Vitamins

Angelsteps
on 11/2/07 7:44 am - Austin, AR
I'm courious as to what brands of vitamins people are taking. I am just feeling like mine aren't working very well. I'll know more next week when my blood work comes back from my 1 year check up, but I seem to be tired alot lately and I am wondering if I'm not absorbing the vitamins like I should be. I have tried breaking them in half to hopefully help with it since they are coated but that seems to be harder to get down and I gag. Anyone taking any vitamins specifically for WLS? I have tried liquid multi vitamins but the taste is horrible. Your help is greatly appreciated. Teresa
E velyn
on 11/2/07 8:26 am
I take "Trader Joe's" multi vitamin chewables and a sublingual B-12. The doc only told me to take the multi vitamin. I am doing the B-12 on my own. I stayed with the chewables because I kind of like the flavor... weird, I know.
tiffyb
on 11/2/07 9:42 am - Orange, CA
Hi Teresa, I still take my 2 Flintstone Vits.. B12 and Iron I had my levels checked and everything is a OK. but I have been feeling very tired latley too.. I was thinking about changing.. but If I am ok... should I change? Right there with ya... I think i will call my Doc.. Keep me posted.. Tiff
Melissa W.
on 11/2/07 12:10 pm - Hackettstown, NJ
Hey there Teresa, I will give you what I was taking pre pregnancy. Hubby takes the same (now). When I very 1st got pregnant I had my labs done (Aug) and they actually came back better than ever before. OK here is the line up: 1 Twin labs daily one caps - I get at Vitamin Shoppe 2 Calcium Natures Science - 500 mg so a total of 1000 mg a day - I order these on line 2 B-12 sublingual dots GNC store brand - 500 mcg so a total of 1000 2 B-1 250 mg for a total of 500 - Vitamin Shoppe brand Except for the sublingual under the tongue B-12 they are all capsules and very easy to swallow. OK now since getting pregnant I have changed everything to a chewable ( prescrip prenat) or have had to open the capsules. I have had horrible morning sickness so that has changed that but I have not changed any of the amounts. Not sure if that was the info you were looking for but my labs were great and still are great so something must be working. I know there is a lot of controversy on the B-12 and if the shot is better or not but I have done great with the dots so I am going to stick with it. I hope everything comes back great and or is something simple and you can just maybe add a little more of something. Hugs, Melissa
PUDYTAT
on 11/3/07 8:04 am - CAROLINA SHORES, NC
HEY TERESA, I'M TAKING VISTA VITAMINS. THEY'RE SPECIFICALLY MADE FOR WEIGHT LOSS SURGERY PATIENTS. I ALSO TAKE IRON, 130mg DAILY AND A SUB-LINGUAL B-12 TAB. THE VISTA VITAMIN LIT TELLS YOU TO TAKE 1pkg IN THE AM AND 1 IN THE PM FOR A TOTAL OF 8 PILLS BUT I ONLY TAKE ONE pkg A DAY, TWO TABS IN AM AND TWO IN PM AND THEY SEEM TO BE WORKING. MY LABS HAVE ALL BEEN GOOD SINCE THE BEGINING. THEY'RE A LITTLE EXPENSIVE BUT I GUESS WORTH IT SINCE MY LABS HAVE ALWAYS BEEN GOOD. THEY CAN ONLY BE ORDERED ON LINE @ www.vistavitamins.com HOPE THIS HELPS, DONNA, SFY
Susan T.
on 11/3/07 10:32 am - Waco, TX
Hey Teresa!! I've changed brands several times - most recently due to my move to VA. Can't find the same things here that I was buying in TX at HEB (TX grocery store). Oh well. So far, my labs have all been good. Will get my latest results on Thursday....as long as those are good, I'm going to be a happy girl. Crazy part, the lab was drawn almost a month ago - this is my first chance to get in with my doc. Since having the lab drawn, I've started taking iron because I felt tired a lot and was bruising really easily.... Things are slowly getting better. Here's a list of what I take - minus the brands because, like i said, those keep changing... Multi-vitamin - 1 per day Iron - 1 per day Calcium w/Vitamin D - 2 a day for a total of 1000 mg Vitamin C (when I take my Calcium for better absorption) - 2 per day Magnesium (because I noticed in Fitday that I wasn't getting enough in food and multivitamin.) - 1 per day Selenium (same reason as the magnesium) - 1 per day B-1 (because of reports I've read on our needs following WLS and my B-complex had ZERO B1 in it!!!!) - 1 per day B-complex liquid (with LOTS of b-12) - once per day Oh....I take vitamins all thru out my day. I take my synthroid first thing when I get up in the AM. Then I have my calcium and vitamin C about 4 hours later. I put my liquid B complex into my protein shake and with the last sips, I take the magnesium, selenium and B-1. It takes me forever to drink my protein shakes so by the time I take the vitamins with it, there's hardly any in my pouch still so I'm HOPING I'm not washing them on thru. However, they all dissolve very quickly, so I think I'm absorbing them. I take my multivitamin after lunch. I take the iron in the afternoon when I have snack time with the kids after school. And, then I take my last calcium and Vitamin C about an hour or two after dinner. Since I'm a SAHM, it's fairly easy for me to do this. If running errands gets in the way of my vitamin regime, I either take them with me or I just do it later than "normal." Hope that helps!!! Susan
Aime B.
on 11/4/07 7:22 pm - Baltimore, MD
I still take Centrum chewables.
beaglecookie
on 11/5/07 8:54 pm - Whittier, CA
I take Bariatic Advantage multivitamin, Iron, Calcuim and B-1. I also take GNC zinc Lozenges.
hollywatson
on 11/6/07 2:07 am - Oil City, PA
Isn't it interesting how we all take something alittle different?? I take: 2 Flintstone Chewable MultiVitamins (I asked my surgeon at my 1 year if I still needed to do the chewable and she said yes because my body absorbs them better) 1 Chewable Vit. C Chewable Caltrate (I like this the best, I call it my candy for the day!) Potassium (prescription from my family MD) 1 Fish Oil (my bad cholesterol is good, but good cholesterol acts retarded) B12 Dots Prilosec (my surgeon requires this) Then every 5-6 weeks I get my B12 shot -- my surgeon also requires this -- says my body absorbs it better than the pill, but since B12 is my new best friend she said I could take the pills every day, too.... My iron is low, but I tried taking a prescription from my family MD and they made me sick....really sick....so he told me to stop and in a few months he will test my labs again.... Holly
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone still check in?
E velyn · 0 replies · 236 views
Five Years Already!!
Judy G. · 2 replies · 1236 views
Happy 5 year Surgiversary!!
hollywatson · 1 replies · 989 views
5 years out and now 168 lbs.
Staci G. · 1 replies · 957 views
Anyone checking in?
Tri_harder · 2 replies · 1108 views