from an 'old-timer'!

wooddell
on 8/7/06 7:27 pm - Wilmington, NC
well, last year this time, I was seeing my surgeon for the first time and I was so ready to have this surgery done! I was so disgusted with myself and everything all over hurt and was tired all the time! I had my surgery on September 13, 2005...and in retrospect, it is one of the very best days of my life! Right up there with wedding and children and grandchildren being born! I've lost 125 lbs in just under 11 months and I feel fabulous! Everything is so much easier to do and be when you are thinner! I still have about 12 lbs to go. I had a lot of nausea right after surgery, but that was the only negative...almost no pain from my lap RNY. I had the surgery on a Tuesday and worked half a day on Friday that same week...half days for the next week and then back to full time. I felt and feel fabulous nearly 100% of the time! My best advice to all of you is to exercise, exercise, exercise...even if it's 'just' walking. Get yourself an iPod or MP3 player or something like that and load in some walking CDs and get going...even if it's just 10 min right now, start it NOW and don't stop. That has helped me keep the weight loss going and I'm over 50, where it's a little harder to lose that weight. I also am able now (as of January, 3 months after surgery) to do Jazzercise for an hour a day, 3 days a week. Be sure to get in your surgeon's requirement of protein each day (I still make sure to get at least 80 grams of protein), and water (I still try to get at least 100 oz of water/day). This means that I start the day with a protein drink that's at least 40 grams of protein. I weigh myself every single morning. I can take it if the weight stays the same, or even in a few instances, goes UP from the previous day. I can handle that...and I'd rather know what it is..get yourself one of those digital scales where it gives you an exact weight in lbs and tenths of lbs. I still use Weightbydate.com, which is downloaded on my Palm. Others use fitday.com. Either way, it's the best way to know what you're consuming in calories and protein and water, as well as how many calories you're expending in exercise. It also will help project how long til you reach your goal weight. Feel free to email me with any questions and good luck on your journey...it is SO WORTH it!!! I love being in size 12's and 14's and having pants in a size PXL fall off my hips!! Pam 9-13-05 5'2" 282/157/145
Most Active
Recent Topics
It's been 9 years yall!
jenn_in_ky · 1 replies · 595 views
food
Jessica H. · 2 replies · 762 views
Having a hard time
rspeters · 6 replies · 1104 views
Cold Hands and Feet
Ted R. · 2 replies · 1161 views
testing
JessicaMarie · 0 replies · 722 views