Now I know what they meant...

Shella M.
on 9/7/08 9:48 pm

The whole time I went through bariatric classes (6 months worth) and my doctor continuously pushed having a good support system regarding surgery and weight loss.  Yesterday I blew it.  I took 4 bites of an avocado.  I am still supposed to be on soft foods but the ones my doc said I could have were yogurt, eggs, and cottage cheese.  I paid for it dearly.   My tummy hurt for over an hour.   My tummy may be different but my head is still the same and I know I need to work on this bigtime.  It's interesting that when I was reading the boards (usually on the california boards) I thought about eating different things but it really wasn't a big deal.  I have went back to work and have been forgetting the Protein drinks here and there.  Never did that while I was hanging out on this site either.  Sooooo,  I have came to the conclusion that I need to hang out a little more on this site for the support.  Anyone else feel the same way?

Shell RNY 8/21/08

jiji21
on 9/8/08 11:22 am - fort stockton, TX
well.... i do have good support but i made the same mistake this evening.  it's my birthday and our tradition is going out to eat so i decided i would have soup and mashed potatoes.  i've had instant potatoes but not real ones and i'm paying the price now.  this is the first time since my surgery on 8/26 that i've had an upset tummy.  live and learn!
WendyWindow
on 9/21/08 2:37 am - UK
The one thing I have felt has been missing from my VSG process is counseling to sort your head out in terms of the emotional aspects of eating.  I am loving the weight loss, but there have been times when I have come home from work, tired and stressed out and eaten something wrong or too quickly and then suffered the discomfort.

I still need to figure out how to deal with built up stress differently.  Dare I say......I have on occasions missed that warm, fuzzy feeling I used to get when I flopped on the sofa after a hard week on a friday night with a bottle of wine and large Thai or Chinese take away! This week however, I have lost quite a lot in one week so no negative thoughts about the past!

Re the protein, I had my surgery in the UK.  They have at no point made too big a deal of the protein.  I was told to eat my protein first but have not been taking protein shakes or anything.  Can you tell me more about the advice they give you over there on this? The only other thing I know is that protein helps prevent saggy skin from weight loss.
catinthehat
on 9/24/08 8:33 pm - New Zealand
Hi Wendy, there seems to be conflicting advice abut whether sleevers need the protein as much as the bypassers do...my nut. is huge on me having protein 60g-80g per day, its wuite challenging getting that much in most days. I believe it helps you lose fat rather than muscle in this intial period of rapid weight loss...takes longer to process so you feel full longer....
Catherine
Most Active
Recent Topics
Been gone a long time
RaeRae1 · 1 replies · 1115 views
Ghost Town
Dot T. · 0 replies · 874 views
Join us in 2010
John W. · 0 replies · 849 views
13 months post op sleeve
reneeskids · 0 replies · 1087 views