can anyone share an exampled planned meal (liquid) schedule

pslagle
on 9/15/09 11:01 am
Good evening all,
I am scheduled for my RYN on 9-30-09. I am trying to get everything together, and the things bought i will need. I have definitly done my homework on the RNY. However I still fill so ineducated as far as the meal planning with the protien and all. I was hoping some of you could share your schedule with me. What and how much and when do you drink when first released from hospital? Do you have to eat broth? Is your protein shakes concidered part of your clear liquid diet. How much of everything do you eat. I was told to drink the Sugar Free carnation Instant breakfast, I was never even told about the protien until i found these boards!! I am really thinking I need a better nutritionist...lol.. For those of you already doing the protein shakes, what brand do you recommend. I have tried a few and I cant seem to get past the smell. Any and all information and help will be appriciated.
Thanks,
Paula

Kathy B.
on 9/15/09 11:20 am - Virginia, MN
Good evening,  Each MD has his/her own requirements.  By all means follow the requirements.  Now that said.  My MD wanted me on the carnation instant breakfast no sugar added diet with extra protein.  My instructions called for 5 shakes a day, spread out over the day.  I would mix all 5 in a pitcher in the morning with the extra 20 grams of powdered protein added.  Recipe: 5 cups 2% milk(need the fat for body to function), 5 packets of instant breakfast, 1 scoop or 20 grams of protein.  I use my stick mixer and get this all stirred then just shake and pour as each 1 cup serving is needed.  The extra protein did stop the hunger.  I was allowed sugar free jello, sugarfree popsicles, broth, water, crystal light, decaf tea and V8 juice as desired.

My other option was slimfast optima with added protein.  I much preferred the taste of the instant breakfast over the slimfast, plus cheaper.  The slimfast was more portable if I was going to be away during a meal time.

As far as the smell, put your shake in a covered container and sip.  That keeps most of the smell away from your nose.  It's only temporaary to get you through the surgery, then there are fun shakes afterward.  I am almost 2 weeks post RNY and haven't tried any of the fun ones, just my instant breakfast.  Hope this helps and best of luck to you.  Hugs, Kathy
OH Support Group Leader
Come visit us at the bariatric buddy group http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/bariatricbuddy/welcome

(deactivated member)
on 9/16/09 1:08 am

Hello,

Yes you definately need a new person because protein is an ESSENTIAL part of this whole thing. Your body does not replenish protein so it's VERY VERY important that you get enough protein or else it will have an affect on your organs. Protein is one of the basic building blocks of the human body.  I have to get in 82 grams of protein daily. Your daily total is based on your age, size and activity level. For someone 200 pounds it would be 74 grams. For someone 250 it would be 92 grams.

I worried a lot about my post op diet for three months before surgery but this is my 7th day post op and I'm loving life. Whatever I cook I blend.

My menu yesterday consisted of

1. Protein shake

2. Cottage Cheese w/ peaches (4tablespoons total)

3. Smoked Salmon with 5 crackers (4 tablespoons total)

4. Protein shake

5. Rice, Chicken and Gravy (4 tablespoons total)

Today I had a protein shake to start and then a small packet of oatmeal (4 tablespoons total) with SPLENDA suger. We can only have 12 grams of sugar MAX.

The first shake I purchased was Isopure Vanilla and OMG it was disgusting. I found a shake yesterday that is AWESOME. IF YOU LOVE ICE TEA YOU WILL LOVE THIS. it's a great alternative to those milky shakes.  It's called Nectar Lemon Tea sold at Vitamin Shoppe. The other shake is Unjury (chocolate flavor and unflavored) They also have chicken soup flavored. The unflavored can be mixed in with your regular drinks. I hope this helps. 

www.unjury.com

Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone do the 5 day pouch test?
itallica · 1 replies · 941 views
Progress
kearstyn · 12 replies · 1238 views
Calling all September 2009 peeps
Papoose79 · 18 replies · 1793 views