Flying

LisaAC
on 1/12/08 7:17 pm - Philadelphia, PA
Tomorrow morning, I am flying to New Orleans! I'm very excited, as I have not had more than a long weekend away in over three years. I need this desperately! I find I am stressing a bit over the coming flight. I have not flown in some years and the last few times I did, it got harder and harder. Barely fitting in the seat. The look of horror on other passengers' faces when they realized I'd be sitting next to them. Having to ask for a seat belt extension. Pretending I was sick, so I wouldn't have to eat or drink anything...because that meant getting up and down and using the tiny bathroom...and because I couldn't get the tray table down over my belly. Yeah, that was 152 lbs ago...but part of me is afraid it will all happen again tomorrow! I know, on some level, that that's not reasonable...but it's scary, nonetheless. Anyone flown recently? What was that like for you? Lisa
PUDYTAT
on 1/13/08 5:32 am - CAROLINA SHORES, NC
Hey lisa, hope you have a wonderful time in the big easy, I hear it's a fun, fantastic place to visit. Flying? I had the same feelings every time I got into an airplane. Well, that feeling went away w/ the last flight I took. We flew to seattle washington for a cruise to alaska in October and what a suprise I had when I got onto the plane. Where once I had to walk side ways down the isle I walked down the isle like a "normal person." seating was not a problem at all. I could actually sit it the seat with out worring if I was infringing on the person sitting next to me. I didn't have to ask for a seat belt extender and I actually had room between my stomach and the tray table. What a difference from 2006. I still feel like I shouldn't fit, but I know I actually do, amazing. Thank God for my surgeon and this surgery. I just hope I don't sabatoge myself w/ all the strange eating I'm doing. Donna, sfy
LisaAC
on 1/13/08 10:38 am - Philadelphia, PA
Thanks, Donna! I hope my own plane experience is equal to yours. How was the cruise? Alaska is a dream destination of mine. Part of me wishes I could just leave the pouch at home for a few days...
PUDYTAT
on 1/14/08 7:15 am - CAROLINA SHORES, NC
HEY LISA, THE CRUISE TO ALASKA WAS A DREAM COME TRUE. I PLANED IT A YEAR IN ADVANCE SO I'D BE SURE TO HAVE ENOUGH MONEY TO SPEND. AND TO MAKE SURE WE GOT THE ROOMS AND TOURS WE WANTED. THERE WAS A TOTAL OF 8 PEOPLE WHO WENT, IT WAS SUPPOSED TO BE 9 WITH MOM, BUT AS YOU KNOW SHE PASSED AWAY 5 MONTHS BEFORE THE CRUISE. FUNNY, SHE KEPT TELLING ME SHE WASN'T GOING AND I'D JUST BLOW HER OFF, TELLING HER, YES SHE WAS GOING. I GUESS SHE KNEW BETTER THAN ME. ACTUALLY, THE CRUISE, AIR FARE AND HOTEL, (WE ARRIVED AND LEFT SEATTLE A DAY BEFORE AND A DAY AFTER) WAS PRETTY REASONABLE, IT WAS ABOUT 1700.00 PER PERSON, AND THAT WAS A GRAND SUITE ON THE SHIP, THAT'S W/ ALL TAXES, PORT FEES, etc . . . . IT WOULD COST LESS IF A PERSON GOT A SMALLER ROOM. BUT WE LIKE THE SUITES, EVEN THE MINI SUITES, THEY GIVE YOU MORE ROOM TO MOVE AROUND INSTEAD OF FEELING LIKE YOU'RE IN A CLOSET. BESIDES, IT'S GREAT TO HAVE A BALCONY, ESPECIALLY IN ALASKA. IF YOU CAN I'D ADVISE EVERYONE TO SEE ALASKA AT LEAST ONCE IN THEIR LIFE, ,IT'S ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL. WE HADN'T EVEN GOTTEN BACK TO THE CAROLINA'S BEFORE WE STARTED TALKING ABOUT GOING BACK ONE DAY. IF YOU EVER FIND THAT YOU CAN GO, GO TO www.alldiscountcruises.com, THIS IS THE CRUISE PLANNERS I USE ALL THE TIME, THE AGENT'S NAME IS HELEN ROBISON. IF I KNEW HOW TO TAKE MY PICTURES AND TRANSFER THEM TO THIS SITE I'D DO IT SO YOU COULD SEE, BUT ALAS, I'M TECHICALLY CHALLENGED. AS FAR AS YOU BABY STOMACH? THEY HAVE A WIDE VARIETY OF FOODS ON THE SHIPS. YOU CAN GO FROM REALLY BLAND TO REALLY SPICEY, IT'S ALL UP TO YOU. I ONLY HAD ONE DAY WHERE I HAD A PROBLEM AND THAT WAS MY OWN FAULT, ATE SOMETHING REALLY SUGARY (sp). I BROUGHT MY SPLENDA AND CRYSTAL LIGHT PACKETS. IT'S ALL UP TO WHAT YOU CHOOSE. HAVE A GREAT TRIP AND TELL US HOW YOU ENJOY NEW ORLEANS. DONNA, SFY
Patricia S.
on 1/14/08 12:33 am - Glen Mills, PA
Prior to my surgery my last flight was also to Alaska. I had my brother and his girlfriend with me (all three of us were MOB). They had not flown prior to then so I acted as the guide. I showed them how to discreately ask for an extender before even finding your seat. THe three of us shared a row of seats..talk about a tight squeeze! I also showed them how to slip the extender in to your carryon so you could use it for connecting flights etc. I felt ashamed that I was the "expert" on flying while overweight. Fast forward to May - my honeymoon. Just after my 6 month mark. It was a whole new world when I flew to Bermuda. I had never fit into a airline seat with extra room before. I had to tighten the seatbelt! Etc. I too started to turn sideways to go down the aisle and was surprised to find I didn't need to. Don't worry about a thing, enjoy your new milestones...giggle at them and have a great time!
E velyn
on 1/14/08 3:33 am
Lisa, it is so funny you would mention this. I was thinking about that just today. I remember the look of horror on people's faces when they thought they might have to sit beside me on the plane! But today, on the commuter bus, it became clear that there would be more passengers than seat rows, and some people were going to have to share and sit beside one another. In the past, I would have remained seated on the aisle seat and not met anyone's eyes as they got on the bus. Today, I scooted over to the window seat, and a nice person CHOSE to sit beside me. I snugged over close to the window to be sure she had enough room -- and there was this BIG space between us. I'm NORMAL sized, but my brain doesn't accept it yet. You are normal sized too, and travel will be an eye-opener for you!
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone still check in?
E velyn · 0 replies · 236 views
Five Years Already!!
Judy G. · 2 replies · 1236 views
Happy 5 year Surgiversary!!
hollywatson · 1 replies · 989 views
5 years out and now 168 lbs.
Staci G. · 1 replies · 957 views
Anyone checking in?
Tri_harder · 2 replies · 1108 views