How are we doing at 15 months out?

(deactivated member)
on 1/15/07 9:55 pm - Cleveland Heights, OH
As Celia aptly observed, traffic in our October 2005 room has really quieted down. For those of you that are still checking in every now and then, I'd love to hear how you're doing. I for one am wondering if we're struggling with similar issues now, and how other folks are dealing with those issues. Also interested in how many people made goal, are still losing, are maintaining, and are gaining. Anyway, I'll start things off and hope others chime in! Starting weight: 396 Surgery weight: 386 Today's weight: 225 Goal weight: 165 Total lost to date: 171 I've been around the same weight for about 2 months now. I know that's because I've been eating too many calories on a day-to-day basis, plus too many of my calories are coming from carbs. So I'm trying something new for me - 5 mini-meals over the course of the day, plus about 400 calories at dinner time. I'm eating fewer carbs and a little more protein (averaging 120 grams day of protein). When I stick to this plan, it definitely works; it's just a matter of sticking to it for longer than a few days. I'm still exercising regularly by going to the gym 3-4 times per week, sometimes 5 times. I can do 40 minutes on the elliptical trainer, plus I'm back to lifting weights a couple times per week. My overall fitness has really improved over the past year and I know that's directly attributable to exercising. While I can't yet say I "enjoy" going to the gym, it's definitely become a habit. I still keep track of everything I eat and my daily exercise. I use a software program called "calorieking" and it's loaded on my PDA. By keeping track of everything I eat, I'm more mindful about what I put in my mouth. That doesn't always keep from making poor choices, but it does help me understand the relationship between how many calories I eat and what I weigh. Eat less, weigh less; go figure, eh? In terms of mental stuff, I still struggle with head hunger and emotional eating. The head hunger is challenging on a day-to-day basis; it's like there's a little devil on my shoulder saying "it's just one cookie, it's just 1/2 cup of ice cream, it's just...." I work hard to ignore that little devil! The emotional eating is an occasional issue for me and I've become much better at recognizing when it's happening. So while I do sometimes "comfort" myself with some sweet carbs, I really try to limit how far down that path I go. I think these will be ongoing issues for me that I'll have to keep working on a day-to-day basis. I'm still about 60 pounds above my goal and am still hopeful about getting there some day. At my current weight, exercise schedule and daily calorie intake, I suspect it'll take me another year to lose these last 60 pounds. But I'm committed to making that happen, and I'm committed to continuing to make healthy choices. Anyway, that's my world in a nutshell. I hope others will be encouraged to share their stories and let your October buds know how you're doing. {{{{{hugs}}}}} Kellie
vickie R.
on 1/16/07 12:24 am - danville, KY
Hi Kellie, well this is what i do that has helped me get rid of the weight lol...... 2000 cal a day i never count the fat i always do protein first i have 6 mini meals a day 2 protein shakes a day 100oz water a day starting weight 255lbs day of surgery 242lbs goal weight 140lbs todays weight 112lbs total lost 130lbs i also do alot of walking,and i ride my bike,but other than that i just take one day at a time............i have had some complications that has slowed me a little but i am back on track now...........i will tell you that i did fall off the wagon a few times during the holidays, i had cake,fudge,cookies,and crackers, but i had a bite or to not a whole cake lol..........i think that the main thing is for us to be honest and tell our oct peeps about our ups and downs,we knew this was just a tool and we are still learning everyday that we need to make better choices,so if you are having rough times oct peeps just post and we all are here for the same reason........to stay healthy!!!!! thanks for your updat kellie,you have came along way and you are doing what you need to to get back on track,if you need any thing email me ok...............vickie
Melissa F.
on 1/22/07 9:11 am - newnan, GA
Girl, how in the heck do you get in 2000 cals a day. It's so hard for me to get in 1200?
Erin Crane
on 1/16/07 2:35 am - Mechanicsburg, PA
Hi everyone! Crazy times going on right now. I have not been on much at all. Struggling with either not eating enough or eating too much. I hate head hunger and the fact that nothing bothers me when I eat it! Starting Weight: 310 Surgery Weight: 292 Goal Weight: 151 Today's Weight: 140 Total Lost: 170 lbs. ((HUGS)) Erin
gennylyn
on 1/16/07 5:30 am - Jonesboro, AR
What a wonderful thread. I have been wondering how everyone is doing. Surgery weight 357 todays weight 185 Toal loss 172 My goal weight from the start was to weigh 175 and wearing smaller than a size 16. well I have kind of made that. I am 10 pounds from the weight goal. I am below my size goal though. I wear between a 10 & 14 pants depending . I am in a large to med top. I am actaul happy with my size if it wasn't for my stomach skin and fat ( which still hangs to my thighs but is better than resting on my knees as it use to I have my consult for plastics in APril. I can still not eat hamburger or bread which is a good thing but I now like sweets which is odd since I never did before but I do eat in moderation ( 1 to 2 bites) one thing I have noticed latley is that I am allowing myself a taste of this and that when up until a few months ago I would never have even let myself look at it. I am starting to try to live normal but I don't want to be normal I think that will get me back where I came from. I have not lost weight in the last 3 weeks but ofcourse I was slowing down before that. I think my slowing down had to do with the length out from surgery ofcourse and also starting to eat more but also i have had hernia repair ( in August) and gallbladder removal ( last week) so exercise has been out the window. I do want to get to 175 before plastics consult just to say I did and get more of the fat out of the belly of skin I have. Hope everyone is doing great with their lives, Jennifer
Michelle M
on 1/16/07 7:02 am - Kapaa, HI
Starting weight: 226 Goal weight: 123 Current weight: 113 Total lost: 113 I feel great. I am able to eat more now and that scares me. I try to keep my calorie intake low. I would like to maintain my current weight of 113 pounds. So I know that it will take a lot of work on my part. I have stayed the same weight now for 3 months. Michelle
Jane C.
on 1/16/07 11:31 am - Florence, KY
Thank Kellie, Ilove when we do this Starting Wt 311 Surgery day 296 Goal was 170 current 153 Went from size 28 to 8 but Sunday bought a size 6 in a pair of jean they fit. Just about peed my pants. I have been as low as 148 but I stay about 152-156 and I have been there for 3 months. Waiting on insurance. Just want the lose skin removed that all. Alot of skin issues. Feel Great would do it again and wished I would have done it sooner. At 46 I have done so much. I am so sad on the things I have missed but so happy to catch up. Jane
BethB
on 1/17/07 12:24 am - Ramona, CA
Kellie, Great idea for a thread - it's getting a lot of people that haven't posted lately back on the boards. Highest weight: 255 Surgery weight: 235 Today's weight: 118 Goal weight: 125 Total lost to date: 137 BMI: 19 Hired a trainer to try to tighten everything up and I'm finally starting to see some progress. I'm working hard to not lose any more weight since my BMI is edging towards the underweight category. Totally happy I had this surgery and slowly adjusting (mentally) to being thin for the first time in my entire life. Beth
buenano
on 1/19/07 11:19 am - AUSTIN, TX
Hello everyone... I have not been here in ages... But I am doing pretty good... Starting weight: 304 pre op after 1 week of liquids 296. Yesterday: 147 am I at goal? I have no idea.. I have been this weight for about a month now. I feel great.. No meds except a hormone and that stays... I take my many supplements and vitamins faithfully. I am addicted to dymatize cafe mocha protein... I mix it with water, and with cold coffee.... Yummmm yummm. Most days I carry around my big pink 64 oz jug of water and get it all down... Some days I am just bad.... But I figure 5 out of 7 aint bad.... I do really well during the week at work... (schedule) but I suck on the weekends. I dont keep track of what I eat... I eat protein first , veggies, then carbs... I hardly eat any carbs, they make me dump... But I will have an occasional bite of this and that... Bread kills me, but I can do toast. And that is about all I consume of carbs. I started running again after 25 years, and I do yoga.... That is it for the exercise... I am paying for a gym membership I am not using... I could be spending that $$$$ on clothes...What am I thinking. My skin is pretty good.... I have the dreaded batwings. But hardly no extra skin on my stomach...My legs are wrinkly but am I going to be wearing daisy dukes????? Think not... I can live with it... I am so thankful my face looks okay, I know this sounds vain, but I had night mares, and I was never afraid of surgery only the after results of my skin... (it is a mental thing) and I contribute it to good genes and mary kay...... Good old mary kay....... I have used it for years.. I am so healthy, I love the me that I am, and who I have become. I was hidden for so many years. I find myself more confident, and not putting up with crap... I don't know if that is good or bad, and food is not my comfort anymore, so I have to find new ways to deal with my emotions and stress. It is a daily thing, since I have a stressful job and life. I have an active support group here, and that holds me accountable, to myself and my members. Hope everyone is doing great.... Hugs and much love to you all.
Ann Shaffer
on 1/19/07 1:05 pm - Caledonia, NY
Ok I'll risk it I am doing ok. I struggle with head and emotional eating on a continual basis. I am beginning to recognize it and remind myself that I AM making a choice by shoving that 3rd cookie in my face; sugar free or not it is still a response to emotion not hunger. In terms of weight loss I'd like to commend all of you, you are truly doing great. I am doing ok I started at 304 was down to 185 went back up to 202 and am on my way back down at 197. My contributing factor to the weight gain was a course of high dose steroids that I had to take and the doctors have juggled all of my medications (for my multiple sclerosis) again and that may be contributing to my weight struggles as 3 of them have the side effect of weight gain. I feel bad about the gain and the lack of discipline to get it back off so I haven't been back here much. I have also decided that that isn't the answer either. So I came back here to be a silent observer, but the silent part didn't last long. Keep up the great work!! Ann
Most Active
Recent Topics
9 Years ago today
Blessed B · 0 replies · 715 views
7 YEARS AGO
Jane C. · 0 replies · 1065 views
7 years
sharonleanne · 0 replies · 813 views
Just celebrated 6 years!
smilesarepriceless · 1 replies · 1025 views