getting scoped

Tim C.
on 7/26/08 9:36 am - Roseville, MI
I had my 3 year checkup back on July 7. The good news is that all my blood tests came back absolutely fantastic. My cholesterol was only 127, my blood pressure is now 115 over 65, my resting pulse is now 59 (was 90) and all my "levels" were in the good to excellent range. Not quite as good is that I have gained back about 20 pounds. My doctor didn't seem too concerned with this. In fact he said it was typical. Still this bothers me quite a bit. I sure as hell didn't go through all this just to gain weight back. One of the things I noticed is that I can eat quite a bit more food than I used to, and more than I thought I should be able to. I told my doctor this and he suggested that we do a EGD scope. I had the procedure done last Thursday and found that the stoma from my pouch to the small bowel had dialated from it's original 8 mm dia. to about 16 mm dia. The doctor did some shots around the stoma to shrink it down and I have to go back for another scoping in about 6 weeks to make sure it took. Meanwhile I've been on liquids only for the past 3 days and will be on soft foods for the next 2 weeks. The doctor also found I have a small ulcer so I am also on Prevacid for a little while. At least I've lost around 5 pounds the last few days, a result of my liquid diet. I'm glad I caught this when I did and with this slight adjustment to my "tool" I will be able to lose the whole 20 lbs. On a brighter note, I've been helping a friend of mine fix up a HUD house he is buying. Today we were trimming the Cherry tree in the back yard and a branch we cut got stuck about half way up. So what do I do? I climbed the darn tree and went and got it. I CLIMBED A TREE!!!!! Something I haven't done in about 35 years or so. It wasn't even difficult. My friends were all laughing at me but nobody was laughing harder than me. It's official, I'm a kid again and in this vein of youthfull exuberance I now challenge all my July 05 friends to climb a tree! Take care all! Remember what we went through to achieve all that we have and enjoy every second of our second chance. Peace Tim
jenntacular
on 7/27/08 5:13 am - harker heights, TX
That is great i remember about a year and a half ago i could actually ride on the rides at six flags it was pretty super. Thanks for the info about the scoop and keep up the good work
maureen A.
on 7/27/08 7:22 am - Tamarac, FL
There once was a guy named Tim ... eh. he got scoped lost 20 in no time he was back to his old loveable lean firm tree choppng brick laying cement mixing demoliton man self Always wishing you well Tim. excuse the poor rhyme... I'm just biddng my time.. Thursday's my day for Plastics!!!!!!!! YEAH! love peace hugs Mo
Tim C.
on 7/27/08 9:52 am - Roseville, MI
Thanks Mo I love your replies, they're always so witty and smart. Congrats an getting your plastics! This ones for you babe. Mo's getting her plastics Thursday And we'll all give a hearty "Hurray" Hope you don't go insane From your surgical pain And that your insurance will pay Hugs Tim
BeckyM
on 7/28/08 4:12 am - Up North, WI
I had my 3 yr ck up last Thurs. Since my 2 yr ck up I have gained 32 lbs. The good news is that I am still in an acceptable BMI range but I am scared to death of gaining ALL this weight back. I have to have a scope done Aug. 8th myself to see if I've streched my stoma. He never said anything to me about a liquid diet or soft food diet though. HMM? Did you have to go on a liquid diet BEFORE the procedure too or just after? I feel like I am hungry all the time and do not get full like I used to. I am HOPING this IS the problem and that it can be fixed with a few injections but I also know it's partly MY fault for not exercising enough, not always making the best food choices and I drink far to much wine. At my lowest I was 135 at 5'9 everyone was telling me I looked far to think and gaunt. I'd like to get back to at least 150 though. Good luck to you. I'll be curious to know how you progress. Becky
Tim C.
on 7/28/08 8:13 am - Roseville, MI
The liquid and soft food diet I am on now is only because of the injections I recieved to shrink my stoma. If my doctor had not done that, I would be on regular food. The only pre procedure dietary restriction I had was no food or water after midnight the night before.
Doriam R.
on 7/30/08 11:03 am - Austin, TX
VSG on 07/12/17
I have also gained 20 pounds back and I would love to know what is a an EGD and what it is that your doctor did? can you tell me. Good luck in your new commitment. I am there too. I sure did not spent all the money to lose it all. I am healthier now and of course not at all like I was but I need to get back to my goal Thanks for posting. Doriam
Tim C.
on 7/30/08 6:39 pm - Roseville, MI
EGD stands for esophagogastroduodenoscopy. Basically they knock you out and stick a camera down your throat into your stomach. The doctor can check for ulcers, any leaks from your pouch into the old stomach, the size of your stoma (the opening from the pouch to the intestine) and the condition of the first part of the small intestine. The scope is also equipped with the ability to do a series of injections around the stoma to make it smaller or to stretch it if it is too small. Mine was done as an outpatient procedure. I was knocked out for about 45 minutes and spent a total of about 3 hours at the hospital. I will need to go back in about 6 weeks and have it done again to check and make sure it worked. Since you had a lap band I don't know if getting scoped would do you any good. You might just need a fill to tighten your band. You need to consult with your doctor.
Malibu C
on 8/4/08 11:47 am - Somewhere in, AZ
Hey you! A tree? hilarious! I LOVE IT! Malibu
Daveloss
on 8/5/08 5:50 am - Frankfort, KY
Tim: Good luck. Ulcers heal and Previcid is great stuff!!!! I've had 11 scopes, 5 within the last year (four for my severe ulcer) resulting from chemo/radio. You're right: no discomfort. Dave
Most Active
Recent Topics
So, how's everyone doing?
Cricket- · 3 replies · 1005 views
Happy 7 year !!!!
AlysbluesGA · 0 replies · 779 views
Hello to all of you!
maureen A. · 1 replies · 911 views
I'm getting married!
Tim C. · 4 replies · 1127 views