Okay I am starting to panic here....

cheryl C.
on 9/12/05 11:26 am - peyton, co
I went to my nutrition class yesterday and to be honest, it really scared the snot out of me. It didn't tell me anything that I didn't know, but I actually felt like I will NEVER be able to eat anything again. I realize that was not exactly what was meant to happen, but now I am questioning if I am doing the right thing. Going out to eat is such a social thing for my friends and family I don't even feel like I will be able to go out again. I could even handle it if I could go out and have a glass of tea, but go**** will take me 2 hours to drink a whole glass of tea.....help, help, help!!!! Am I the only one who is thinking this way?? I am looking for some sort of input here. Thanks
Cynthia Snyder
on 9/12/05 2:02 pm - Butler, IN
Cheryl, I haven't had my surgery yet, but I originally thought that same thing. From what I am understanding, I am preparing myself for the first three months being very strict but also the time of "training" myself. From what I understand, and anyone reading this please correct me if I am wrong, you can eat just about anything you want (or what your pouch will accept) except carbs until you get to goal. Then after you reach goal, you are able to add the carbs to help maintain your weight. I read over and over of people being able to eat out, just not at first, and always choosing wisely. Maybe I'm all washed up in my thinking But, this really is too important of a decision to make lightly. I'll say a prayer for you! God bless!
cheryl C.
on 9/13/05 1:47 pm - peyton, co
i wish you the best on your surgery. i will let you know how mine goes...we will have to keep in touch. cheryl
sseel
on 9/12/05 2:24 pm - Windsor, CA
Cheryl, I'm right with you. I, too, am distressed at the notion that my social eating opportunities will vaporize for the next, I don't know, six months. This is a tremendous upheaval to our present habits, friendships, family relationships, because so many of our rituals are centered around food. What helps me, and perhaps this will help you, is to remember that centering activities around food is part of what got me to this unhealthy weight, and that I really do need to start living my life differently. Last night I had dinner with a girlfriend, and revealed to her that I was planning to have WLS. I showed her the little container that held the butter for her baked potato, and said "This is how much I'll be able to eat at one time, at least for a while," and we were both appalled at that notion. It helps me to know that we WILL eat again, though hopefully never as much as before, nor as often, nor perhaps with the same unhealthy food choices. But there is "light at the end of the tunnel" as Stephen put in a recent response to a post of mine; the intense restrictions are only for a brief time. And the payoff for us both has the potential to be tremendous: longer life, in good health. Best wishes to you! Sheryl
jefferinmax
on 9/12/05 2:44 pm - Kingwood, TX
Hi all, I havent had my surgery yet, Oct 13 is the big day, however I have been going to support meetings that my surgeon sponsors 2x a month that have been TREMENDOUSLY informational. We started off going on a whim basically to support my cousin Shanna who had surgery on april 2. Her hubby wouldnt go or couldnt whatever the reason to these meetings so my husband and i went with her. This was back at the beginning of May. We have learned so much from these meetings as people are at various stages post op. After the very first meeting i really started thinking about doing having surgery. I have too! Well, i have heard it first hand from all the others, its not the end of eating as we know it. Eventually you might find that all the stuff you will sacrifice now, you will be able to have later except you will be in control of it. But the consensus i have found is that the joy and overall physical wellbeing of watching the numbers slide down the scale far outweighs the desire for a piece of cheesecake. They say the cravings are there and will be, but to find something to do that you love, and most important if your surgeon offers support meetings GO!!!!! Every meeting there are at least 20 or so people there and ohmigo**** helps! Just a tidbit, this past meeting we had 17 people there post op so we decided to get a running total of the combined weightloss. It was 1700 lbs! One thousand seven hundred pounds lost, never to be regained again. Now thats a social thing for me! Its not the end of the world, its the beginning of a brand new one! Good luck Erin
cheryl C.
on 9/13/05 6:10 am - peyton, co
well, i am glad to hear from a fellow texan..i am from texas living in colorado springs for now but will most likely be moving to kingwood in 3 years or so. i have a house in pasadena so i get down there alot. i won't be able to go to support meetings at my surgeon's office (which he does have) i live 160 miles round trip but i had to go there for insurance purposes. i have a good friend that has had the surgery and she is 3 years out and eats anything but it seems like an eternity. i do feel a little better about the whole situation. i reread my weight loss book of nutrition and feel slightly better. there is alot of stuff i still want to do with my life and believe me it is a whole lot easier to take that texas sun when you are slimmer that's for sure. i wish you the best of luck with your surgery and keep in touch. cheryl
jhayes
on 9/12/05 11:23 pm - Lake View, SC
OK, CALM DOWN!!! Remember that this is going to be a LIFE ALTERING experience. To start with you will not be able to eat like you did before. But after a while you will gradually be able to eat more. I went through food withdrawls. I mourned for food. It was tough, but it has been worth it. Ask yourself do eat to live or live to eat. Before surgery I was letting food control my life. Every social event would involve food. After surgery I had to learn to control my eating situations. I had to learn all over agin how to deal with food. I had to learn to eat just to live. After surgery your limited food intake trains you to eat better. You eventually will be able to eat more, but you will have trained your body to eat and when you get full you stop eating. It is a hard journey, but imagine how your life will be down the road if you are still miserable being overweight and unhealthy. I love the new me. Surgery changed my ENTIRE life. I have a new body and a new attitude. Yes, I am still scarred on the inside of years of being ridiculed of being overweight, but that is still something I am overcoming. Remember WLS is only a tool that you use to loose weight. It is not a magical pill that you just take you have to work at it. I hope this helps you in some way. Jeanie Hayes Post-OP: 10/12/04 Loss to date: 174 lbs Check out my profile!!!!!!!
cheryl C.
on 9/13/05 6:18 am - peyton, co
OMG i went to your profile and i want you to know that you look absolutely awesome!!!! it doesn't even look like you. i appreciate your reply and input. i know it will be a totally different way of life that's for sure. thanks so much. cheryl
Julie B.
on 9/14/05 3:04 pm - Mc Causland, IA
Cheryl--my surgery is scheduled for 10/3. I've been having these feelings as well. Our local support group discussed this a couple of months ago in that we go through the steps of grieving. Grieving the loss of food and its center of attention at family gatherings, holidays, birthdays...etc.etc. But, I agree that it's the constant focus on food (usually not the best chosen food in my case) that has to be re-examined as the "new you"! I really enjoyed the book titled Before & After by Susan Maria Leach. She inspired me, in a weird way, to look forward to tasting all of those "forbidden" foods because one tiny spoonful is all you get. You savor the flavor, you've curbed your craving, and you move on. Head to the library for a quick read if you haven't had a chance to read it. She has a cool web site too at http://store.bariatriceating.com. Hang in there Cheryl. If nothing else, make frequent trips to the bathroom to catch a look at the new you and then go back in to enjoy your iced tea!
JeannePS
on 9/15/05 7:57 pm - Jasper, GA
You might want to check out Susan Maria's book, from what I understand she writes quite a bit about eating out. I'm hoping to get it in the next week or two, for me, mostly for the recipes, I hardly ever get to eat out. But hey, maybe once I've dropped this weight I'll have a DATE or two who will take me out to dinner LOL Good luck to you! Carol
Most Active
Recent Topics
9 Years ago today
Blessed B · 0 replies · 715 views
7 YEARS AGO
Jane C. · 0 replies · 1064 views
7 years
sharonleanne · 0 replies · 813 views
Just celebrated 6 years!
smilesarepriceless · 1 replies · 1024 views