Help!

Diane G.
on 8/18/08 10:03 am - Smithtown, NY
RNY on 07/25/05 with
Hi All! I haven't been on here in a very long time, but I have been back and perusing everyone's posts and profiles trying to find some answers for myself... Basically, I had my surgery in July of 2005 (GB) and it didn't go quite as planned...it was 4 hours long, a lot of bleeding (so I came home with a JP Drain). Exactly a week after the surgery I had spiked a 102 fever and had to go back into the hospital for a week. It turned out, after a ton of testing that I had contracted an infection through the drain site. Now fast forward three years later to this past May. I had been having pains in my abdomen that I thought were normal side effects of the GB and never got them checked out. Well, May 2nd I was rushed into the hospital for emergency surgery. The surgeon found adhesions, a very small internal hernia, and took my gall bladder. For about the past month I have been having severe pains in and around my belly button and up by my sternum. I have been extremely weak and tired and put on about 10 pounds. Just as of two days ago, hot and cold have been wreaking havoc on my insides. Anything I eat causes excrutiating pain on my right side, directly on my waist. The incision site from the last operation that I had (lap) on the right side of my belly button has become EXTREMELY sensitive to the touch, however I feel no significant lump to indicate hernia. There is however a small cyst like feeling way underneath my skin. I don't know if it is an abscess, the beginning of a hernia, or if I just strained myself (although as I said before I have been very lazy as I am weak and can afford to be for the summer on a teacher's schedule!) I have an endoscopy scheduled for Wednesday, and have done a ton of research, but I am at a loss. Has anyone else had anything similar to this at 3 years later? I just cry because I don't know what else to do. The Pepcid hasn't been helping. The only thing that actually feels like it is semi-effective is the Carafate, and that's not even anything to really brag about. I was told not to take it for up to 72 hours before the endoscopy. HELP! Sincerely, Diane
Malibu C
on 8/21/08 3:17 am - Somewhere in, AZ
Diane, I haven't experienced anything like that. How did the endoscopy go? Did they discover anything? Are they giving you anything for your discomfort? It sounds like complications from your second surgery (gall bladder), but I am certainly no expert. I hope you are feeling better.. Malibu
Daveloss
on 8/24/08 3:07 am - Frankfort, KY
I hope your endoscope went well and yielded a better understanding of what's happenning inside. I had an ulcer at the juncture of my pouch and jujenum brought on by chemo/radio. It healed over time and I used Previcid religiously.

Thoughts and prayers your way,

Keep us informed,

Dave
LITeacherChick
on 7/10/09 5:21 pm - Lake Ronkonkoma, NY
Wow Diane I hope you are feeling better. We have a lot in common I to am from Smithtown. We have the same surgery date and I am also a teacher pretty crazy. I was having very bad abdominal pains in December and was rushed in to the e.r. for an emergency catscan but they told me I was ok. I do still use pepcid probably more frequently than I should. Good luck I hope you feel better. Amy
Most Active
Recent Topics
So, how's everyone doing?
Cricket- · 3 replies · 1004 views
Happy 7 year !!!!
AlysbluesGA · 0 replies · 779 views
Hello to all of you!
maureen A. · 1 replies · 910 views
I'm getting married!
Tim C. · 4 replies · 1127 views