Too many CARBS?? Having trouble with meat.

Pam C.
on 8/24/06 4:40 am - Mt Washington, KY
Is there anyone else out there who feels like all they can eat are carbs? I have tried chicken, tuna, fish, eggs, etc. and it seems like all I can tolerate right now is still soft foods. I did have a stricture and my EGD was done Aug 7, but I mostly eat soups, beans, crackers, & potatoes. I am afraid this will stall my weight loss, but my tummy hurts if I don't eat. Please help.
Pen
on 8/24/06 7:44 am - OH
I am still on pureed foods. I LIVE for my daily serving of cottage cheese. It tastes great, is easy to digest and can have up to 30 grams of protein in a cup. I like the Jello sugar free pudding cups and they are a good source of protein. Yogurt is too, but I seem to crave savory things, not sweet things. Another thing that has saved my sanity is Thai Coconut soup. It is so flavorful. I make it with lite coconut milk and just don't put in the chicken or mushrooms. Next week I can have soft foods, so I will try it with the others. I have had one serving so far of sloppy joe mixture and a very small bit of tuna salad. I can't imagine eating meat plain yet. It sounds so dry, but I will try next week. I tried making an egg/sour cream/cheese strata, but one bite and it just stuck there. I was thinking of trying egg salad or a poached egg next week. I also have some protein powder, unsweetened. I bet you can use powdered milk for a fraction of the price (I plan to look this weekend). I put a scoopful in my mashed potatoes. I also add some to my hot cereal. But if you can tolerate cottage cheese, it is a great food, and gets you almost halfway to your protein goal.
debg
on 8/24/06 9:04 am - brooklyn, NY
RNY on 07/06/06 with
try tracking your food - from what i hear not getting our protein really does hurt our weight loss - you start losing lean muscle instead of body fat... rememebr it is all trial and error - we need to just work with what we can and do the best we can. beans are very healthy and cottege cheese is an easy protein (at least it was for me). another thing you can do is throw a scoop of protein powder in with your mashed potatos, your soups and so on. that will help get in the protein and get your body feeling good. Deb PS call your surgeon to discuss this too. and you definitely need to eat! even if your stomach didn't hurt you would need to eat!
Christina R.
on 8/25/06 6:32 am - Reston, VA
Pam- Have you tried peanut butter? It's a little high in calories, but it's a good protein. Also, what about cheese? Same thing, but if you're struggling at least you'd be stting in some. Also, are you drinking your protein drinks? Those alone could get you up there in #s for protein.... Just some thoughts...best wishes to you, Christina S
debg
on 8/25/06 9:38 pm - brooklyn, NY
RNY on 07/06/06 with
yes cheese is great! alpine lace swiss reduced fat is tasty, easy to chew up to the right consistancy and it is like 50 calories a piece and 2 g fat and 8 protein! i also like muenster and have had cheddar. you can melt cheese into a scrambled egg to boost it up. Deb
Most Active
Recent Topics
Happy 9 years!
Diminishing Dawn · 1 replies · 924 views
Old timer
Lindaanne · 0 replies · 1015 views
Almost 7 years for us!
Diminishing Dawn · 1 replies · 961 views
Happy 6 Years
Diminishing Dawn · 0 replies · 1054 views