How are we doing at 17 months out?

(deactivated member)
on 3/18/07 11:28 pm - Cleveland Heights, OH
Traffic in our October 2005 room has totally stalled!!! I still look at this board every day, but there's never anything going on. For those of you that are still checking in every now and then, I'd love to hear how you're doing. Would love to hear from Deb P., Dennis, Keke, Erin, Kim, and all the other folks that used to be active on this board! Anyway, I'll start things off and hope others chime in! Starting weight: 396 Surgery weight: 386 Today's weight: 213 Goal weight: 165 Total lost to date: 183 Currently struggling with keeping daily calories in a reasonable range. It's too darn easy to eat 2200-2500 calories a day now. When I can keep myself in the 1600-1700 calorie range, I continue to lose. But keeping myself at that level is getting harder. Here's a typical day for me: Breakfast: Kashi instant oatmeal, banana Snack: yogurt w/ 3 tbsp. mueslix or cottage cheese w/ sugar free preserves Lunch: lean cuisine, 1/2 cup green beans Snack: large non-fat latte Snack: 1 slice whole grain bread, 3 slices turkey, 1 slice low-fat cheese, mustard Dinner: varies - always protein and veggies, sometimes some carbs, salad Snack: 100 calories of something sweet - Breyer's carb smart fudge bars, or 2 pieces of good dark chocolate, or Starbucks mocha bar (not the best habit in the world, but knowing I've got a treat "waiting" for me at the end of the day helps me stay away from all the crap that sits around my office every day - currently Girl Scout cookies!) I think the calorie issue is partially related to an increase in my exercise routine. I'm lifting weights 2x week, plus doing 35-45 minutes of heavy cardio at least 4-5x per week. So I'm burning more calories through exercise than I was in the past, and that bumps up my appetite. Even at 15 months out, my "tool" still works. Although I can definitely eat more than I could a year ago, its no where close to what I could eat before my surgery. I'm blessed and cursed that nothing really makes me sick, so I can eat pretty much anything. The biggest blessing is that I do react if I have too much sugar - my heart rate goes up, I get "foggy" and very, very lethargic. Knowing that that can happen keeps me from eating too much sugar, which is very helpful for me. I'd still like to lose another 40 pounds or so, to get myself to around 175. I'm starting to think about plastics, and know that I'll lose a little bit of weight from the skin that's taken off. I'm fortunate that my insurance will pay to remove the excess skin from my stomach and my breasts, but I'll have to pay for my arms and my thighs. I'm thinking I'll have my first round of plastics some time in early 2008, which seems far away, yet just right around the corner if you know what I mean... Am excited about the impending arrival of spring - only 2 more days. It's been a long, gloomy winter and I'm really looking forward to warmer days, spring flowers (irises, crocuses, daffodils, tulips, hyacinth, etc.), and the general greening up of the world. Anyway, that's it for now. Hopefully some of you other October 2005 folks will chime in - would love to hear how things are going! Kellie
Blessed B
on 3/19/07 9:34 pm
Hello Kellie, It sounds like you have been doing great! You should be proud of your progress and it looks like you've been successful! Congrats!! I know I take a peek at the boards here every week and it's sad that nobody is really around anymore. Life gets busy and I work a swing shift, so I'm wound up when I come home in the am and I have to be quiet..so the computer is what I've got to help get the extra energy out. As far as my progress goes, I'm sitting at 162 but I fluctuate daily..can be anywhere from 156-168 depending on if I'm retaining water or not or if I haven't gone to the bathroom. I started out at 256 lbs/20w pants/2-3x shirt. I am now able to wear depending on the cut of the clothing 4 to a size 7 on the bottoms and the top anywhere from a medium to a large. I have a picture on my profile of my size 20 shorts that I wore before surgery and I filled every bit of those shorts, now I am able to fit my whole body in one side of the shorts. I keep them around just so I know where I've been and where I don't want to go back. Food is still an issue for me. My body has changed but I'm still working on my brain. I'm a work in progress in this area. I do eat sugar and I tell you what, I wish I would have never introduced that back into the diet. I did have a good day today. I had zero sugar and upped my protein to 100 grams. I try and eat every few hours, so I can stay full Today: meal 1..Protein bar meal 2..weight control oatmeal meal 3..yogurt/protein bar meal 4..cheese stick meal 5..chicken breast meal 6..protein bar/cheese stick drank 80 oz water and got 50 minute workout in on the bike I'd still like to lose 20 more lbs or so but I've been advised that it would be unhealthy for me to do so. I've been told that I'm carrying about 20 lbs of extra skin on my body. I hate my stomach..it's so embarassing!! My breasts too. I'm too scared to have plastic surgery. Anyways, I'm gonna end this now and I wish you continued success Kellie
(deactivated member)
on 3/19/07 10:23 pm - Cleveland Heights, OH
Hey, GreeleyGirl, thanks for responding and thanks for your 'atta girl - I'll take all those I can get! It sounds like you've done a great job too and are continuing to focus on working your tool. I'm still working on my brain too - I think that'll be a permanent "work in progress," if you know what I mean. Can I ask if there's a reason why you continue to use protein bars instead of regular food? Is that what your surgeon/nutritionist recommended, or is that just simpler for you? There seems to be two very different schools of thought on the continued use of protein supplements; some surgeons/nuts encourage and recommend their use, while others want their patients to get their protein from regular food sources. Anyway, just interested in your experience with this issue. I do use protein bars occasionally; usually when I'm in a hurry or on the road because they keep me from making really bad food choices! Keep up the good work with the fluids and exercise. I think the exercise will be key to long term maintenance of our weight loss. I'm scared about plastics too, but I figured I survived my gastric bypass and I can certainly survive a few rounds of plastic surgery, as long as my surgeon doles out good pain killers! Good luck on your continuing journey, Greeley Girl! Kellie
Blessed B
on 3/20/07 5:41 am
You're quite welcome I take all the compliments I can get too! To answer your question about my protein bars..well, I just find them easier to eat and they sit well on my stomach. I find it hard to get in all my protein and calories when I don't eat them. I usually eat Atkins Bars and Premier Protein Bars (has 30grams of protein). I get bored from eating chicken and dairy products all of the time and frankly, I've just gotten used to a routine of eating them lol. Take care! Bridgett
vickie R.
on 3/20/07 5:57 am - danville, KY
Hi Kellie, i am doing some better,i have been on liquids for over a month now,i am holding at 108lbs,i have posted some not so good pics of me,i have had trouble with food so now i am on full liquids and i do drink around 3000cal a day,i do cyto gainer at 600 cal a pop,i have a problem with food satying in my pouch,i regergatate till i have aspirated,i have been trying to get back to a heathy weight,i no my family doc gave me 1 mo if none gained its feeding tube time again,he says im at a unhealthy weight,i no that at 135lbs i looked and felt good.But this is my quick update.......YOU ALL ARE DOING SO WELL...............Vickie
(deactivated member)
on 3/20/07 10:35 pm - Cleveland Heights, OH
Hi, Vickie - I'm glad to hear you are doing a bit better. Sorry that you are on full liquids, but hopefully that will put you on the road to better overall health. I wish you the best of luck in being able to reach a good, healthy resolution to everything that you've been through. I will continue to keep you in my thoughts and prayers! {{{{{hugs}}}}} Kellie
lazeydazey
on 3/20/07 10:44 am - Sharon, MA
Hi Kellie, I've been working so late it's not funny. By the time I get home from work it's 8pm, I eat dinner and go to bed by 10-10:30 the latest. I should try to be on more. I'm stuck at a plateau that I can't break, i've been at the same weight for the last 5 months and can't get lower. I'm hovering around 185. I can only get to the gyn on weekends which is tough to do. I'm supposed to be doing about 1200 calories a day, sometimes I can and somtimes I can't still can't eat alot of protein, but I have noticed that I have been getting som bad cravings for things I used to like. I give in sometimes. I don't see my surgeon until July, before I leave for my vacation to British Columbia to see my sister-in-law for 10 days. Hoping to lose another 10-15 by then. Not much else to tell, I will try to get on more. Take care, Lisa J. In Mass
(deactivated member)
on 3/20/07 10:41 pm - Cleveland Heights, OH
Hey, Lisa J. Sorry to hear you are working so late - that can really interfere with having a real life! I was stuck at a plateau for about 3 months, from November through mid-January. Finally got things moving again by changing up calories and increasing exercise. I actually eat 1800-2500 calories a day now, getting in about 120 grams of protein, 20-25 grams of fiber, and between 200-300 grams of carbs. I think that works for me because I'm able to exercise 6-7 times per week (lift weights 2x, cardio 4-5x). If it wasn't for the exercise, I'd need to cut my calories back to 1300-1400 calories/day. Good luck breaking your plateau. Any chance your late work schedule is going to ease back any time soon? Do you get a lunch break when you could take a walk? I do that some days when I can't make it to the gym, plus I enjoy the sunshine and being outdoors. Also wish you good luck battle the evil cravings. I have pretty good luck with that except around my period; then I want to eat anything and everything I can find. And I sometimes do, especially dark chocolate. Thankfully, that only lasts for 4-5 days, then my appetite goes back to normal. Anyway, good to hear from you. I look forward to touching base again in a few weeks/months! Best - Kellie in Cleveland
gennylyn
on 3/28/07 4:51 am - Jonesboro, AR
Starting weight: 361 Surgery weight: 357 Today's weight: 188 Goal weight: 175 Total lost to date: 173 Well I have pretty much stayed the same since about December. I flow between 185 and 190. My lowest was 181. I am guessing this is where I will stay and I am fine with that. I have about 10-15 pounds of extra skin so that would bring me to my goal. I have my plastics consult set up for April 26 - my 18 month anniversery. I am trying for a extended anchor cut tummy tuck and possible breast lift. I would consider implants if Dr doesn't feel I have atleast enough tissue to stay around a D. I know that sounds big ( especialy to my friends) but i have always been between a DD and E. I like large breast and hope to keep them. I fill a DD now but ofcourse that is alot of skin Calories are about 1500 a day. I usually drink a protein drink for breakfast lunch is chili or tuna and dinner is smaller portions of what my family eats. I can deal fine with sugar which isn't a good thing but I still can't eat bread or beef. 2 of my loves before surgery so that is a good thing. I still can't eat more than about 4 oz of solid meat. so the old pounch is still working well. Since surgery I have had my gallbladder out and an umbilical hernia fixed. Life is great and I miss all the daily chatter from you guys Jennifer
(deactivated member)
on 3/29/07 10:19 pm - Cleveland Heights, OH
Jennifer, It sounds like you are doing great! Good luck on your plastics consult - I hope you're able to do everything you want. I'm hoping to finish losing what I can by my second anniversary (10/25/2007), then start on plastics in 2008. It's a long journey, but well worth it. Good luck on your continued success, health, and happiness! Kellie
Most Active
Recent Topics
9 Years ago today
Blessed B · 0 replies · 715 views
7 YEARS AGO
Jane C. · 0 replies · 1064 views
7 years
sharonleanne · 0 replies · 813 views
Just celebrated 6 years!
smilesarepriceless · 1 replies · 1025 views