and to get my head right. My pre-op diet wass 14 days pre-op liquid only 50 to 70 grams of protein per day. The last two days clear liquids only.

Sending hugs and prayers your way! Congrats! You are on your way!!!

princessfrogee
on 6/12/11 1:32 pm - AL
My surgery is also 6/21.  If you are having it done laproscopically, then it would definitely benefit you to have the pre-op liquid diet.  This will help shrink your liver so the surgeon can get to the stomach/intestines more easily.  Some people are required 5-6 wks and some are only required 2-3 days.  Whatever you are able to do will only benefit you. 

I am having similar questions regarding the bowel cleanse.  Until another poster mentioned this on a post today, I did not realise that my surgeon never brought it up on my pre-op apt last wk.  Was wondering how important/beneficial this was.  I was thinking of just going to the store and getting my own stuff anyway.  Is there anyone else that did not have to do the bowel cleanse?

"When you know better, you do better." ~Maya Angelou~

BW 334.4 / CW: 227 / GW 180             
Most Active