HAIR PROBLEMS?

PUDYTAT
on 1/29/08 3:13 am - CAROLINA SHORES, NC
HEY SISTERS, ARE ANY OF YOU HAVING CONTINUED PROBLEMS W/ HAIR LOSS? IT'S MAKING ME NUTS. FROM ALL I'VE READ AND EVERYONE I'VE SPOKEN W/ IT SEEMS AS IF THE HAIR LOSS SHOULD STOP AT AROUD 1 YEAR OUT. WELL, ON MY PART ARE THEY EVER WRONG. WE'RE A YEAR AND SOME MONTHS OUT AND I'M STILL LOSSING LOTS OF HAIR, AND I DIDN'T HAVE ALOT TO START WITH, VERY THIN AND FINE. SO WHAT'S YOUR STORY, ANY ONE STILL LOSSING THEIR HAIR? AND IF NOT WHAT HAVE YOU DONE DIFFERENTLY THAT HAS CAUSE THIS PROBLEM TO GO AWAY. ANY LIGHT YOU CAN SHED (NO PUN INTENDED) ON THIS ANOYING PROBLEM WOULD BE WONDERFUL. DONNA, SFY
berts4
on 1/29/08 3:56 am - Rock City, IL
Dear Donna: Are you taking all of your vitamins faithfully? Getting in all of your protein? Those are the only things I can think of. I lost a small amount of hair a few months out, but thankfully, it has not been a real problem. During the time that I was losing hair, I added Biotin to my vitamins, but I have heard some folks say it helps and others say it does not. I don't know that it helped me, and I do not take it any more. I wish I could be of more help....... Dawn
PUDYTAT
on 1/30/08 3:58 am - CAROLINA SHORES, NC
Hi dawn, vitamins? Girl, I feel like I'm turning into a vitamin. That's one of the first things I do when I get up in the morning. I haven't added any biotin as of yet but I'm tinking about it. I'm also thinking about adding some zinc. I've heard that also helps. Thanks for the advise. Donna, sfy
LisaAC
on 1/29/08 10:15 am - Philadelphia, PA
Hi Donna, Sorry to hear you are still having this problem. I began losing hair at about 4 months out and it continued for 2-3 months. In droves. Scary. It's grown back in differently. I always had poker straight hair and now it curls. But it's still fine, so it's flat in some parts, has weird curls in others. And it doesn't grow as quickly as it used to. My only advice is what my nut gave me: eat loads of protein!! Check with your nut and see if you're missing anything. Good luck! Lisa
PUDYTAT
on 1/30/08 4:04 am - CAROLINA SHORES, NC
HEY LISA, THE HAIR IS GETTING THINNER AND THINNER, IT'S MAKING ME NUTS. IT'S NOT THAT THE HAIR IS FALLING OUT IN CLUMPS BUT THERE'S ENOUGH IN THE TOWEL WHEN DRYING MY HAIR THAT IT'S CONCERNING. PROTEIN? IF I EAT ANY MORE PROTEIN WE'LL BE ABLE TO CUT ME UP AND DISH ME OUT TO THE OTHER POSTERS AS A SUPPLIMENT. I'VE SPOKEN WITH THE NUT A WORK AND SHE GAVE ME THE SAME ADVICE BUT I GUESS I'LL SPEAK TO HER AGAIN AND SEE IF SHE'S GOT ANY MORE SUGGESTIONS. THANKS FOR THE HELP, DONNA, SFY
ZeeDove
on 1/29/08 7:42 pm - Cape Town, South Africa
Hi Donna i am still losing my hair. the hair loss stopped then it started again. i generally see it as an indicator that i should eat more protein. then i have these short hairs forming a fizzy halo above my forehead, very similar to the statue of liberty's crown ...
PUDYTAT
on 1/30/08 4:13 am - CAROLINA SHORES, NC
Hey zee, thanks for answering and the advise. I agree w/ you and all the other posters and I'll add some more protein. Where I'm going to add it into my diet I have no idea. Here's a normal day of eating: b = scrambled egg w/ turkey bacon or sausage s = some cheese or peanut butter and reduced fat triscuts l = grilled chicken breast w/ a salad s = boiled shrimp w/ coctail sauce d = cottage cheese w/ fruit s = piece of cheese how much more protein I can add and where to add it I don't know , but I'll figure it out. There are some days at work that I'm lucky if I get the chance to eat lunch, we're a very busy hosp nursery and sometimes it's eating on the run, a bit here, a bit there, you get the picture. Thanks for the advice, donna, sfy
ZeeDove
on 1/31/08 5:30 pm - Cape Town, South Africa
Hi Donna wow, you do eat a lot of protein. much more than i do. sometimes by nightfall i still did not get in any protein. i have turned into a carb junkie. what may be happening is that you may not be absorbing all the protein that you are taking in.
tiffyb
on 1/30/08 5:32 am - Orange, CA
Hi Donna, I am not losing hair anymore. However, I can see a difference. It is not as healthy as it once was. Really dry and brittle. Maybe there is a different reason for it falling out. Not surgery. Dont know what that reason could be.... Keep us posted.. Luvs and Hugs! Tiff
PUDYTAT
on 2/3/08 3:59 am - CAROLINA SHORES, NC
Hey tiff, thanks for adding your two cents, every penny helps. I've never had a full head of hair like the rest of my family, it's always been fine and thin. So with it still falling out it's making me crazy. I do know that this is an almost normal occurance after surgery related to anesthesia. Hair loss can last up to a year, according to one of the anesthesiologists at work. We're almost a year and a half out and hair is still being lost. The only thing I can think of is that I had a colonoscopy in October 2007 and the anesthesia from that has trigered the hair to start falling out again. For you dry and brittle hair, have you tried a hot oil treatment or, now I know this sounds crazy but how about smothering your hair w/ mayonaise for a few hours w/ a shower cap over it. My hair dresser recommended this to me once and it seem to work. Hope you had a great weekend. Donna, sfy
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone still check in?
E velyn · 0 replies · 236 views
Five Years Already!!
Judy G. · 2 replies · 1236 views
Happy 5 year Surgiversary!!
hollywatson · 1 replies · 988 views
5 years out and now 168 lbs.
Staci G. · 1 replies · 957 views
Anyone checking in?
Tri_harder · 2 replies · 1108 views