Anyone else having problems with low blood sugar?

T. Howell
on 7/15/08 12:56 am - Winterville, NC
At first I thought no big deal I am a little shakey I just need to eat something. Well then it started happening more often and I realized I had just eatten something about an hour or 2 before it happened. I got one of my father in law's monitors and have started testing when I start getting shakey. I called my surgeon's office ( We have moved to another state so I can't go in to see him) and he sent me for some blood work a week and a half ago, but I haven't gotten the results yet. My biggest scare with it came when I was on my way home from the beach with my daughter. We had been riding for about 3 hours and I stopped for gas and potty breaks. I got out and we went to the restroom and felt fine. Then went out to pump the gas and got REALLY shakey. I felt really confused about everything. I knew what I needed to do to pump the gas but it was like I was having a hard time going through the steps. It was very scarey. I checked my sugar and it was at 51 which isn't drastically low but it was low enough to scare the crap out of me. I went and ate and made it home safely. I have been reading around that people are starting to have trouble with this after surgery. So I was just wondering if anyone else is experiencing this and if so what you are doing about it. Some of the articles I have read say that people are having to get part of the pancreas removed. AHHHH!!!!!! I really hope that is not the case!
Linda_S
on 7/16/08 2:07 am - Eugene, OR
I've had problems with this too. 51 IS a low sugar reading. Are you eating many refined carbs? They can cause a spike in sugar and then a huge surge of insulin, which can cause the sugar crash. I seem to be better after eliminating nearly all refined carbs from my diet. When I eat crackers, toast, etc., I have this happen a few hours later. Linda
H A.
on 7/16/08 2:09 am - NOR CAL, CA
I have heard of people with low blood sugar isn't is hypoglycemia? From what I understand this is a common side affect of RNY. I believe you can look it up and research more about it, but definitely see your doctor. My friends Dad get hypoglycemia and he takes a spoon full of peanut butter and said it works the best. http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hypoglycemia/DS00198
cycobusdriver E.
on 7/17/08 7:24 pm - ME
yes I also have this problem. I had it some before but now it is worse. I am year out and now I have learned if I have something to eat every couple of hours it does not happen. I almost passed out one night it is really scary stuff. Talk with a doctor, but my told me just to eat every 2 hours. Barb
sallyone
on 7/25/08 11:53 am - DIberville, MS
I JUST had this happen on Saturday... We had just eatten dinner and were out shopping... while walking thru the store I told hubby that I felt a bit off, like my equalibrium (sp?) was off... then my vision started to go when I blinked... Needless to say we got out of there and went home, I checked my blood and my sugar was 50... I ate a tootsie roll (yeah I know not a great choice, and I dumped on it... LOL... but that was the first sugar since surgery...LOL) My sugar rose to 56 about 30 minutes later... by bed time (2 hours later) I was at 64. The next morning I checked my sugar and I was at 64.... it stayed low all day, never getting above 70. I asked my PCP, since I had an appt with her and she said to watch what I am eatting and try to eat more frequently... so now I am eatting all the time it seems like. Still making my good choices, some not so good..arrgghh...but that is ok. I still get that weird feeling but nothing like when it hit 50. By the way, my sugar has always be lower, never high at all... I wonder if that has anything to do with it getting real low now. HUGS Susan
Chris Jordan
on 12/15/08 5:00 am - Mansfield, TX
This just happend to me on Saturday 12/13/2008. I'm an actor and was on stage when I got light headed and dizzy. I brushed it off, but it happened two more times before the end of the matinee show.

Then during the dinner break (I knew I needed something to eat), I started feeling dizy and nauseaus, and my limbs and face went all numb and tingley. I had no idea that this was a blood sugar thing. I had Type II diabetes before my surgery, but once that went away, I stopped checking my blood sugar levels (I don't even have any strips anymore). I'm almost a year post op (1/30/09 will be my anniversary) and this is the first time this has ever happened.

So I had a friend take me back to the theatre (we still had an evening performance to give) so I could lay down. I found that I had trouble walking. I was so confused and scared that I was on the verge of tears. I had to have help walking to the car and then again from the car back into the theatre.

I thought maybe I'd gotten dehydrated again, so I was sipping watter, but that wasn't helping. The room was spinning, and I was tingley all over, and I started shivering. I got under a blanket and had someone hold a hair dryer under the blanket for me. I was SO cold!

I was about to go to the ER when someone else came back from dinner and said that it sounded like low blood sugar. I got some OJ and a Snickers bar, and started feeling better within about 20 minutes. The shaking went away, the tingeling went away, and accept that I dumped on the candy bar (really badly) I felt better. I was able to go on with the show (thank god) and now I'm just out trying to learn what I can about low blood sugar especially in connection with RNY.

Most Active
Recent Topics
FREEZING COLD
kateyeburger · 0 replies · 627 views
Liver Shrinking Diet - GO BACK??
4Synergy · 0 replies · 1379 views
July 23rd - Surgi-versary
4Synergy · 0 replies · 933 views
3.5 years out!
Rianne D. · 0 replies · 807 views