Pre-Op Diets

PigsRFlying
on 7/19/07 11:40 am - Waxahachie, TX
How many of you have to do a pre-op? How many of your surgeons will not operate until you have lost weight?
brdttd4
on 7/20/07 8:36 am - mount vernon, KY
I have to do a low carb diet to "shrink" my liver before surgery. No one said anything specific on losing weight before they will do the surgery... but i guess if i am doing the low carb pre-op, i will surely lose something.
Voluptuous1
on 7/20/07 10:49 am - NY
Yes they told me the same thing. They didn't stress it though. I don't know if it was because of my weight (245lbs) or what. Just go for it and you will be fine...smile. When is you WLS scheduled for? Well good luck.
brdttd4
on 7/20/07 12:39 pm - mount vernon, KY
my surgery is scheduled for August 21st, 2007. I think yours is first... so good luck. Keep me posted on how it goes for you.
IowaGirl
on 7/22/07 3:56 am - Iowa City, IA
I'm on day Four of my liquid diet. Doc requires it to shrink my liver. 14 days of clear liquids. BLECH! Surgery date is August 2nd.
Teena C.
on 7/23/07 1:29 pm - Crandall, TX
My doctor required 7 days of liquid diet before my surgery. I start that on friday. I was just told as long as you can drink it through a straw it is fine. We have people in our group that have drank milkshakes. I am diabetic so that won't work for me. But I am going to try and keep to things that I could possible drink after surgery on my liquid diet. But I have also been told that what taste good before surgery may taste awful after surgery. So I guess we are all in this together. I know we will all make it. I was told it was to shrink your liver too but I also think it mentally prepares us for what lies ahead.
Midgie67
on 7/24/07 12:23 am - Yuma, AZ
Does a liquid diet just consist of things like broth, protien shakes and maybe jello? Or is it something the doctor perscribes? I was thinking of doing that myself to see if I could lose any weight before I have surgery on the 21st of Aug. Doctor only said she would like me to lose a few pounds to shrink liver a little.
kellysbabes
on 7/24/07 10:36 pm - Farmville, VA
Ashley, I am on the 8th day of my pre-op diet and I have lost 18.4lbs. You can eat sugar-free popcicles (the ones that are like fruit juice frozen, they can't have any cream in the middle), sugar-free jello, low carb slim fast (I like the chocolate the best, I fix my in a small blender, I put 7 cubes of ice and the slim fast, blend it. If it looks icy at the bottom when you get to the end it suppose to be, thats the best part. You can also have bullion, broth, don't forget you can drink ALL the WATER you want HA HA!! My doctor did not tell me how much to lose, just to do what the pre-op diet says and stick to it. Keep in touch with you progress and good luck. Lisa
MaryEL
on 7/23/10 1:38 pm - Roaring Spring, PA
Hello, everyone.....this is MaryEL.....Just curious about the pre-op diet....one fellow I know had to eat only 400 calories.....didn't know it was a clear liquid diet...I can do that, as I had a long history of diverticulitis and clear liquids and antibiotics were the cure....sometimes I had to do that for seven days while working 12hr shifts.....boo hoo....Thankfully those days are over as I am retired now....and I had surgery to remove the damaged sigmoid colon.....someone else told me she had to do protine drink and piece of fruit for breakfast and lunch then a large salad with meat for supper, with fruit as snacks in between......I guess it is up to the doctor you have....

Hope you are all very successful in your journey with weight loss.....I am just beginning......thanks for sharing.....MaryEL 
Most Active
Recent Topics
Fills
nickilin · 0 replies · 742 views
5 years..feel great!
frazier · 0 replies · 773 views
5 years ago- Change my life!!
MELISSA52879 · 0 replies · 1016 views
5 years out..today
1hipmom · 1 replies · 903 views
how is everyone doing?
frazier · 2 replies · 950 views