Anybody with sleep Apnea issues?

MsGriff07
on 6/21/07 4:45 am - Philadelphia, PA
I've been diagnosed with moderate sleep apnea and i was only told this yesterday at Pre-op So I was asked did I have a c-pap machine and that 200 hrs needed to be logged ? The people at the sleep study place never called me or wrote to say I needed this equipment (I had this done on 6-8-2007) and I thought this was going to change my surgery date. Needless to say my birthday remains the same:party: Has anyone heard that you can have this surgery without using this machine ? actually I get my machine on the 27th 6ix days before my surgery...yikes :help: Carla
Linda_S
on 6/21/07 7:22 am - Eugene, OR
Carla - I have sleep apnea and got a CPAP machine, but had to take it back because I felt like I was suffocating when I was using it. I have asthma too, so I would fall asleep well with it and then wake up feeling awful and gasping for air. I returned it to the doc's office. I was going to wait and talk with him about it, but after cooling my heels in his office for 1.5+ hours waiting (I did have an appointment), I just left the machine there and went home. I hope it doesn't affect my surgery date! Linda
Jacqueline H.
on 6/21/07 7:57 am - Lawrenceville, NJ
Carla, I don't know if not having enough time to use your CPAP would slow down the surgery or not, I'm sorry. I was diagnosed with moderate sleep apnea in 2004, and I have to say that I have come to love my CPAP because I sleep better than I ever did before with it. Of course, it's still enough of a pain in the neck to want to get rid of it some day because I can't camp, have to take it when traveling, etc. I'm hoping I improve enough post-surgery to go off! Good luck with the situation and please keep us posted.
MsGriff07
on 6/21/07 9:12 am - Philadelphia, PA
Thanks Linda and Jacqueline I'm really worried about this I'm trying not to think about though. I always sleep good Even though my hubby says I do snore but I haven't lately. O wellJust something else to add to the list of things NOT to think about....yet
Nancy E.
on 6/21/07 2:10 pm - Colleyville, TX
Hi Carla, I was diagnosed with sleep apnea in 2001. I breath so much better using a cpap machine that I have never gone to sleep without it. I take it on vacation and when I had minor surger last year, I took it to the hospital with me. Some people have trouble using the machines, but I adjusted to mine the first night I used it. I'm scheduled for RNY on July 30 and will be taking the cpap machine to the hospital with me. Keep an open mind and think of the machine as your friend. Keep me posted on how you are doing with the machine. Nancy E.
MsGriff07
on 6/21/07 11:45 pm - Philadelphia, PA
Thanks Nancy I will definitely keep you posted.Congrats on your July 30 Birthday!!! Carla
Linda_M
on 6/24/07 5:36 am - Cocoa, FL
Hi Carla, I too use a CPAP and although I hate it, I use it everynight. I do sleep better, and function better during the day. I added the humidifyer to it recently because the sinus surgery I had last month made my passages very sensitive and the CPAP dried them out too much. It's much better now. The only advise I can give you is that you have to make up your mind that you are going to fall asleep with it. It took me about a week to keep it on all night. My unit comes with a 'ramping' setting that allows the flow to start slowly and build to full output. I HATE the ramp and just start it full power. I also found that a 10 setting wasn't enough for me, called my doctor and the techician came out and changed it to 12. I sleep well now even though I hate wearing it. By the way, we have the same surgery date! July 3rd. Good Luck
Most Active
Recent Topics
FREEZING COLD
kateyeburger · 0 replies · 627 views
Liver Shrinking Diet - GO BACK??
4Synergy · 0 replies · 1381 views
July 23rd - Surgi-versary
4Synergy · 0 replies · 935 views
3.5 years out!
Rianne D. · 0 replies · 807 views