Question?

tina0226
on 5/4/04 2:17 pm - Greenwood, IN
Hello! I have a question for all of you? I had my RYN on 08-19-03. I have went from 263 to 172. The past 2 months I have only lost a total of 9 pounds, and so far nothing this month (from April 19 to today). I have acutally gained 2 pounds. Not sure if that is due to lifting weights and doing toning to help my skin or if it is just being a woman and getting to be around that time of month. Regardless I am scared to death ... I don't want to fail ... I don't want to be 263 pounds ever again. I am worried that I either don't eat enough or eat to much ... can you give me an idea of what you eat on a daily basis and how many calories you take in? And how many carbs? Or any suggestions you can give me. Thanks, Tina
champagne3456
on 5/4/04 11:24 pm - Lincoln, RI
Hi Tina. As far as what I eat, at least lately, you don't want to know. I have been eating horribly. I had my RNY on 8/26 and have lost 96 lbs., but have been on a plateau for about 2 weeks. However, I know that it has been my own fault. I've heard that this is common at this stage in the game. I've been teeter tottering between 170 and 171 for two weeks. It's so frustrating!!! My wedding is 6 weeks away!
Kathy K.
on 5/5/04 11:43 am - NC
I think I am in the same boat with you I have lost 80 lbs since August and scared I have not lost any in 2 month's. I dont go over 1200 cal a day and drink a protein shake everyday for breakfast and drink my water and exercise too what gives is the Honeymoon over as they say.... I heard after 6 months we lose 2 lbs a month I have 10 lbs to goal Hope I make it by my anniversary aug 13th. which will be 155 lbs might want to lose a few more. Naw I am healthy now thats what counts. I feel wonderful. and I have cheated along the way Well I did not have brain surgery? But thank goodness I cant eat sugar and fried foods anymore they make me dump... But love popcorn and fritos and corn curls wonder why they are fried why dont I get sick from them... I try and write down everything I eat everyday it really helps and I am surprized to see I never eat over the 1200 cal- mark in fact most of the time I eat under that.if you figure this out let me know....
Di N.
on 5/8/04 3:10 am - Richmond, va
When I went into my Dr's on the 6th mnth she stated 2 start eating 1000 cals a day...and dont eat junk 2 get it up that high..I started eating around that ...even around 1200 and that increased my carbs and fat and I stopped losing for almost two mnths...ugg..Ive restarted my Low Carb and my cals went 2 around 850...now my wt has started dropping again ...thank God..It was driving me crazy DI 239/142.2 Ok I need every point/ ? who knows...just happy If U dont already use fitday.com...I sure would..its great
debbiew69
on 5/8/04 9:22 am - wonder lake, IL
weight loss slowing down is normal and as you exercise you gain muscle that could be the 2 extra pounds. you need 800 calories to survive i eat about 1000 calories a day. if you dont eat enough your body will store everything you put into it. then the weight losss will slow down or stop. i am not a big carb watcher i watch my portion sizes and my sugar and i ma doing fine i have lost 103 pounds since 8/4/03 you are doing great keep up the good work an average day for me is breakfast- coffee and a cup of cereal snack- cottage cheese 1 cup lunch- yougert 1/2 cup refried beans dinner meat veggie and potatoes snack pop corn i drink juice diet soda water during the day
tina0226
on 5/10/04 1:16 pm - Greenwood, IN
Thank you all for your support. It is nice to know I have a place to go when I am feeling lost! Tina
Freda G.
on 5/11/04 11:05 am - Columbia, MD
My rny was 8/26 and I sstarted slowing down on the weight loss a few weeks ago. I just hit 102lbs lost after staying at 99 for what seemed like forever. I went from 304 to 202....wearing 24's and 26's to 16's (mostly.) I've got 48lbs to go to get to my goal and I know it's gonna be a huge test for me to rid myself of the last of the "old" me. I stepped up the exercise -- I do Pilates every other day and hit my treadmill for 30-45 minutes daily. I started walking at lunchtime for about 15-20 minutes now that the weather has gotten better. I think once I did that, the weight started to fall off. More than that, though, I've seen a big difference in clothing size. I found myself go from a 20 to a 16 in no time flat after I ramped up my exercise regimen. Guage your loss in inches and not pounds. As for food, I try to eat 6 times a day....usually high protein cereal with a few strawberries and hot tea for breakfast. My morning snack is 1/3 cup of roasted soy nuts -- 11 grams of protein in that serving!!! Lunch is either a small salad w/ some grated cheese and oil/vinegar or a 3 oz can of tuna with a few whole wheat crackers. Afternoon snack is a small vanilla yogurt with a few slices of banana. My dinner is a small chicken breast or a Boca burger with homemade thousand island dressing. And my evening snack is a glass of milk. I can't handle protein shakes any more so I try to have protein in every meal...or sprinkle unflavored whey protein in whatever I'm eating. I drink water, decaf iced tea, Fruit 2 O, and Crystal light lemonade. I always have a water bottle in one hand!!! I realized early on that I have to be fully conscious of what food I put in front of me. Don't get me wrong -- I have my days where I crave a snickers bar and I MUST HAVE CHOCOLATE!!!! I have a snickers from January in my freezer--I cut it into 1 inch pieces and stuck it in the freezer for when I have a choco attack....the 1 piece cures the need and I'm satisfied. I know what'll happen if I eat the entire thing -- and I have no desire to dump!!! Keep up the great work....you'll be fine!! Don't think of what was.....imagine what will be. It's not how far you fall....it's how high you bounce!! Freda
AngieNYC
on 6/27/04 4:11 am - Brooklyn, NY
thats so strange I think we all went thru the same plateau. I hit a plateau in May and then in June I just dropped pounds. I am also finding it hard to get all the food in, I know I would lose faster if my body wasnt storing it. I'm a late eater I dont get to breakfast until like 10:30am because I am spoiled and have to have coffee first. Maybe I will invest in some flavorless protein and start sprinkling it in what I do eat.
Sherry H.
on 7/12/04 10:56 am - Marshall, TX
Be very careful if you are lifting free weights and or machines. That is how I knew I had stapleline failure,got up from the leg press machine one morning and a pain shot thru me like fire,couldn't even walk out of the gym,my roomate carried me out! Also, I had gained some weight,but didn't think much about it at the time. Have an upper gi done,it will show immediately if something is wrong inside!! trust me on that!! am just wondering about the lap band. I had open RNY surgery in 1997,revision for stapleline failure in 2000,another revision for stapleline failure Aug 2003 where the dr actually seperated my pouch and stomach so no more stapleline,not to mention the fact that when my dr had me open he accidentally cut the left lobe of my liver,had to have emergency surgery since he sewed me up(knowing he cut my liver,have medical records as proof) I was bleeding internally. Then was sent home after 2 weeks w/drain tubes,which he took out a week later,got major infection back to the hospital again! Then found out(because I insisted on upper gi & i was throwing up all the food I put in my mouth and even some liquids) that I had an esophogeal fistula. The gastroenterologist told me he had never seen anything like it in all his yrs practicing,it is a hole right where the esophagu****s my pouch,and if you know anything about anatomy the left lobe of the liver(remember which my surgeon cut!!) sits right next to where the hole is. I asked the gastro dr could the hole have been caused by suregeon cutting left lobe of liver and maybe also piercing esophagus in the process.....he said he couldn't say yes or no to that question,but could be likely(these 2 dr's are colleagues after all,ya know!) Was put back into the hospital for 2 weeks and left w/feeding tube in me which I had to put liquid crap(food/formula like stuff) and it had to pump all day and all night(not to mention I pulled around an iv pole behind me, that's where the bag of crap hung from). Did I mention I couldn't work during all of this,actually was off work for a little over 8 months!!!! I couldn't have anything by mouth for about 3 months,just the crap thru feeding tube. Also, did I mention when I came out of the hospital,the day before Christmas(only because I begged my dr,told him really I was going to be home for x-mas not in some hospital) not only did I go home with the feeding tube but I now had a lovely hole in the center of my chest which was an actual tunnel all the way down to the hole(esophogeal fistula) in my esophagus/top of my pouch!! Once he had me off the feding tube and back on liquids/food everything I put in my mouth came oozing,sometimes gurgling/shooting out of this hole in my chest!!! Oh yeah,also if the food/liquid doesn't come out the hole,no worry I throw it up instead...and I mean everything I put in my mouth comes out one way or the other!!(I throw up usually 8 or 9 times a day,on a good day!!) Now,on July 7,2004 went in for my dr to try,& I do say try,to fix the esophogeal fistula. He and gastro dr i mentioned earlier,gastro dr with an EGD scope,and surgeon from the outside thru my lovely chest hole and went in & they each shot this stuff kinda like glue(not really glue but a fibrous tissue made from human and cows,forgot real name of it)...so that each shot this stuff into the fistula,or what I like to refer to as my tunnel. I had nothing by mouth from 7/7/04 until 7/10/04 when my surgeon decided to have me try clear liquids(which aren't really all clear??)anyway and see how I tolerated them,if I could get them down and keep down he would send me home! Yeah on 7/10/04 that morning got my tray of chicken broth,orange jello,grape popsicle and tea. I drank half the broth and 2 bites of popsicle and jello. When my dr came in to discharge me & change my dressing over my hole,low and behold the dressing had purple and orange liquid and was pretty soaked!! He said looks like it didn't work Sherry,but at least we tried!! So here I sit @ 128 lbs and still losing(unfortunately) very depressed and I have no energy most of the time. I try to eat but everything comes up or out the hole!! I totally regret ever having this surgery!!!!!!!!!!!!! I would rather be 313lbs anyday than to be where I am now,and no quality of life!!! My dr can't figure out why I keep throwing up and can't fix my hole either,so..hum...where does that leave me? Needless to say when off all that time from work I tried to find/get another dr but none will take me because of what has already been done to me and that l am a "liability" now. Funny isn't it,sometimes you have to be careful what you wish for!! The real kicker is that I didn't have any health problems at all back when my journey started in 1997 other than just being fat,and no insurance so I paid for surgery out of my pocket(3 yrs worth of payments..pd off surgery just 2 months before 1st stapleline failure)...go figure,huh!
Most Active
Recent Topics
I had my surgery in 2003
lacrimablu · 0 replies · 894 views
Question Please?
jacreasy · 1 replies · 778 views
Weight Gain Off track
DROBY · 3 replies · 1030 views
low red blood cells and iron
MTITTLE · 2 replies · 796 views