Just started Pre-op Diet and I am starving to death!!!

Kathi C.
on 10/17/08 7:59 am - Pompano Beach, FL
Just started Pre-op Diet (3-4 protein shakes a day & clear liquids) today and I feel like I am starving to death.  I have been on diets before where I drank something nasty a few times a day, but I got to have food once a day (and boy did that chicken and salad taste good every day).  And these things seem to be particularly nasty.  (Actually the EAS Advantage, French Vanilla wasn't bad, but the Atkins Advantage Milk Chocolate Delight was foul.)

This afternoon when feeding my cats Elegant Medleys Fancy Feast Chicken and Egg Soufflé, I have to admit I was tempted to lick the spoon.  (Yuck!!  That is total desperation!!) 

I have been watching my diet and trying to chew, chew, chew since I started this journey August 21, 2008.  I gave up diet Coke (my drug of choice) October 6 (last one October 5).  I have been walking 30 minutes nearly every day.  I always did drink lots of water.  However, yesterday, knowing that it was my last day to "pig out," I did.  Big time!!  My stomach hurt when I went to bed and still hurt when I got up.  I wasn't even hungry until this afternoon, but dutifully drank my first shake of the day.  I told my husband I hope I remember this feeling of being stuffed and half sick.  I haven't done this for quite some time.  I pray that I will NEVER EVER do it again.

Anyway, now I am so hungry.  I am drinking water and clear liquids and have had two shakes, but I am sooooo hungry.  Can anyone tell me (remind me) how long this takes.  I recall that after a certain period of time the hunger abated.

Thanks all.  God Bless,

Kathi
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil 4:13 OH Christian Forum
Heaviest 264/Initial Consult 252.2/Surgery Date 225/Current 146.7/Goal 138    

I KNOW I CAN, I KNOW I CAN, I KNOW I CAN (Copied from someone else)
                     http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/christianity/
e2f31bc7ce4b450630c39d40bc38869f.gif Me-Before and During image by KathiBear    ohwttlb_01.jpg Welcome-Losers Bench image by KathiBear
890468azs8hcyy05.gif Life Change image by KathiBear LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg LW Century image by KathiBear

dhiness
on 10/17/08 8:46 am - St. Romuald, Canada
I'm on day four of the opti-fast liquid diet.  It is usually good for 2 hours and then the next 2 hours I too have hunger.  Must say that I'm finding day four harder than days 1-2-3.  I think because I'm sick of not having real food.  I also find it is a bit of a mental battle.  If you can stay very busy or active it helps.    I too hope the hunger will be very much gone soon! 

NancyPass
on 10/17/08 11:44 am - East Camden, AR
I started the pre-op diet as well (on Tuesday)  The one I'm on is HMR (5 shakes per day)  I don't think I'll ever want another shake for as long as I live.  They actually don't taste bad, I'm just tired of sweet, I WANT A PICKLE!!!  It is getting easier though.
Eyekiss
on 10/18/08 1:43 am - Detroit, MI
Hello, I am about 9 days out of surgery and I am still  on the liquid diet.  It will get better once you have the surgery.  I do not get, hungry as much post surgery and with the liquids then it is easier to feel fuller quicker than with your old stomach.... But there is a lot of mental head stress about which foods I wish I could eat, even though I am not hungry. 

In my mind, I want to plan what I am eating for the day but have to chosse liquids instead of solid foods and that is the hardest part for me.  The only thing that is saving me right now are those suger free popsicles.... Hang in there girl, we will be back to food one day soon enough.
Kathi C.
on 10/18/08 3:27 am - Pompano Beach, FL
Thanks for your sweet encouragement and reminding me about SF Popsicles, I forgot....I bought some yesterday.  I am going to be having one of those now. 

And, I know that I will live through it.  I just wanted to whine.  I am not really thinking about food, this is really stomach hunger (not head hunger).  I could eat anything solid.  I do keep thinking about carrots.

Keep hanging in there and read the boards.  I love reading those who are further out who were whining and fearful and now they are saying, "look where I am now," and encouraging others. 

Thanks again. 

God Bless,

Kathi

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phil 4:13 OH Christian Forum

e2f31bc7ce4b450630c39d40bc38869f.gif Me-Before and During image by KathiBear    ohwttlb_01.jpg Welcome-Losers Bench image by KathiBear
890468azs8hcyy05.gif Life Change image by KathiBear LW-Apple-Gold-Small.jpg LW Century image by KathiBear

Tishi65
on 10/19/08 7:13 am - GA
Hey the Adkins Milk Chocolate is not too bad if you add the skim milk to it.   Then it tastes like chocolate milk... I thought the same thing when I opened the first one UUUGGGGHHHH
Kathi C.
on 10/19/08 12:13 pm - Pompano Beach, FL
Thanks, it actually isn't so bad today.  And, I am not as hungry as the first two days.  I will try with skim milk when I get some, I still have 6 left to drink.

Good luck on your surgery coming up.  I will pray for you.

God Bless,

Kathi

honey47
on 10/18/08 3:42 am - Woodland Park, CO
Hi Kathi,
I jut got through with the three day diet and also my lapband operation on 10/16 so I know what you're going through, but belive me you will make it if you think of what's coming. For once I was happy to see the anethesiologist who could put me out of my misery! When I woke up I didn't feel like eating, but was happy to get a cup of ice! Now I'm on the pureed diet which isn't too bad. I made a nice potato soup with cream of chicken soup 98% fat free and some mashed potatoes and a little onion powder and milk. It has been a challenge trying to get my taste back nothing tastes that good right now. Lots of luck to you!
Belinda
Kathi C.
on 10/18/08 3:55 am - Pompano Beach, FL
Thank you and good luck.  See you on the loser's bench SOON!!

God Bless,

Kathi

mewiltom
on 10/18/08 8:25 am - Champaign, IL
 Try chicken broth it helps out a lot i know it did for me. And it will be here before you know it. Like people said the preop diet is the hardest because you can eat the food and your body need you to eat it just keep busy and drink a lot of water. And it is true I'm not hungry at all. Good luck to you.

I thank god im almost on the other side.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Old habits die hard
vb2305 · 1 replies · 1296 views
Off Track
barigal1 · 0 replies · 1256 views
Join us in 2010
John W. · 0 replies · 922 views