What's your daily protein intake?

Jeannine L.
on 4/5/08 2:46 am - Dover, DE
My initial goal after surgery was 78g. I didn't get enough protein for the first 6 months because I had no appetite and couldn't find a protein drink that I could stand. Once my appetite returned, I was able to get enough protein from food, but I never even came close to the 100g like so many WLS patients did (and do!) I'm going to start tracking my daily food intake at fitday.com again to more closely monitor my diet because I'm really not sure how much protein I'm getting. I think I'm in the 60-80 range. Will eating more protein will help encourage weight loss? I've heard that it does and I've heard that eating more protein could actually cause a stall or gain! I'm going to call my nutritionist next week, but I'd like to hear your personal experiences. Thanks!
PUDYTAT
on 4/7/08 7:31 am - CAROLINA SHORES, NC
Hey jade, like you I wasn't getting in enough protein the first few months after surgery, couldn't stand any of the protein drinks I tried. Then when I finally found one I liked I was able to eat more, so increased my protein intake w/ food rather than w/ the protein shakes. So I have a large tub of chocolate flavored pro complex protein powder sitting around the house. I've also heard that eating more protein encourages an increase of weight loss. Don't know if it's true or not. I can tell you that I had been stuck at the same weight for a few months, very frustrating, I increased the protein and added more salads, 1 at lunch and 1 at dinner and I've seen an 8 pound weight loss in the past month. So who knows. I think a lot of it depends on our metabolism. I've never tracked my intake, I jus****ch what I eat, making sure the first thing I put in my mouth is protein. For example; breakfast: 1 egg w/ turkey bacon, cottage cheese w/ fruit snack : a piece of cheese or a small yogurt lunch : grilled chicken breast w/ a sml salad or vegie snack : 4 med. Cooked shrimp w/ coctail sauce dinner : loin of pork w/ veggie and maybe a very sml tater don't know if this helps but thought I'd put in my two cents. Keep up the great work and let us know what your nut says. Donna, sfy
Jeannine L.
on 4/11/08 12:59 pm - Dover, DE
Thanks, Donna. I didn't have time to call my NUT, but I started exercising again and watching what I eat very carefully. I've lost 6 lbs this week. I've never eaten breakfast, so I have a protein drink instead. I've been trying to eat more frequently - every 2-3 hours - and I think that's helping.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Anyone still check in?
E velyn · 0 replies · 236 views
Five Years Already!!
Judy G. · 2 replies · 1236 views
Happy 5 year Surgiversary!!
hollywatson · 1 replies · 988 views
5 years out and now 168 lbs.
Staci G. · 1 replies · 957 views
Anyone checking in?
Tri_harder · 2 replies · 1108 views