I posted this back in May....

hollywatson
on 1/15/08 9:21 pm - Oil City, PA
I posted this back in May, thought it might be a good reminder! Hope you are all having a wonderful day! It's COLD here in NW PA!! STOP THE WEIGHT GAIN I have a few personal tips that have worked for me and may help all of us WLS veterans who are having issues with regaining the weight. First of all I refuse to EVER get back to where I was. So I make sure that I do the following. OK so I don't do it all every day (especially the exercise) but these are tips that will help you get the weight off and allow you to recognize where your problem lies. 1. The first thing is weigh you a minimum of once a week daily if possible (I get on the scale every day sometimes twice a day).You can not fool the scale. I have been overweight all of my life. I know that when I avoid the scale it is because of what went into my mouth. You just can't avoid the truth once you get on the scale. NO matter what I eat I make it a point to get on that scale every single day. 2. Check out your protein supplements. Being out of surgery over a year we can eat normal size portions. If you are taking in protein supplements you may be taking in just too many calories in the course of a day. A 300 calorie protein bar at our stage of WLS should be a meal replacement and not a snack. 3. Fluid load before meals. You don't want to do this unless you are a WLS veteran of at least a year. Fluid loading is drinking water as quickly as possible in order to fill your pouch. Gulp as much water as you can in about 30 seconds. Continue to take swallows of water until you reach a feeling of fullness. You will quickly learn how much water you need to reach that full feeling. This feeling can last up to 25 minutes. 4. Drinking with meals. Do not drink with your meals or 30 minutes after meals. Drinking while you eat pushes out the food and you may eat more. Drinking to soon after a meal pushes the food out and you will get hungry quicker. 5. Carbonated Beverages & Zero calorie beverages. This is a controversial issue. My doc says if you can stand the gas go ahead and drink the carbonated beverages. However, research has proven that successful WLS patients avoid carbonated beverages. Watch the beverages you are drinking be sure they contain zero calories! 6. DO NOT GRAZE This can be a biggie! Such an easy habit to fall into be sure to have plenty of healthy snacks on hand. I love to snack on fresh veggies and fruits. (I really convinced my self of thisJ 7. Drink plenty of water. We all know that we are supposed to drink eight 8 oz glasses of water a day. How many of us really get all our water in? This is important! 8. Do not o become famished or deprive yourself and have protein at each meal. Always consume the protein first then your veggies and then your carb. Don't deprive yourself if you need a treat go ahead and have a small portion you will be surprised just how little of something will satisfy you. 9. Exercise Yes we should all be exercising at least 30 minutes every day. However, I am very guilty for not following this recommendation. But I swear I will be getting back on tract. 10. Attend support group meetings. This is so important I facilitate a Bariatric support group meeting at our local hospital once a month and I learn something new every month. Nothing like getting support from your peers. 11. Keep a food journal. If you're still having issues and your not losing or maintaining your weight then start to write down everything you eat. I mean everything not only what you consume at meal time. You will be surprised just how many calories you consume in the course of the day especially if you're a grazer!
PUDYTAT
on 1/16/08 1:45 am - CAROLINA SHORES, NC
HEY HOLLY, LIKE YOU I DON'T EVER PLAN ON GETTING BACK TO THE WEIGHT I WAS PRIOR TO HAVING THIS SURGERY. 1. I WEIGH MYSELF AT LEAST ONCE A WEEK, WHEN I'M AT WORK, WHY ? BECAUSE I STILL HAVEN'T GONE OUT AND BOUGHT MYSELF A SCALE FOR THE HOUSE, CAN YOU SAY EL CHEAPO? 2. I HAVEN'T HAD A PROTEIN SUPPLIMENT IN A LONG TIME, I TRY TO GET MY PROTEIN IN W/ MEALS AND SNACKS. 3. FLUIDS W/ MEALS, I MUST CONFESS, I DO DO THIS OCCASIONALLY, ONLY A SIP OR TWO, USUALLY WHEN SOMETHING FEELS STUCK, THEN THAT'S IT. 4. FLUID LOADING; NEVER DO IT AND DON'T THINK I EVER WILL 5. CARBONATED DRINKS; I DO KEEP A 12 PACK OF DIET A&W ROOT BEER IN THE FRIGE FOR THOSE RARE MOMENTS I FEEL LIKE HAVING A SODA. THE CAN USUALLY LASTS ME A COUPLE OF DAYS. AFTER TWO OR THREE SIPS I'M SATISFIED. 6. DON'T GRAZE; SOME TIMES I CAN'T HELP MYSELF, NO MATTER HOW DENSE THE PROTEIN IS THERE ARE TIMES I'M JUST DON'T GET THAT "FULL" FEELING. 7. DRINK PLENTY OF WATER; GUILTY AS CHARGED. I USE TO BE FAITHFUL TO THIS, DRINKING A MINIMUM OF 64 -100ozs, NOW THERE ARE DAYS I'M LUCKY IF I GET IN 34ozs. 8. DO NOT DEPRIVE; I ALWAYS, ALWAYS EAT MY PROTEIN FIRST, VEGGIES NEXT OR IN CONJUNCTION WITH PROTEIN THEN A VERY SMALL (1tbsp) OF CARB. 9. EXERCISE; I'M TRYING MY HARDEST TO GET BACK IN THE SWING OF WALKING, I WAS DOING 2.5 MILES THREE DAYS A WEEK (my days off) WHEN MOM WAS ALIVE BUT I'VE LOST ALL MOTIVATION. ALTHOUGH YESTERDAY I DID WALK, INFACT AT EACH DRIVE WAY I JOGGED FROM ONE SIDE TO THE OTHER FOR ABOUT .5ml 10. SUPPORT GROUPS: NO CAN DO, THERE'S NO SUPPORT GROUPS IN THE AREA, ONE IS ABOUT 1 - 1.5 hrs AWAY, AND WITH THE PRICE OF GAS? FORGETABOUTIT. 11. KEEP A FOOD JOURNAL; GOOD IDEA, I HAD BEEN USING FITDAY WHEN WE ALL FIRST WENT ON THIS JOURNEY BUT FADDED AWAY FROM IT, WILL HAVE TO RESUBMIT DATA INTO THIS. THANKS FOR THE GREAT ADVISE/TIPS DONNA, SFY
tiffyb
on 1/16/08 10:33 am - Orange, CA
Thanks Holly. I love this. I dont remember it back in May. Wonderful!!! Luv and Hugs! Tiff
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone still check in?
E velyn · 0 replies · 236 views
Five Years Already!!
Judy G. · 2 replies · 1236 views
Happy 5 year Surgiversary!!
hollywatson · 1 replies · 989 views
5 years out and now 168 lbs.
Staci G. · 1 replies · 957 views
Anyone checking in?
Tri_harder · 2 replies · 1108 views