1 wk post op and hungry? or head hungry?

3-Alts
on 8/28/08 4:56 am - Virginia Beach, VA

I am 1 wk post op and I feel hungry!  I didn't think I was supposed to feel hungry after RNY.  I keep reading about how everyone else isn't/wasn't hungry and has/had to force themselves to eat.  I started soft/moist foods on Monday and eating about 1 ounce but I feel like I could eat more but I am forcing myself to stop.  I haven't had that full or satisfied feeling yet.

Is something wrong or is this just head hunger???  I don't want to do anything wrong!!!

I am so upset!!!! 

MelissaPye
on 8/28/08 3:13 pm - Thunder Bay, Canada
Hi there, I am also just a week and a bit out of surgery. I have been a bit hungry also (but I started my period yesterday which is usually a very snacky time of the month for me). I really want to eat something, but I am refraining...Sometimes I wonder if he even did anything in there, because I really feel no different than I did before...I dont really need to take tiny sips, and haven't had any problem getting in liquids. I actually cant wait to be on the pureed foods...I really am looking forward to eating something.
Melissa

izzyboo
on 8/29/08 7:15 am - PA
i had surgery a week ago yesterday.  i have been feeling okay.  not hungry really but at the same time i dont have to take baby sips and the only thing i really havent been able to eat is the jello i lived on before.  it just makes me feel full.  i had a hernia when my surgeon got in there so sometimes its like i wonder is she fixed the hernia but didnt do the the bypass cuz i just dont feel full or anything.  i would talk to someone at the dr office.  when i your next appt?  good luck with everything!!!

beth
Shella M.
on 8/29/08 3:04 pm, edited 8/29/08 3:05 pm

I am one week one day out and I feel hungry.  Well it could be in my head too.   I was telling a friend last night.   I made my boys eggs for dinner and thought about taking one bite.  It probably would have filled me up.  Then I thought no maybe I better start with cottage cheese so I took it out of the refridgerator and opened it... stood there and stared at it and thought no heck no!  I'm not cheating.  I am supposed to be on clear liquids til my doctors appointment next wednesday.   I wanna be able to look that man in the eye and honestly say I have stuck with what I was supposed to do... And to be completely honest?   I took the boys to disneyland because I was afraid to stay home anymore.  I needed to get out.  It definitely took my mind off the food.   Had a great time and got some exercise in the process.   Don't think I could have done better than that.   :)

Don't be upset.... Give yourself some credit.    How many times in your life have you went a couple of days without eating... much less a week.   You are doing great!  

Shell RNY 8/21/08

dawnie810
on 8/30/08 4:03 am - Chepachet, RI
Hello there,

I just posted something on my page about this hunger thing.  I was hungry on the day I came home from surgery, it was insane!!  It's an awful feeling to be this hungry and know that you cannot touch food.  I'm sure a lot of it is mental but I can feel my stomache growling.  I'm having a very difficult time w/ this but I am trying to occupy my mind w/ other things.  So your not alone.  I thought I was too until I looked on this website for people who had experienced this also.  Hang in there, we'll be eating something w/ substance in no time!!  You can do this!!
Dawnie
Jody H.
on 8/30/08 9:05 am - Des Moines, IA
I am on day 5.   Lots of noise from my stomache and intestine ... but also lots of nasuea and foamies .     I'm allowed water, jello, and broth - but I have the saltiest taste in my mouth - so broth just sounds horrible.

Like some of the others - i also feel like I could drink more than i should.  It's hard to put that guard on and sip.

Just keep sticking to the plan.  You might be mis-reading the hungry/full feeling.  It's my understanding that because nerves are cut it will be awhile before we will be able to accurately 'feel' anything.

ELGREEN32
on 8/30/08 11:57 am
I too am one week post op and i am really only having a problem with head hunger. as far as my stomach goes i have felt full or like i always have a gas pocket in there. My Dr. has me on Protein shakes for up to 3 weeks before anything else. But i do feel all of your frustrations. On the day i returned home my brother, whom lives with me, made a huge pot roast. The smell killed me as my mouth watered uncontrolably. I was not hungry but i don't think any of us got into this mess by eating only when we are hungry! I find myself wanting to eat, but just to eat. It is flavor i miss the most, but we will all have that if we just follow our programs. good luck to all and i hope I've helped someone as i know your comments help me.
donnaS1
on 8/30/08 3:57 pm - San Antonio, TX
I had my surgery 4 days ago. I've been wondering if I'm hungry too.  But, I think it is just gas rumbling around.  I am really not having trouble staying on the clear liquids.  Others in my family are eating normally and it hasn't bothered me at all.  My problem is dreaming about eating.  Every time I go to sleep I dream that I am eating something that is off-limits.  It's driving me crazy!  I wake up in a panic that I have blown it.  Wow, this head hunger is going to be hard to break!

Is anybody still having pain?  My left, upper side is really painful.

If you have Faith nothing shall be impossible for you.
Matthew 17:20

Shella M.
on 8/31/08 2:06 am

Oh Wow!   I thought i was the only one that did that ... I went to sleep the other night and had a nightmare that I had eaten all of a subway footlong but a couple of bites.   I threw it in the trash and was so scared and ashamed.   Then my son woke me up asking for my cell phone to play games on it.  Whew!   I was so happy he did.  It definitely has given me more incentive to stick with the clear liquid thing.   And what the heck I am 10 days down and 3 more to go til my doctors appointment for my next instructions!   :)

Shell RNY 8/21/08

twincitiesbear
on 8/31/08 2:37 am - Burnsville, MN
I can't say that I have been physically hungry, but I can tell that my head it trying to mess with me.  I have stared down the container of cottage cheese as well thinking one bite won't hurt.  But, I am sticking to this come hell or high water.  The cream of wheat, pudding, and yogurt are getting old, but I will be able to move on in a week to pureed.  Halleluah!

Hold your head high, you are doing a great job!
Michael
High/surgery/current/goal
409/383/223/225

Most Active
Recent Topics
Been gone a long time
RaeRae1 · 1 replies · 1114 views
Ghost Town
Dot T. · 0 replies · 874 views
Join us in 2010
John W. · 0 replies · 849 views
13 months post op sleeve