I walked 26 miles for Breast Cancer!

AndreaA
on 10/8/07 4:28 am
I did it-- I walked 26 miles and raised $2800 to fight Breast Cancer-- It was a very hot weekend for a 26 mile stroll, but I did it, and it was wonderful. On day one we gathered at Pier 84 on the West Side of Manhattan (@ 42nd street) for the opening ceremony at 6am. At 7am we started walking. There were 3900 people walking and hundreds of crew members. The first mile took about 1.5 hours until the crowd dispersed. Once that happened, the walk was great! We walked up to 48th street and down Broadway through Times Square, over the Fifth Avenue and down Fifth Avenue to Union Square and Washington Square Park. After tromping through the Village we walked to through China Town and the Lower East Side and then walked across the Manhattan Bridge. As you walked across, with the subway (N) clattering away on your right you could see the line of pink snake its way down through Brooklyn and back up over the Brooklyn Bridge. After walking back into Manhattan we walked on Chambers Street over the West Side Highway and headed north along the path by the Hudson River. At around 30th Street, we walked back over to 10 Avenue and 42nd street, reaching the 13.2 miles. For me that was the end of Day 1-- Those who continued went up the west side and over the George Washington Bridge into New Jersey. On day 2 Peter drove me over to Englewood New Jersey and we walked through Englewood and Fort Lee and over the George Washington Bridge (again). We turned north and headed up Fort Washington to 181st Street and then walked down the hill into Riverside / Riverbank Park. we walked from 181st back down to the Pier 84 on 42nd Street. It was an amazing experience. People were friendly and helpful and the volunteer crew was wondeful cheering us on and filling our water bottles; offering our lunch choice of "turkey and cheese" or "cheese and Turkey). People came in pink of all types, Pink feathery hats, pink boas, Pink buttons- pink T-shirsts. Some of the better sayings on T shirst and buttons: "Save the Ta-Tas" "Save 2nd base" "Save the Boobies" "F@ck Cancer" "Cancer Sucks" "Males for Breasts" (sported by men on the walk) One of the crew members was in a cow costumer (complete with udders) the entire two days-- he must have been boiling! I am a bit sore and the blisteres on my feet sort of look like a map of Manhattan, but it was a great experience and I am very happy to have done this walk. The walk in NY raised $10.2 million (as of Saturday at 6am). It was inspiring and moving to hear everyone's stories.
Maria Finan
on 10/8/07 4:11 pm - Richland, WA
Andrea ~ What an incredible accomplishment! Congratulations! Maria
Daveloss
on 10/12/07 7:49 am - Frankfort, KY
Thanks... from one who's there right now. I'm looking forward to "rounding second" soon, but frankly, my drive's gone to hell! Marge is right there making things bearable. My second chemo is Monday: tumors ARE SSSHHHRRRIIINNNKKKIIINNNGGG!!!! Fourteen radio sessions in: 20 to go. Regards to Peter from all of us. Dave
Peter Roehrich
on 10/12/07 11:10 pm - New York, NY
Dave- Hang in there-- Glad to hear the tumors are shrinking. On the walk I spoke with a cancer survivor-- she had Stage 4 breast cancer and is still here 2 years later-- and walking 13 miles. You can DO this! Love Peter & Andrea
Debbie M.
on 10/13/07 2:25 am - Fort Worth, TX
Andrea, what an accomplishment! That is so exciting. Dave, love to you and thoughts and prayers are with you through all this. You guys are both so inspiring. {{{hugs!!}}
AndreaA
on 10/16/07 10:42 pm
Thanks Debbie-- You ARE inspiring! andrea
Most Active
Recent Topics
So, how's everyone doing?
Cricket- · 3 replies · 1006 views
Happy 7 year !!!!
AlysbluesGA · 0 replies · 781 views
Hello to all of you!
maureen A. · 1 replies · 912 views
I'm getting married!