Surgery Date 9/23/09....What!!!

CaliLuvJones
on 9/12/09 2:28 am
Hey Everyone, I just went to my pre-op appt on the 9th and they gave me a surgery date for the 23rd! I was fine that day but now Im freakin out, I jus realized thats in less than 2 weeks and I have 5lbs to lose by then. I cant seem to keep these last 5lbs off for surgery so anyone with tips or tricks send them my way please!!! Im 25 and Ive never had any surgeries before so Im sooo anxious and nervous about it. I know its the right thing in my head at least, but Im having all the "what if" thoughts and "am I making the right choice" ones too. My family is kinda supportive but wanted me do get LB instead so theyre not happy about it. I guess any encouragement at this point would be greatly appreciated Thanks everyone!

sheree171
on 9/12/09 3:51 am
Well this I have learned...my mother and my daughter was not happy that  i choose the by-pass surgery. One day (my mother works at a bank) this lady came in and my mom asked her how she was losing her weight. She then told my mom she had gastric bypass. They discussed the surgery and talked about it even after that day. My mother called me and gave me her number so that I would know what to expect. Every since then my moms been at ease with this whole thing. My daughter, not so receptive. I think my mom knows that if I don't do something the weight will eventually make me very ill and she sees how reclusive i hhave become. So my advise to you is find somebody that has had the surgery and have them talk to your mom. It help tremendously to have your mom as a major support link! I wish you the best good luck with your surgery and I will keep you in my prayers...sheree
Just Believe...

(deactivated member)
on 9/12/09 5:29 am
I know EXACTLY how you feel. I was excited and nervous all in one. I think the person who helped to make me feel good about it while I was in the hospital waiting for my surgery was the anesthesiologist. He said that it was good that I was smiling because that energy helps. He was so smooth that I didnt even notice him injecting me with the medication. He looked me in the eye, talked to me and the next thing I knew I was in the recovery room. It couldn't have gone any better. Just remember to sip water and WALK. WALK, WALK, WALK. It will help. Everytime you get your pain medication get up and walk.

Also, know that most people have doubts and regrets after the surgery. That's common. Just think about the ultimate goal and remember this quote "If there is no struggle, there is no progress" FD.  Keep saying that to yourself ok? Good luck.
Diane324
on 9/13/09 12:20 am - Apalachin, NY
Hey - my family hasn't been overly supportive either. At first my mom was dead set against the surgery. Then she had 2 co-workers who both had the surgery and lost a lot of weight and she became more supportive. Recently one of the two has regained a lot of the weight she lost, and my mother has become the devil's advocate for "a lot of people gain their weight back" ... I guess she thinks I haven't done any research or don't know the statistics. But, I also know that staying in my support group is a big deal. So, encouragement here and from my support group is where I'm getting a lot of my strength.  I have about 48 hours to go ... for a day that I never thought would get here, it's really almost here! As for those last 5 pounds, drink, drink, drink. Lots and lots of water. I always wondered why - and it was finally explained to me. If we don't drink enough water, the kidneys don't function as efficiently as they are supposed to, so they push some of their work off on to the liver. So the liver can't metabolize fat as well as it should because it's doing the kidney's job. Just a thought - hopefully it will help you. Try to go for a walk everyday too - I'm not sure how long you have to be on a liquid diet, and your energy level will drop at first, but walking will actually help that. Just listen to your body and don't over do it. And lastly, take your vitamins, calcium and B12! Good luck! See you on the other side in a few days!
Diane
              389    /    310      /    226  /   165      /     140

Consult / Surgery / Current / My Goal / Ideal Weight 

-25.5 BMI Points / -158 Pounds
~*~*~*~Diane~*~*~*~              I can do this - I AM doing this!   
LinnieJean
on 9/14/09 9:42 am - Watertown, NY
RNY on 03/21/12
Hi! My lap band date is the 23rd too! I am doing great and so looking forward to this!!! I've been fighting my weight for 55 of my 59 years, and I'm DONE being fat!

We can do this.. you have to want this SO MUCH and stay on track...it's hard, I know but with support we can DO THIS!!!!

Lin in Watertown NY
Just M.
on 9/15/09 6:32 am
We have surgery the same day. Have you thought about doing a liquid preop diet? I will give you the low down on it.  I have lost 11 pounds in 1 week on this diet. and have another week to go.. I am sure if you can stick to this you will drop those 5lbs in no time. I drink water all day long to keep my stomach feeling full.

Breakfast and Lunch:   Protein shake (mix with water) I have peaches n cream and vanilla

Dinner:    4oz lean of broiled / grilled chicken, fish, or turkey with 1 green vegetable

2 protein shakes per day – may eat meal for lunch and have shakes for breakfast and dinner.

Avoid foods high in calories and carbohydrates: bread, sweets, beans, corn, onions

Also allowed in unlimited amounts:

Any beverage with artificial sweeteners:  diet soda, coffee, tea, juice

Water                                        Sugar free drinks

Sugar free jello                          Low calorie/carb broths

Sugar free popsicles                

Diet to continue for 3-4 weeks prior to surgery, and until the day of surgery.

No Last Supper!!!!   The amount of weight each patient must lose is individualized
I am so Grateful unto God and yes, I will continue Praising Him in Advance!
   287~267~249~135     starting/surgery/current/goal

Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone do the 5 day pouch test?
itallica · 1 replies · 941 views
Progress
kearstyn · 12 replies · 1238 views
Calling all September 2009 peeps
Papoose79 · 18 replies · 1793 views