Like most of you I a...

Daveloss
on 8/10/07 9:51 am - Frankfort, KY
Like most of you I am thrilled with my second anniversary. I continue to feel better, mantain stamina, and enjoy so much more of life. I'm blessed. Now the really serious stuff: I'm in the middle of a month long diagnosis regarding cancer. I have a sqamous carcinoma, about 5.5 centimeters, on the left side of my neck. I also have suspect tissue on my tongue. Wed. I had tissue samples taken from my throat, tongue and tonsil area. There's a 95% chance the neck growth is secondary to another in my body, potentially my tongue. At a minimum, I will have radiotherapy followed by healing then surgery over a 5 month period. If I have a primary tumor elsewhere (real potential), I'll have chemo while I receive radiotherapy. I'll be sick for awhile, but the chances of a good outcome are there. Thank God I got this now instead of 20 years prior! One of my good friends is the former Director of the Markey Cancer Center at UK which rates as Kentucky's best. He's providing great counsel. I've got "Cadillac" insurance, in addition to a cancer policy, that allows for two opinions (and treatment plans) which I''m getting. I'll analyze them with help and make decisions on one or a hybrid of both within the next month. Treatment will probably begin in Sept. so I may have the holidays to heal before surgery after the New Year. I'll beat this: after all, I'm in the best shape I've been in since my mid-thirties. I'd ask that you send light my way and keep me in your thoughts and prayers. I'll post more as my diagnosis and plans become more defined. I've had my share of scans, excisions of tissue, and needles in the neck, but it has really not been that bad: the hard stuff is coming. Dave
Debbie M.
on 8/10/07 5:03 pm - Fort Worth, TX
Hey Dave! So sorry to hear that your having this trouble. You sound like you have gotten very wise counsel and a great treatment plan. You will absolutely be in my thoughts and prayers and please do keep in touch with us here. We will get through this with you. You are never alone with many friends. Hugs! Debbie
Tim C.
on 8/11/07 2:43 am - Roseville, MI
You got it buddy
jennifer uzarski
on 8/12/07 10:41 am - linesville, PA
Dave My thoughts and prayers are with you and please stay in touch. This board has been such a support system for all of us. Sometimes we don't understand why life gives us these challenges, but be STRONG. I'm with you, you are never alone. HUGS Jenna
Daveloss
on 8/12/07 12:40 pm - Frankfort, KY
To All: Thanks for the affirmations and commitments to prayers. Tim, I am so pleased that you have your benefits back and I know that you will succeed! Dave
Maria Finan
on 8/13/07 1:34 pm - Richland, WA
Dave, Just wanted to say that you're in my thoughts. They've come so far with diagnosis and treatment. A 22-year old young man that worked for me was diagnosed with Stage IV testicular cancer (although in all of my research, I could only find up to Stage III). It had already spread to his lungs, bronchial tubes and around his heart (note we live in AK and he was 6,000 miles from any family when he received the diagnosis). For a young man with no children, this was a very rough diagnosis (especially since he had "ignored" the symptoms for over a year and a half). Prognosis was not good; however after chemotherapy, only a little cancer remained in the lungs. He was fortunate and was sent to the same doctors that treated Lance Armstrong (he was active duty military at the time so you go where they send you). He had surgery on both lungs last year and is currently "free" from cancer. They were also able to "save" one testicle so he may be lucky enough to one day father biologicial children if the chemo left him any reproductive fellows. Sorry to go on (he was very dear to me). Just wanted to share such a success when he was given a very grim prognosis. Please keep us in the loop on your diagnosis and treatment. Maria
Peter Roehrich
on 8/14/07 3:52 am - New York, NY
Dave, Andrea and I send you our support. It sounds like you are getting some good counsel and care. Keep us posted as to how things are going. Peter
(deactivated member)
on 8/14/07 4:27 am
Wow, Dave, keeping you in my prayers. Lots of luck. Sharon
AndreaA
on 8/27/07 11:49 pm
Hi Dave- Pete and I wondered how you were doing? Any updates? Andrea
Most Active
Recent Topics
So, how's everyone doing?
Cricket- · 3 replies · 1006 views
Happy 7 year !!!!
AlysbluesGA · 0 replies · 781 views