PROTEIN

IMFREE
on 9/18/09 11:25 am - DC
hi,

i had my RNY on 9/9/09.... and i have not been able to get in my protein. my husband is really getting pissed at me because i cant stand the taste. I have brought a few that i just cant get it down. i cant mix it with anything yet... so i feel like I'm up ****s creek..... i know that i need the protein for some reason or another... PLEASE HELP ME.....  I'm almost at the point where i wish i had never done the surgery...

momof687
on 9/18/09 3:12 pm - Evansville, IN
I am still a week away from my surgery, but in my nutrition class, we got to try a bunch of different protein drinks.  The ONLY one of 6 or 7 I could tolerate was Unjury.  There was one with strawberry unjury and SF lemonade that was actually good.  I have only found it on the Unjury website.  They have chocolate (much better than some I tried), vanilla, strawberry, unflavored and chicken soup.  Compared to all the others, this was great!  Good luck!

Karen
CHENA
on 9/18/09 11:37 pm

I had the same issue as you and tried a bunch of protein shakes...Try MAX PROTEIN
You can purchase online or at GNC...They have Chocolate, Vanilla or Strawberry.
I think Chocolate is probably the best...go to this website:
http://theworldaccordingtoeggface.blogspot.com/2009/09/drum- roll.html

It is a great resource to have...

Good luck

Debbie D.
on 9/19/09 1:03 am - Orlando, FL
I know that I am still pre-op (scheduled for 9/28), but I have been using the Unjury products since the first of September and love them.  After my initial order of single-serving packets - as a trial - ran out and I had forgotten to order more in time, I had to use some of the truly disgusting stuff I found at Wal-Mart that met the protien, carb and calorie guidelines.  It was simply aweful, I was so happy when my Unjury order came in!  They come in tubs that provide 15-17 servings each, depending on the flavor.

Neat thing is they have a Chicken Soup flavor that you mix with warm - not hot (must be under 130 degrees or it will turn to geletin, yuk) water and it takes exactly like a nice chicken broth, but with way more protien and less salt.

I use the unflavored in 1/2 strength crystal light for a flavor treat instead of plain water, but you can't even taste it in plain water either.

Chocolate is my favorite with milk and the vanilla is really good in yogurt or blended with milk and pureed fruit.

Yes, the protien is essential for proper muscle function and for many other parts of your body too!  You must, must find a way to get it in - along with all of your vitamin and supplements.

Don't get too down on yourself, I know that they warned us in our pre-op training that weeks 3 and 4 are the hardest; to expect lots of emotions, frustrations and possibly even a plateau.  BUT, the good news is that once you pass the 4-6 week point they say that things will begin to fall into place, your body will begin to cooperate with you and then things really get good!  Stick in there, everyone says this is the best thing you have ever done for yourself, but it takes some work to reap the wonderful benefits.

sheree171
on 9/19/09 2:02 am
someone told me of this BSN lean dessert (banana nut bread flavor). go to the BSN eb site. she claims its really really good. I have my surgery day after tomorrow and thats what i plan on drinking. I hope you find a solution...good luck...sheree
Just Believe...

IMFREE
on 9/19/09 8:25 am - DC
Thank you all for your encouraging word and advice on protein drink. i did or unjry non-flavored.. so hopefully this will work... again thanks for all of your support..
Dianna I.
on 9/19/09 11:27 am
Don't be so hard on yourself. You are going through alot of different emotions. Also remember that your tastes change after surgery so this may be playing a part. I am from PA.  Please visit the PA board.  There is a lot of support and recipes for different protein drinks. Liz is very creative with her recipes. The ideas they bring to the board will blow your mind!!!!

I have not had surgery yet.  I have my nutrtional evaluation at the end of this month.  Any advise on this would be appreciated.

Good Luck,

Dianna
Cynthjoy
on 9/19/09 3:37 pm - Wittmann, AZ
'Greetings,
I am right behind you with a surgery date of 9/14/09. I hear you about the protein issue. I would be fine if not for the diet. For breakfast and lunch, I get to take pills and a bite of applesauce. I am totally stuffed after that. Ugh. And then I just can't get much of the shakes down. I am just not hungry. Well, I am a RN, so I know what will happen if I do not get enough protein. My body will start breaking down my muscles to get enough protein, and I do not want that to happen. I just cannot afford any of the expensive bariatric specialty foods. It will be months before I get back up after coming up with my co-payment. Does anyone have any more suggestions?
Cynth
wife2denizmoi
on 9/20/09 12:49 am
Hi,

My surgery is next week, but a got a few to try. Isopure is not bad, especially the melon flavor. I also got some of those protein bullets, opened one, smelled it, tasted it, almost hurled and tossed every one of them. The Isopure was much better. I got it at GNC.

Best of luck.
Heidi
Brandi M.
on 9/21/09 2:45 am - Baltimore, MD
 Go to www.vitalady.com. You can order samples of all the proteins she sells on her site. She ships very quickly too.  I recently bought BSN Lean Dessert and that one is by far the best one I have tried. It doesn't have the bad protein taste or smell that seems to gag me. GNC carries it, but it's cheaper to order it online. 
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone do the 5 day pouch test?
itallica · 1 replies · 941 views
Progress
kearstyn · 12 replies · 1238 views
Calling all September 2009 peeps
Papoose79 · 18 replies · 1793 views