Renewed Effort

Iced Latte
on 9/29/08 11:52 pm - Northeastern, LA
Well I am one that has not made it to goal yet.  So many of you, the weight just seems to fly off.  I did great until about June of this year and haven't lost a pound since.  I started at 250 (with a high weight of 270) and am down to 156.  I have 11 pounds then to get to "goal" but I've been so stuck.

Yesterday, I had a body composition test done.  Based on my frame and weight of my bones and body fat %, it said that I needed to lose another 38 pounds of fat and gain 4.4 lbs. of muscle.  Ugh.  I also found out that my BMR (basal metabolic rate) is lower than I thought....so that explains why eating 1200-1400 calories has kept me at a standstill.

So, I am starting today on a renewed effort.  I am really sticking to the basics, reducing the carbs and upping the protein, reducing the calories!  And though I've been running 3 miles about 3 times a week, I am going to work on adding in more exercise.

Wish me luck.  I'd really like to get to goal by Christmas and start working at exchanging body fat for muscle!

frazier
on 9/30/08 2:49 pm - Hamilton, Canada
Hi,  It really sounds like you are doing great.  We all seem to lose at slightly different rates.  I think most of us have much higher expectations of ourselves than our surgeons had for us.  It's funny how even after losing all those  lbs we can still be a little disappointed.  Before the surgery I told myself that I would be happy if I made it to 180.  I just wanted to be healthy.  Now I feel pretty healthy but I'm not thrilled about my loose skin and the fat I see under it...especially the tummy.  Your goal is a good one.  It's much more difficult to lose now so it sounds like you have all the right plans to get to where you want to be. The tests on bmr are pretty interesting.  I wonder if there are good ways to boost bmr.  I know having more muscle is one way so running 3 times a week must be helping some.  Good Luck.
Fran
Kathleen L.
on 9/30/08 8:39 pm - Lawton, OK
Hello and nice to see you!  Hi Fran!!!  Everyone is so different.  Our bodies, our metabolisms, our lifestyles.  It is so neat to see everyone's success!  You have done wonderfully!  I wish my weight flew off...I had to work at it, and now have to work to keep it off.  Not fun, not easy.  People make me laugh when they find out I had RNY and they say I took  "the easy way out".    Honestly, to me, it was easier to stay big.  But definitely NOT healthier.  I am happy and blessed to be feeling stronger, and better.  That is what is most important to me.    I hope everyone has a wonderful day!  It is starting to get chilly here...winter is definitely coming (yay!!!)  Much love to all...Kathleen
TaraWynn
on 9/30/08 11:11 pm - Midland, MI
Dear Iced Latte,

I am not at goal, and have about 30 or more pounds to go. I am amazed to see that you have done so much, I have never had a composition test or anything like that, good for you!!!!
And you are exercising regularly, wonderful for you!!!!! I think you have half the battle won in that you actively care and are working at it. I understand how you feel, I feel that way too, but you ARE a work in progress even if the scale doesn't show any loss.
Good luck and keep writing, you inspired me today!!!
tara
Most Active
Recent Topics
Fills
nickilin · 0 replies · 742 views
5 years..feel great!
frazier · 0 replies · 773 views
5 years ago- Change my life!!
MELISSA52879 · 0 replies · 1016 views
5 years out..today
1hipmom · 1 replies · 903 views
how is everyone doing?