6 mo. supervised diet

amylou
on 8/25/08 4:25 am - hopkinsville, KY

Does anyone know if when doing the 6 months diet required by insurance if you gain or lose weight (which) will it hurt your chances of approval?

MintyMew
on 8/27/08 7:53 am - Katy, TX

I had to do 4 months, and all that I was told was that they are looking to see if you can follow a program.  I lost a little, very slowly, and I was still approved. 
A word of caution, make sure your appointments are at least a month apart.  My last appointment was around the holidays, and it was a few days short of the full month since my last visit, and it didn't count.  I didn't know that right away, and had to start ALL OVER.  It had to be four CONSECUTIVE MONTHS with the dietician.
That was a real bummer, and very discouraging.  I just realized that I want the surgery so bad, that this was just a bump in the road.

The other thing that sometimes happens, is people start to eat a lot right before surgery, because they think they will never be able to eat it again.... they call it "last suppering".  I didn't have the urge, but my husband kept on asking me, "don't you want to go out and have one last steak tonight, etc?"  So, he was kind of my bad influence.  I gained a few pounds at the end, but it didn't affect my getting approved.  Don't know if that is the same for everyone, so just be careful.
Hope it goes well! 

shutterbunny.weebly.com

amylou
on 8/28/08 2:33 am - hopkinsville, KY
Thanks so much for your reply! I have lost one month but gained 2 lbs or 1 lb for the last 3 months so I am discouraged. I have also been told that if u don"t lose they will not approve you and somone else told me that you need to maintain your weight???  Congrats on your surgery!
Hope you are doing well!
Amy
ngravesmayer
on 9/8/08 6:07 am - maple grove, MN
I just switched insurance companies and the new one requires 6 mos. medically supervised diet.  I saw my Doctor in August and will see him in September.  I'm so glad I read you informtion about making sure these appointments are at least a month apart.  Thanks for the good info. 
I'm on track to have WLS in January or Feb 09.
Thanks
Nancy
Most Active
Recent Topics
Been gone a long time
RaeRae1 · 1 replies · 1113 views
Ghost Town
Dot T. · 0 replies · 873 views
Join us in 2010
John W. · 0 replies · 848 views
13 months post op sleeve
reneeskids · 0 replies · 1084 views