disappointed

sabsab
on 8/3/08 12:27 pm - Topeka, KS
I got my lap-band on June 25 this year. I lost about 15 initially with the liquid diet. I gained back a few. I just received my first fill and still not good results. I don't think this is going to work for me. I am hungry and just don't seem to have much luck. Most days I get 1200 calories or less by pure will power. Today I probably doubled that. My doctor said this would not work for everyone, but I sure wish I was having better luck. Anyone have the same experience and helpful hints?
zlynnc
on 8/4/08 12:52 am - BEAUFORT, NC
Remember the lab band is slower than RYN and the other procedures. You will still taste food normally and want it, just can't eat as much in one setting. You will still have hunger. Remember to drink alot of fluids to help curve it. It is taking my sister in law awhile also. But in a year out it starts to equal out with alot of us light weight Gastric by pass folks. You may need it tighten more. Don't be afraid to hollor louder to the doctor to fill it more. ALot of people have several fills to find the right fit, your not alone. You know it can be very depressing to listen to all the others lossing so much weight and they will especially the first 6 months but it is different for LAP people. If it depresses you too much I would suggest hanging out at the LAP board becuase 1 they are going through the same thing and can relate and 2 you won't be comparing yourself with folks who have had a different procedure. Lossing weight and being depress goes hand in hand with any diet and will bring you down mentally. SO surround yourself with people who are positive and walking your same road. Certainly check in here but intill you get on your feet mentally don't sabotage yourself reading about those who are losing so much do to a different procedure. The LAP works but works best with a positive mind set! Good luck and you know you can do this!
Siobhan OLeary
on 8/7/08 4:13 am - Patchogue, NY
RNY on 08/18/08 with
I had my lap-band for four years with 3 adjustments and I didn't lose any weight, but I was drinking while I was eating. Are you doing that? Not drinking was the key to getting "full"! And I wasn't following that rule. I was also letting my mind say I was hungry when my body was full and at times getting sick because of this. In December I had my band taken out and I have gained 40 pounds! It was working! but I was making it more difficult on myself and not paying attention to the signals my body was giving me. I hope this helps, it may not be the same for you but after four years I had many ups and downs with my band and I hope this will help.
jakisha
on 8/7/08 4:25 am - san antonio, TX
I can kind of relate to your situation. I was also worried that I was not loosing enough after my first fill but some helpful things are to not chew your food so much to make it too mushy because it falls through the band easier causing you to feel hungry sooner. If you must snack between meals try fruits or veggies. I have found sunflower seeds to be a good snack that will curb the hunger in between meals. Also eating more protien in your meals before eating your sides also helps curb the hunger. Eat on a smaller plate to trick your mind into thinking you have a whole plate of food( this has worked really well for me) My dr wanted to become more aggressive with my fills and wanted to do them every two weeks for the first 2months after surgery to help speed the weight loss. Maybe you can ask your dr if you can get the feels every two weeks versus every month or as needed. Hope this helps.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Been gone a long time
RaeRae1 · 1 replies · 1113 views
Ghost Town
Dot T. · 0 replies · 873 views
Join us in 2010
John W. · 0 replies · 848 views
13 months post op sleeve
reneeskids · 0 replies · 1084 views