Gaining weight

bullwinkle22
on 2/21/08 3:35 am - Estes Park, CO
I had gastric bypass 10/07/01 and was loosing well. Then (with my dr's blessing) got pregnant and had a child. During my pregnancy I was told to break the rules so that I could make sure my child received enough nutrients. Now 3 years after his birth I am 70 lbs heavier than the day I found out I was pregnant. How do I get back to the rules after breaking them for so long. I don't know if anybody comes here anymore but I could really use some help if you are out there.
Christine H.
on 10/24/08 7:47 am - Olathe, KS
I wish I could help you.  I am 6 years out of having a BPD and have and continue to gain weight.  I eat more now than before my surgery.  If you get any great advice, please pass it along.  [email protected]
Jennifer H.
on 2/20/09 2:11 pm
hi bullwinkle,  I don't know if you still check back here.  You posted this a year ago.  I just re-joined here.  I had my surgery 10/01, too.  I had a daughter in '03 and another daughter in '04.  I wish I'd have come here a year ago so we could talk!  I relate to your situation.  I lost about 130 lbs, then got pregnant, broke the rules for the same reasons you did.  I now weigh 263.  I never ever got close to my goal weight, but of course I lost a lot anyway.  What's weird is I gained something like 19 lbs with daughter #1, and it came off afterwards in just a few days and it was effortless.  And I also began to lose at a steady pace (before the pregnancy I had plateaued for 6 months or so).  Then I got pregnant again 5 months after having the first baby.  I lost that baby weight fast, too.  But my habits after that were to eat ALL the time.  Because I couldn't eat much at once and I needed to make sure and get enough nutrition for the baby.  I just couldn not break that habit.  Then I know I can also eat more than I could the first two years after the surgery.  I still can't eat as much as I could pre-op, so you'd think I could still lose the weight, but it seems that I struggle with weight as much as I did before.  But maybe I am just not remembering correctly, because obviously I'm not over 350 pounds like I was back then, and I don't feel afraid that I'll ever get that big again.  BUT, weighing 260 is STILL very over weight.  Having had this major surgery 7 and a half years ago, all the pain I went through and money spent....I feel like such a failure.  I read one of my first entries on this site from before my surgery, about how I'd heard of people who had the surgery and then sabatoged themselves by eating high calorie/low volume foods and I swore I would never let that happen.  Yet, here I am still obese.  I don't even know if you will see this bullwinkle, but I hope you do so we can talk about it and maybe help each other.
Jenny
Most Active
Recent Topics
still thin
dolliegagnier · 2 replies · 1116 views
Gaining weight
bullwinkle22 · 1 replies · 605 views
6+ Years RNY Post-Op SUCCESS
Salgal01 · 1 replies · 719 views