Anyone on Sept 15, 2009? Anxious, nervous, freaking out??

Diane324
on 9/11/09 5:13 am - Apalachin, NY
I'm scheduled for Tuesday, Sept 15, 2009 - basically just over 4 days away. I even know I'm going about 1:15 pm and who the person before me is. Some how none of that knowledge is making any of the nerves any calmer or the anxious thoughts go away. I know this is the right thing - I've been with my surgeon for 13 months - and in a support group for 11 months. I made this decision almost 3 years ago - and I've lost almost 80 pounds getting ready for this surgery. So why am I SOOOO freaked out?

Is anyone else having friends/relatives being "less than supportive"? I have had people flat out tell me that I shouldn't have the surgery - "you've already lost weight, just keep going" - funny thing is, the person who told me that has been overweight most of her life.

I understand that they are concerned about me and they even think they are helping - but it's not like I decided to do this last week and I don't know what I'm getting myself into.  These are the same people who watched me lose 140 pounds 5 years ago, and then gain 170 pounds back.

I know RNY isn't perfect - and the outcome is totally dependent on my commitment to changing my lifestyle. Surgery is a tool to add to my arsenal to fight obesity. I've spent 3/4 of my life fighting, and losing this battle. This time I'm going to win - I'm determined, armed, able and ready. And I happen to have one H**L of a surgeon on my team.

I want to say Thank You to the people in my support group - you've pulled me through some rough times. You've inspired me with your amazing weight loss successes. You've shared your ups and downs with me. Without your support, I wouldn't be as ready as I am - and I think it's probably normal to be nervous and anxious.

Do I have any Tuesday surgery buddies out there?  How are you doing? Any thoughts?

I will say I have survived the liquid diet a lot better than I thought I would. I dropped 11 pounds - though that last pound keeps coming and going LOL.

Would love to hear how anyone else is doing!?!?
              389    /    310      /    226  /   165      /     140

Consult / Surgery / Current / My Goal / Ideal Weight 

-25.5 BMI Points / -158 Pounds
~*~*~*~Diane~*~*~*~              I can do this - I AM doing this!   
teresa79
on 9/11/09 5:36 am - Fowler, IN
I'll be your surgery buddy. My surgery is at 7:30 a.m. and YES, I am scared as well. I have waited so long for this and now I am scared. LOL! I start my clear liquid diet on Sunday morning. I have also lost weight pre op..44 pounds so far. Right now I am a nervous wreck and I just want to already be 2 weeks post op. =) I have a 2 year old son so I am having scary thoughts because of him mainly...he needs me so much. I'll say a prayer for you and I hope you have an easy and smooth surgery.

Teresa Danielle
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers 
Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers 
Lilypie Maternity tickers
Diane324
on 9/11/09 11:06 am - Apalachin, NY
Have you been on a liquid diet at all prior to surgery? I have been on protien shakes and salads w/fat free spritzers and plain veggies since Sept 1.  There were a few rough days - the Labor Day picnic - my family is big on food. Probably the reason so many of the people in our family are big. It's been pretty easy to fall into the groove when something tempting isn't in front of my face.  My kids had Burger King for dinner tonight - it was so strange to have food smell good and nauseating at the same time. I'm a little terrified of the post op phase of the surgery right now - but it will be ok - we will both be ok. I will say a prayer for you too - keep me posted on how you're doing before and after surgery. TTYS!

Brenda B.
on 9/12/09 1:45 pm - Gaspé, Canada
teresa, I am wishing you a safe surgery and an eneventful recovery..... I am also on the 15th!

big hugs are sent your way...

brenda b
jinger J.
on 9/11/09 8:52 am - Toledo, OH
 Hi Diane, I am only 4 days out and I believe the hardest part is before your surgery with the liquids because you know it  you cheat it will go down okay not like after surgery. I wasn't so n ervous and anixous until that morning when I really thought about getting out of there and heading for Bob Evans but I knew I would hate myself  for not going thru with the surgery . I had 2 angels (best friends) who were with me through the whole thing and never tried to talk me out of it..pretty good friends I'd say. My surgery went well with very little pain. I had to spend an extra day at the hospital because my labs were screwy and a low grade temp.My husband was not supportive at all as he has a weight problem also so he knew that his eatting buddy was not going to be anymore. He is now better and trying to be supportive but we will see. People at work always asked me why are you having that done so I just stopped talking about it and did what I needed to do for myself and you need to do the same.I do find these past few days any little thing makes me cry but Doc. says it's hormones so I will cry and deal with it and I will be okay.Best of  luck to you and keep your eye on the big picture and take one day at a time..I'm trying also.I will keep you in my prayers.
Diane324
on 9/11/09 10:54 am - Apalachin, NY
Cindy - I'm SO sorry your husband hasn't been there for you - I hope the improvement continues. Do you think there is any chance your husband will change his habits as he sees you change? Do you have a support group - in addition to your best friends? I have a close friend who is about 5 years post surgery and has been really encouraging and supportive. My mom and sister have been supportive for the most part - my weight was part of the reason my husband and I split up. Technically we are still married - but only on paper. I do worry that he will be interested in the "new me", but I'm not interested in the "same old him". I do hope to fall in love again - I'm 41 - and I know the odds are against someone my age finding a husband, but scr*w the odds, right?

I'm encouraged by how many people have said they didn't have much post-surgery pain. After over a year of using percocet for lower back pain, it seems like the liquid vicodin could be a joke. But I've been told my surgeon doesn't tolerate his patients being in pain - so I'm sure he will make sure I'm not unbearably uncomfortable.

I suspect hormones may be the culpret for your emotions - I find I have been moody since the liquid diet started. Several people in my support group have said the first month or so post surgery were very moody (read Witchy with a B). It sounds like its harder on women than men - go figure.

Keep me posted on your progress, this is starting to be exciting!

jinger J.
on 9/12/09 6:35 am - Toledo, OH
Hi Diane, I have been with this man for almost 30 years and yes there is alot of water under the bridge. The weight thing will probably be the last straw but we shall see.I don't look for him to change his habits he never has after all these years so I have little faith that will happen. My youngest son asked me well what about Dad's health and I just said that's on him.Basically we live together but we each go our own way. That's sad but that's what is and I have acceppted it . I still can do afford to go on vacs. with friends and so it works I guess for both of us because believe you me he is off doing his own thing also.I'm not close with my family but consider my friends family.I am finding this first week is hard because I am hungry and doc. told me he gave me a really tight sleeve. I will call office Monday and ask if that is normal.You are getting closer to your date so I am hoping peace for you.I know in the long run we are going to shine and be healthy, Cindy
Diane324
on 9/12/09 9:58 am - Apalachin, NY
Cindy -
I've read that WLS can be rough on a marriage - especially one that is already on the rocks.  But people can change - IF they want to. I hope things will get better in your marriage, but it sounds like you're already in the right place  in your head. Aside from being hungry, how much are you getting down at one "meal"? I'm assuming you're on liquids for now? I'm not familiar with the sleeve, I've heard of it, but its not offered here in my area. Keep me posted on how you're doing. I will keep you updated on how I'm doing too.
Diane

Pisces61
on 9/12/09 12:34 pm
Hello. I am scheduled for the 15th as well. I think I am over (well almost) the scared state, but we shall see if that changes by Tuesday. This liquid diet is killing me right now. I had to start last Tuesday. The first couple of days were actually not bad, but I would be in heaven to have a salad. I am trying to remember that at least I did not have to do it for three weeks like some doctors like. I wish you the best and if you want to friend me that would be great. We can do it!

Pisces61

Diane324
on 9/12/09 1:01 pm, edited 9/12/09 1:16 pm - Apalachin, NY
I have to do 2 weeks of liquids, but I do get to have the salads and the non-starchy veggies ( as long as I don't put anything with fat or calories on them ). It's been ok - except for the Labor Day party with more food than anyone could eat. Of course I think everything was something I love - ha ha. Add me as a friend - your profile is private, so I can't add you, keep me posted - I expect to be home Thursday or Friday - how about you? You're right - we can and WILL do this!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone do the 5 day pouch test?
itallica · 1 replies · 941 views
Progress
kearstyn · 12 replies · 1238 views
Calling all September 2009 peeps
Papoose79 · 18 replies · 1793 views