Roux en Y July 7

shadowgwm
on 6/24/09 9:13 pm
The days are counting down.  It actually was a quick process for me.  I went to my orientation in April and here I am only a few months later with a surgery date!  I have been walking more.  I gave up my pop and caffiene last week.  I am currently on my pre-op diet which is an all product, 800-900 calorie, high protein diet.  The food my doctor's office has is pretty good.  Of course there are some things that I like more than others, but over all I like most of it.  My doctor has a line of snacks and cereals that I found on line.  You can get a sample pack for $7.50, plus postage.  It has all 3 types of cereal, (apple cinnamon is my fave) and several types of their protein chips, pretzel sticks, etc.  Check out their website at http://www.kaysnaturals.com/  I have lost 8 pounds so far, so I'm pretty excited about that.  I'm hoping to lose at least 20 pounds prior to surgery.  In the past I did a medically managed weight loss program eating all product and lost 16 pounds the first week, so I don't think 20 in 15 days is unrealistic.  I am very excited to get the surgery.  I have ordered a couple of books about emotional eating and started journaling.  I am going to do all I can possibly do to make a change for life.  I've noticed in journaling that I associate places with food, so that is one of the first changes I am making.  For instance, I was going to bible study last night.  I thought yummy, they have the best ice cream in that town.  I stopped and thought, "I can't eat ice cream."  Now when I think of that town, I think of my good friend Catherine who is the pastor of the church where the bible study is.  It's amazing how our minds work.  I don't believe that this will be an easy road, but nothing worth having ever is.  Being healthy and being able to ride every roller coaster in the park are just two of my goals.  I'm going to get there!

Have a Great Day Everyone!
Congrats on your surgery dates!
Greg
PoohkinandPiglet
on 6/25/09 5:30 am - TX
Congratulations, Greg!  You're date will be here before you know it.   If you haven't checked out Shelly, aka Eggface's, blog  www.theworldaccordingtoeggface.com  she has a bunch of recipes for protein ice cream.  Her other recipes are delicious too.

Good luck!  Keep in touch.

Sharon 
shadowgwm
on 6/25/09 9:30 pm
Thanks for the encouragment and the link!
logansmom243
on 6/25/09 11:35 pm - Acushnet, MA
Hey we are having our surgeries the same day. Good luck friend!
Laura M.
on 6/27/09 1:27 pm
Greg,  I enjoyed reading your post.  Will be having my surgery in October.  I meet with Surgeon on July 6th, and that starts my 3 month waiting time for my insurance.  I have to loose a total of 5% of my weight before October.  That's only 15 lbs for me. 

I really am impressed with how you have become aware of the emotional eating.  That is something I'll need to work on.   What books did you find? 

Good luck with your surgery and God Bless.

Laura McD
shadowgwm
on 6/28/09 5:07 am
Laura, One of the books my surgeon's office recommended is the Beck Diet Solution.  It's not a food program, but a head program. :)  It's using cognitive therapy to help you deal with thoughts that sabotage your goal.  So far, I've really enjoyed it.  The book sell new for $30, but I found it a brand new copy on half.com for around $10.  I would recommend it.  I'm sure there are other books out there, but this is the one I know about.  Right now while you're waiting would be a great time to read it.  Who knows, it may help you lose a lot more before your surgery. 

Have a Great Day!
Greg
Laura M.
on 6/29/09 12:43 pm
Greg,   Thank you so much for getting back with me.  I'll look for the book.  Do you have to do a liquid diet?  If so how is it going???   I'm not too worried.  I did a liquid diet a few year ago (of course I didn't keep my weight off). I could tolerate it again for 3 weeks pre and a couple weeks post.  I'm looking forward to following your progress.   Have a great day.   The day of surgery i'll be saying a prayer for you.   Laura McD
shadowgwm
on 6/30/09 10:01 pm
Hi Laura, Sorry it took me so long to get back with you.  I"m not on a liquid diet.  I'm on an all product diet.  So it includes shakes, protein bars, protein entrees, protein pretzels, gelatin, hot chocolate, soup, and cereal.  All of these items are high protein and from my doctor's office.  Most of it is pretty good.  I can't say that I don't miss regular food, but as of yesterday I had lost 17 pounds.  So it's working.

Keep in touch!
Greg
Most Active
Recent Topics
Hello 2009ers!!!!
saletiajohnson · 2 replies · 834 views
weight gain
sexyshoediva · 3 replies · 708 views
Still trucking along
babyface12 · 1 replies · 948 views
2013 Update
2_be_me_again · 1 replies · 1038 views