Help!! I'm scared....

lupe S.
on 9/10/05 4:48 am - el cajon, CA
Can anyone share any info on their surgery and what to expect? I have surgery scheduled on 10/3/05 and I hate to admit this, but i'm scared on what to expect. I heard horror stories of hair falling out (been through this once and I cried my eyes out) my other fear is not waking up. If anyone can give me anything that'll ease my fears please email me. Thanks a bunch and I love this site it is awesome!!
cheryl C.
on 9/10/05 9:29 am - peyton, co
i am having surgery 3 days after you on the 6th. when they say your hair falls out, a friend of mine did lose some of her hair but, i think that is for lack of protein so eat as much protein as you can handle. did you discuss how you feel about not waking up with the therapist when you had your psych evalu? i actually asked my doctor if he had ever lost a patient and if there was anyone who wished that they hadn't had it done. i think that the percentages of not waking up, is rather slim. try not to let this ruin the positive about the whole situation and remember that there are SO many people out there who have had this surgery and how much better you are going to feel and how awesome you are going to look.(of course you probably are awesome looking already
swdreamer
on 9/11/05 2:22 am - El Paso, TX
So sorry you're feeling so scared. It's normal to be anxious about getting your body cut upon.....I'm a nurse in the recovery room, and maybe I can offer some information that might help. About the hair falling out - it seems to be quite "routine" for post-ops, but it's not like you'll be bald. Some thinning will probably occur, but it WILL grow back! My roommate's hair thinned, then grew back in with a beautiful curly texture that I pay good money to have done!!! The key to prevention really is to slurp down all the protein supplements and eat all the protein that is recommended. It's hard at first to do that, but as you adjust to the daily routine, the protein intake becomes more do-able. As for not waking up -- complications from anesthesia are rare. I work with a 10-member physician team of anesthesiologists, and we have not ever had in my history of being there, a single person NOT wake up. Here's the scene for what happens: Somebody will start your IV in pre-op holding. The anesthesiologist will interview you, and you may see your surgeon briefly. Then, they may even give you a little something IV to calm your nerves, and you'll be more relaxed. The surgery people will wheel your stretcher to the operating room, and you'll get more IV medication -- then suddenly you'll be sleeping, with the anesthesiologist right there monitoring your condition for the whole time during surgery. They take care of the actual medications and your breathing to keep you safe during surgery. You'll have all kinds of monitors on, and they will give you some medications at the end of surgery to reverse the anesthesia effect. You'll be transported directly to the recovery room where you get more monitors and more medications. You won't even know that you're already finished with surgery when you wake up !! The nurses in the recovery room will keep reminding you that surgery is over, and you'll be very sleepy for a couple of hours. Someone will be right there watching over you until you are stable enough to go to your hospital room. You'll get pain medication if needed in the recovery room. Some people are very awake and alert in the recovery room, some don't even remember the recovery room. Just try to relax, and don't panic about this waking up thing. You'll have people at your bedside until you're safely recovered. Some people, understandably, are in general, afraid of dying. This is blunt, but if this applies to you, maybe some spiritual direction, or a short chat with your minister/rabbi/priest would be very helpful. And, if you are a praying person, take this whole thing to prayer. Start now with bulding a calm approach, and your surgery will actually go better! Hang in there. Hope there are others out there who've already had surgery who can help ease your concerns. Blessings to you.
Cynthia Snyder
on 9/12/05 2:27 pm - Butler, IN
Cyndi, Thank you for this post. Not only was it informative, but it brought comfort. I really appreciated it! God bless you!
Most Active
Recent Topics
9 Years ago today
Blessed B · 0 replies · 715 views
7 YEARS AGO
Jane C. · 0 replies · 1065 views
7 years
sharonleanne · 0 replies · 813 views
Just celebrated 6 years!
smilesarepriceless · 1 replies · 1025 views