Loose 15lbs?? by 7/10/07 surgery?? HELP!

poeticmom
on 6/10/07 4:47 pm - VA
I had a consult with my surgeon on 6/6/07, and he told me I have to loose 15 lbs by 7/10/07 which is when I'm having my RNY.(God Willing)... so I asked "how am I agonna do that?" and he said "Atkins diet".... sure Ive heard and tried (not very well) and then He left , I didnt ask many more questions, partially cause I was in shock, but Im so confused, Ive been reading peoples profiles and they talk bout being on a liquid diet 1 or 2 weeks pre-op... My thing is, what if I CANT??, lets be real, if I could easily have learned by now how to drop 15 lbs in 30 days, I wouldnt be needeing this surgery.... HELP!!!!
Linda_S
on 6/11/07 3:38 am - Eugene, OR
Okay. Stop right there! You CAN do this. You WILL do this. Trust me. I can lose weight. I can't keep it off -- that's why I (and you) need this surgery. Have you tried protein shakes yet? Get some protein powder (100% Whey Protein is supposed to be better for us). In the morning, mix a scoop of the protein powder with 8 oz of skim milk, and a banana and put it in a blender. You'll be surprised at how good it is. If you want it to be a bit thicker and really yummy, add a couple of teaspoons of sugar free, fat free pudding to the mix and some ice cubes. It will get thick and be oh so good and filling. Here are a couple of recipes I use: 1 scoop chocolate protein powder 8 oz skim milk 2 tsp chocolate pudding mix banana ice cubes 1 scoop vanilla protein powder 8 oz skim milk 2 tsp butterscotch pudding mix banana ice cubes 1 scoop vanilla protein powder 8 oz skim milk 1/2 cup frozen blueberries 2 tsp cheesecake pudding mix banana ice cubes That's what I have for breakfast. For lunch, have a salad with some grilled chicken on it. You can use regular salad dressing if you do this. Dip your fork in the salad dressing (FORK, not a spoon), then get your fork full of salad. You'll get some dressing in each bite, but your salad won't be swimming in it. If you're hungry in the afternoon, have an apple. If that doesn't do (wait 15 minutes to be sure), you can have 10 mini pretzels. For dinner, have some grilled fish (about 4 oz), steamed veggies, and maybe a small baked (or nuked) potato with Smart Balance on it. Need an evening snack? Have some pretzels or FF popcorn. Not hard - you can do this. If the surgery is important to you, you WILL do this. Your surgeon wants you to lose this amount of weight to shrink your liver and get it out of his way so he can see to operate on you. If you think you can, or think you can't, either way, you're right. Linda
Jean M. B.
on 6/11/07 7:23 am - St. Cloud, MN
Linda! Great suggestions! Love the smoothy recipies. Jean
Jean M. B.
on 6/11/07 7:22 am - St. Cloud, MN
Hi, Poetic Mom and Surgery Sister!!! Wow, I thought you got great ideas from Linda! Gonna try those smoothies. When I had to be on a special diet prior to a cancer treatment, I never cheated, even once. I think it was because I knew it was the only thing I could control regarding my treatment. It was also only for two weeks!!! Just like the LD I was on before my surgery date had to be rescheduled! I made it 11 days before I learned it was cancelled! I hope that you can do this, and I know you can, because it's for your health. Focus on what you are trying to achieve and know that you CAN do it! Take care, Jean PS I had thyroid cancer nearly 3 years ago and continue to be cancer free!
Andi190827
on 6/11/07 9:48 am - Fort Leavenworth, KS
Linda is right, we can all lose weight, we just can't keep it off. You can do this!! I had to lose 5% of my weight before my surgeon would even submit to insurance. I lost it in 19 days (16 lbs). I did a high protein diet, not as strick as Atkins though, and drank and drank water. Just make sure at every meal you are eating your protien first (just like post-op), limit your carbs when you can (I tossed the top bun off of chicken sandwiches or an Arby's roast beef for example) and drink no less than 64 oz of water a day. Stay away from high sugar drinks like soda, juice, etc. I was a Dr. Pepper-aholic. I drank 4-6 cans a day. I gave it up cold turkey, haven't touched it sense. The three day headache sucked, but I'd do it all over again in a heart beat! My favorites are peanutbutter toast, tuna fish, pot roast (I put the meat in the crock pot in the am and have a super soft juicy dinner), cottage cheese, wheat thins with crumbled cheese, garden salad with grilled chicken (I also do the dip the fork in salad dressing first), grilled chicken sandwich, etc. You CAN do this! I've seen many different ways to do it, as I've read about so many people having to lose ?? lbs before surgery. Find one you can live with for the next couple of weeks and go for it. Just think of your reward for doing it!! Congratulations on your surgery date!! I'm just a couple of days before you, on the 6th!! Andi
poeticmom
on 6/11/07 10:25 am - VA
WOW!, U ARE RIGHT, I CAN AND I WILL DO THIS! Thanks for the support and great feedback , it's amzing how even though we are all perfect strangers we share the same common goal, HEALTHY LIVES!, I got some protein powder and I will try my best to drink all the water tomorrow, I got some great tips, ive been goin gto the pool with the lil ones for at least 1 n half hours, so I know Im on the right track with the exercise. I will continue to update u , and again, thank you really for this push!, my girlfriends dont even know(only one) and u guys are great!!.
Linda_S
on 6/11/07 3:55 pm - Eugene, OR
Wooohooo! You GO GIRL! You can do this. I'm glad you weren't offended by my post and took it in the way it was meant. I'm happy for you. Linda
Andi190827
on 6/11/07 5:06 pm - Fort Leavenworth, KS
YEAH!! I know it can be overwhelming sometimes, but you'll do great!!
poeticmom
on 6/12/07 12:13 pm - VA
Hey guys, lil update, I got in 41 grams of protein today n drank about 50 oz of water (couldve been more though) but , besides the notice in my more frequent bowels due to the increase in protein, it wasnt so bad. I ve heard bout "protein headaches " though, u can get em from too much protein n ur body not gettin used to it, so tomorrow I'll increase it, but again, thanks for ur support!!. ;-)
Most Active
Recent Topics
FREEZING COLD
kateyeburger · 0 replies · 627 views
Liver Shrinking Diet - GO BACK??
4Synergy · 0 replies · 1381 views
July 23rd - Surgi-versary
4Synergy · 0 replies · 935 views
3.5 years out!
Rianne D. · 0 replies · 807 views