Enemies?...after loosing 268 pounds

Cynthia Snyder
on 1/8/07 9:07 am - Butler, IN
Hello Everyone! I want to ask if any of you have had any negative dealings with people about your weight loss? Any close family members that you can tell are not pleased with you? I'm trying to learn to not care about what people think, but THAT's easier said than done!!! You would think that people would be shouting with you because of having your life back again...living...being ALIVE!!! I really would like to hear from those of you who could take the time to share your situations with me...I'd be very grateful for any insight. Thanks bunches!!! Love, Cindy
Laura B
on 1/12/07 12:47 pm - Vail, AZ
Hi Cindy, Unfortunately, not everyone is happy for you when you make a life change for the better. You have to remember that others in your life are likely to suffer from the same problems that lead you to seek help like WLS and admitting you are better off often means they have to look at themselves and deal with their own inadequecies. I talk a bit about my experiences in my profile which I invite you to read--I was yelled at by a co-worker and called some ugly names, but I won't let that deter me--I made the best decision in my life to have this surgery. The hardest part is letting go of relationships that don't support you and your life changes. I'm sorry you've also had some hard times with people, I know that their lack of acceptance and support is more painful than what is actually said to you sometimes. I can only recommend that you try to limit your time with these people and try to surround yourself with friends/family that are truly happy for you. I have a hard time just "getting over" what people think so I've made some new friends and changed my relationship with others. I will never apologize or justify my surgery to anyone ever again nor will I say I'm sorry for being successful in admitting my health issues and actually doing something about it. Other people are just that--other people. They have their own issues that you will never be able to work through for them. So be happy with your phenominal success and let "others" go! Best of luck, -Laura
buenano
on 1/19/07 11:23 am - AUSTIN, TX
I have to agree, I have had some issues with people... But I am very mouthy and refuse to let them steal my joy.... I did this for me... It is the only thing I have ever done for me..... So I pretty much have just decided they can deal with it, and if they can't say something good and nice to me, then I refuse to let them talk to me about it.... It May seem harsh, but tough love is sometimes the only way... I have found most people that react negative are misinformed and uneducated in WLS.....They have no clue..... Hang in there, and just be you, and look after you and yours... Don't worry what the others, freinds or family think.... You did this for you... Much love to you.
Most Active
Recent Topics
9 Years ago today
Blessed B · 0 replies · 715 views
7 YEARS AGO
Jane C. · 0 replies · 1066 views
7 years
sharonleanne · 0 replies · 813 views
Just celebrated 6 years!
smilesarepriceless · 1 replies · 1025 views