Mixed Emotions

41andFabulous
on 6/15/11 1:40 pm - Dallas, TX
Greetings Junbies -- I am frustrated that I am 4 days from surgery and  have not followed this pre-op diet to the letter. I should be 10 pounds down by now and I am up in my weight.

This surgery is going to save my life. I pray that my pre-op appointment tomorrow doesn't create any delays. How are the rest of you doing on your pre-op diet? Am I the only failure?

That_816_Princess
on 6/15/11 2:03 pm - MO
 oh no...dont beat your self..my Dr. did not ask..but I really on got 5 or 6 days out of my 14

I will take back my body and take back my health! 
Facebook:  http://www.facebook.com/pages/Leeshas-WLS-Journey-with-Gizmo-her-pouch/237635902947481 
My YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/TheLovelyRANDOMNESS
My Twitter: http://twitter.com/locdagoddess

princessfrogee
on 6/16/11 1:34 am - AL
No, don't beat yourself up too bad!  Though we should always follow our dr's orders to the "T", it just doesn't always work out that way.  If you "fall off the wagon", just get back on as soon as possible.  Keep in mind, this surgery will force us to follow very strict menu's, especially the first 2 mos post-op.  I have seen plenty of posters talking of doing various pre-op diets and each Dr is different and in some cases, it is due to each particular patient and what the Dr feels they need to do.

If you are binging and eating full meals, then, yes, you should stop that immediately!  I am trying my best to do my seven day liquid diet and oddly have not been hungry, but had trouble with my hypoglycemia and TERRIBLE headache that started on the end of Day one and ALL of Day two.  Day one, my only "sin" was I had a little less than 2 Tbsp of peanut butter to help with my hypoglycemia.  I didn't beat myself up because I knew I wasn't eating it out of hunger, binging, etc.  Day Two was a little rougher because of the terrible headache.  I was getting to the point of feeling like I had to vomit so I broke down and had some Wendy's chili.  I know that is a low fat favorite for post-ops and figured at least it isn't a full meal and it isn't fries and cheeseburgers.
Within an hour of eating it, headache was gone and has not been back, so it was worth it for me.  Bowels are still cleansing at a steady pace....definitely liquids in, liquids out!  ha ha

Not sure if your Dr required you to have a bowel cleanse or not, but if they didn't, and you are worried about it, you can get one on your own for less than $5 at Wal-Mart.  I know that cleaning the bowel is not the only reason for the pre-op diet.  THE most important thing is to shrink that liver.  So don't beat yourself up, but DO YOUR BEST to get back on the liquid wagon and keep it going.  If you absolutely have to eat something, I would suggest keeping it semi liquid foods like Malt-o-Meal, etc.  My Dr ok'd SF pudding and jello for mine, but not sure if your pre-op was just a generic one that your Dr gives to all his patients or if this one was specific just for you.

But no, you are not the only one struggling.  The more you can do, the more you will benefit from it when your liver has been a good liver and has shrunk for your surgery.  It's only a few more days!  Hang in there!

"When you know better, you do better." ~Maya Angelou~

BW 334.4 / CW: 227 / GW 180             
kiwichick45
on 6/19/11 1:57 pm
 Am I the only failure?

I put on weight during my pre op diet too.
Most Active