Question Time

Loucaz
on 7/10/06 10:39 am - Santa Ana, CA
What was your personal opinion about the surgery? I found out about the surgery in my job. 2 girls had surgery to cure their obesity. I noticed a huge difference in their physical looks. They looked great. I was getting bigger and bigger. I was trying all kinds of diets to lose the weight. I was also trying to by taking exercise classes or joining a gym. I was out of control. Many co-workers were starting to tell me that I should do the same. I would always say never. I would rather die than have the surgery. Remember that was my old opinion. I would say God made our stomach a certain size for a reason. I thought that I was messing with Gods creation if I had the surgery. The company closed down and I got even bigger. I was morbid obese. After falling on my face, not being able to walk, having hypertenion, sleep apnea, high blood bressure, almost diabetes, and many more personal problems, I decided it was the best thing for me. No one from that old job have seen me since my surgery. I don't know how I will react if I ever saw one of them. Today, I do believe in the surgery.
girly_girl
on 7/12/06 3:15 am - McChord AFB, WA
My opinion of the surgery was that I was horrified at the idea of it! I was so afraid that something would go wrong. I wasn't at all willing to risk my life to be skinny, I thought it was vanity. But the more I researched it the more I realized that my ignorance was what was making me fearful. Now I am greatful for it. I just want to stop people who look or feel as miserable as I was and tell them about it (I don't of course because then I would be a huge jerk)... but I want to. My life is 100% better and different. I could not imagine being over 250lbs again. Angelina 5'4" 253/149/135-140 someday
Loucaz
on 7/12/06 7:24 am - Santa Ana, CA
Angelina, thank you for responding to the question. Maybe it was also igonorance of my part when I didn't believe in the surgery. Many times I also look at people that are obese and feel I can relate to them. I ask myself why don't they have the surgery to help them lose weight. Maybe they don't have insurance that covers the surgery. Or maybe they don't want to have the surgery. Yea your right, they would call us huge jerks if we came up to them and told them about the surgery. Keep in touch and take care.
Kristy T.
on 7/13/06 2:41 pm - Stockton, CA
I was never really against having the surgery, I just never thought I qualified for it. My friend had open RNY in 6/03 and was telling me to do it. I kept saying "no" because I thought you had to be 300-400lbs to get it done. See...my friend is barely 5'2" and on the day of surgery was 376. I am 5'3" and was at around 250...so I really didn't think I would qualify. But once I did a little research and found out that I did qualify, because my BMI was over 40 plus I had more than 2 co-morbids...I was all for it. Kristy EDD 8/6/06 - 24 days to go 36w4d It's a girl - Alice Kay
Lauraj64
on 7/14/06 6:53 am - Montgomery, AL
Louis: I was never against the surgery. My own mother had a similar surgery (Intestinal Bypass) to lose weight in 1980 and she did really well...and is still alive today because of it. Naturally, I tried everything in the world to avoid the surgery, but after getting so big that my bones were snapping and breaking....I knew that I would have to explore seriously my surgical options. I got the nerve to finally talk with my husband about it. He was surprisingly supportive! It took a few years to get an insurance that would cover it, but when that happened, I had already done my "homework" and I jumped on the process train and got it done within weeks. Last week, while serving as a volunteer counselor at an elementary age church camp, I found myself running....I was actually RUNNING! I was so surprised. When I arrived at the group of girls that was walking together, I wasn't winded. It's like I'm living in a different body! Never in a million years would I want to go back to my "old life" of obesity. I am thrilled with my new body. I love the way I feel---the way I look---the way I enjoy eating again (just less food and better choices.) ~Laura
Linda Ton
on 7/17/06 7:01 am - Pontiac, MI
Hi Louis I was terrified of this surgery. I knew noone who had done it and only heard horror stories. As my health got worse my pcp started talking about it and what good results i would have. i started researching and doing seminars and decided to go ahead. in the year it took for approval i got excited and couldn't wait....but then the day came. I was supposed to be at the hospital at 7 am. i didn't even get out of bed til then LOL. My husband was yelling at me reminding me how hard i fought for approval. My surgeon called me at 8 am and asked what was wrong.....he settled my fears and i got to the hospital at 930. Now i advocate the surgery as much as i can and plan on doing seminars soon for my surgeon. by the way, i should have a new pic on here this week. I don't know how good it will be since my sis in law took it and i didn't see, but it was a spur of the moment thing. Sorry it took me so long to respond, my dsl was out, i guess they expect you to pay the bill LOL Hugs Linda
Most Active