Recent Posts

John Crawford
on 8/29/15 4:10 pm - Phoenix, AZ
Topic: Wow, it's been 11 years!

I haven't been on this site since 2008. It was needing my original "before" picture that brought me back, and I wanted to say "Hi" to the folks on the board, but I see no one has posted here in 4 years...

I, like most folks as they age, have gained some weight back (My all-time low was 255, I hover around 300 now) but overall have had excellent health.

I hope everyone is well!

John

Natalie O.
on 8/4/13 1:05 am - West Winfield, NY
Topic: Ive gained 70 lbs back....

Its been 9 years since my Roux en Y surgery and I have gained 70 back out of the 120 lbs I originally lost.  I am not happy and I feel like I've totally failed.  I would like a lap band revision, but my insurance won't pay for bariatric procedures. Im not sure how to proceed.  Does anyone have any suggestions?

blondieblueeyes
on 7/21/13 3:43 am - Cincinnati, OH
Topic: RE: Hi August 2004 surgery buddies!! How are you doing? Any Issues???

Hi there!... My RNY was done almost 9 yrs ago and I was 400 pre surgery and now im about 160 and am currently wearing a size 10 jean and about to drop down to an 8 :) . I have had very little problems .. I am anemic and I did develop an intestinal blockage which i got taken care of and everything is great!  The only problem I really have is I cant afford Plastic surgery so i have some extra skin left that I HATE! i also battled with low B12 also which I gave myself shots and I havent really had any other problems. I wish you all the best!

Hugs to you!

christine

cathyarcher
on 1/14/13 2:52 am - Plainview, TX

I also had surgery in Aug 2004 and I have been wondering how others have been since then  too! I haven't been on this site in years but I have been telling my sister what a great site it is at the beginning of our journeys! I started at 295-300lbs and lost to 145lbs for 2.5 seconds!!! I gained up to 180 and immediately went back to basics! My Dr had said that often patients will gain 10-20% of the total you lost. I float between 169-174lbs.and it is still an everyday struggle. I prayed I would NEVER forget I had the surgery and my prayers were answered (now sometimes I wish they hadn't been answered! LOL!) I still get sick when I eat too fast or too much! I don't exercise as I did after the first few months but I am still much healthier than I was 8 1/2 yrs ago! In the past I would get so annoyed when I heard people say they would like to lose ~20lbs and here I am saying it now. But it seems this is the weight my body is comfortable with and I was told by medical professionals that the number is not that important that our body will get to a  particular size and that is ok. I feel pretty good at this weight and eat what I want to but not as much as I want to! My sister had her RNY Dec 21, 2012 and is struggling with hers so I guess we all are so different. She is losing fast but she throws up everyday! So here it is a new year I hope you will be able to start with that in mind and get back to where you feel better about yourself! You did awesome losing 1/2 your total weight! WOW! That was alot of weight to loose! So you can do it again!!! Hang in there and deal with ONE DAY AT A TIME!

pattyking
on 1/9/13 4:16 am - FL

Happy New Year!  I have been a member since the beginning of 2004 and had my surgery on August 4th, 2004. I can not believe it has been 8 1/2 years. Congratulations on your remarkable weight loss. I think you have done great and you should not doubt your success.  It is never an easy journey and many factors can influence our scales. I am 55 years old and have quite a few chronic health issues as well as being post menopausal. I started an estrogen patch a year ago and it has helped me tremendously. Talk to your doctor.

I had put on about 10-12 pounds over the past 2 years, but have lost about 10 pounds over the past 6-7 months. I just went back to the basics and stopped eating the minute I felt full. Now I eat 5-6 times a day, but really small portions and again, I quit when I get full. I just started going to the gym again also. Just started that for the new year.  Hope I can keep it up. I lost so much muscle tone it isn't funny. Hope to tone up and get my head in a better place as well.

It was really nice to hear from someone from long ago who is still keeping on. I miss my support group and the support that comes with the initial weight loss journey. Would love to get some regular feed back/support from others who are further down the road and any words of wisdom from a veteran WLS patient. . Good luck and hope you start feeling better soon.

Take care,

Patty M.

divine1
on 12/26/12 9:35 am - KS
Topic: Hi August 2004 surgery buddies!! How are you doing? Any Issues???

I haven't been to Obesity Help in about 5 years. I did so much better when I visited here often and stayed "plugged in." I was 352 pre surgery, got down to 176 and became anemic. Gained up to 249 last summer. I am now at 210 and a size 16 or large. I feel pretty good at this weight and am now dealing with menopause and thyroid issues along with low vit. B12 which I get monthly injections for. My personality seems to be changing and not for the netter. I seem irritable and emotional a lot and am wondering if anyone else has experienced this. Am not sure if it is rny related or something else.

Hope everyone is doing well!!

Much Love.

digitalcat
on 11/7/12 9:55 am - goldsboro, NC
Topic: RE: Group Hug

Sorry I missed this post hope you had a wonderful birthday and many more wonderful ones to come....

digitalcat
on 11/7/12 9:51 am - goldsboro, NC
Topic: RE: Considering a revision ... I have failed my tool..

I too have gained I was 340 went down to 155 now im at 184 I am upset but hey I not giving up yet I have been watching what I eat and making sure I drink my water, I went back to curves Im not about to let this 30 35 ponds let me down yet ..... so I decided to come back and see what is cooking here . My motivation is life and Im not giving up yet .....I still have fight and I will try to lose this I have no insurance so I wont be having a revision I think I can handle getting rid of that little bit of weight

digitalcat
on 11/7/12 9:44 am - goldsboro, NC
Topic: RE: Gained and now can't seem to lose - so depressed....

Im the same right now trying to watch what I eat and stop snacking upping my water and started back exercising I too never made it to my weight and Im up to 188 I am very disappointed but im not giving up I need to lose 30 pounds and I will ......

RMaze
on 2/13/12 10:29 am - Mooresville, IN
Topic: RE: Considering a revision ... I have failed my tool..
What is a pouch test?  I've been at goal for several years, but was down with unrelated health issues for seven months and some estrogen packed on the lbs. all 2 months' time.  How can I gauge what my pouch capacity is?

Definately eating more processed foods laying on the sofa recovering, I can change that, no problem.  Back up and moving too.

What else can I do?  Do I need to go back to active bari loss phase or go with a low fat, high protein, veggie diet as in weightw****rs?

TIA for any info
Most Active