HELP!!! Surgery Date 07/06/07 I'm having trouble with SMOKING!! i'm losing my mind!

iwantwls
on 6/10/07 3:04 am
Hi all, I got the call friday and my surgery date is 7/6... has anyone ever NOT quit smoking??? really, I dont know if I can do it or not. what can I do? also I'll be on liquids 2 weeks before the surgery...OMG! any help from the doc with this? and you talk about depression...I cried last night, I don't even want to go out moms house and she only lives about 200 yards from me.. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks, Sandy
Linda_S
on 6/10/07 9:02 am - Eugene, OR
Sandra - quitting smoking is not easy, but it is do-able. I did it, cold turkey about six years ago. Stop and think about why you're having the bypass surgery. You want to improve your health, right? What could be more unhealthy than smoking? Throw those cigs out and get on with your life. Yes, you will go through some mood swings. You may cry some more. You may really, really, REALLY want a cigarette, but don't do it! Start the rest of your life now. Your recovery will be so much easier without those nasty cigs. And, within a couple of weeks, when someone who has just smoked passes by you, you will think, "OMG! I smelled like THAT?" You will not believe how bad smokers smell. I still am embarrassed that I ever smelled like that. You CAN DO THIS! We're all pulling for you. Linda
Donna B.
on 6/10/07 10:29 am - Somewhere in, VA
Sandra, Have you checked with your PCP or surgeon's office about maybe getting a prescription drug like Zyban or Wellbutrin (which I think is basically the same drug) to help with this? I know my OB/GYN gave me a prescrip for Zyban seven years ago to help me quit and let me just tell you, it worked like a charm!!! I was supposed to take it for 3 months but I only ended up taking it for 1 month and had actually quit within 2-3 weeks after starting it. So that's one option you could try. I didn't have any withdrawl symptoms like I always had when I tried to quit cold turkey before. It was pretty pricey back then -- somewhere around $120 for a months supply but it was so worth it!!! I also hear the patch works pretty good but I never tried that so I can't say firsthand. Please do whatever it takes for you to stop smoking -- don't let this life changing and life saving surgery be taken away from you due to nasty cigs!!! YOU CAN DO THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just take it one minute or even one second at a time and you will make it! Good luck to you and keep us updated on your progress. Hugs, Donna
Betsy B.
on 6/12/07 3:06 am - MN
I recently went through this as well, I got my date, and was told to quit smoking, immediatley!! Tomorrow is 3 weeks, and in the 26 years I have smoked, I have NEVER gone that long with out at least sneaking once in awhile. My pcp was awesome, and she gave me a prescrition for Chantix, it is amazing!! I am very fortunate, because she also gave me a prescription for Xanax, because she understands how difficult all of this can be, I havent used it, but, its like my little crutch, knowing its in my purse!! lol. I am excited, and terrified at the same time, dealing with a few less than supportive people, but a whole bunch of really supportive people. This has been surprisingly, one of the easier hurdles in this whole journey, and if I can do it, even with my crutches, anyone can do it!! Good luck, you CAN do it!!! Betsy
Most Active
Recent Topics
FREEZING COLD
kateyeburger · 0 replies · 627 views
Liver Shrinking Diet - GO BACK??
4Synergy · 0 replies · 1379 views
July 23rd - Surgi-versary
4Synergy · 0 replies · 934 views
3.5 years out!
Rianne D. · 0 replies · 807 views