BMI 35 with comorbidities...do I have a chance?

ballkc
on 10/21/08 10:59 am
Has anyone here had the RNY with a BMI of 35? Did you have to jump through a million hoops? Was insuance difficult? I have my intake appointment at NW Hospital next week. I'm wondering if I'm wasting my time. My husband had his surgery this past may. He had the RNY but had severe diabetes (which I don't have). Any advice or experience to share? Thanks.

Karen
Joni_Jazz
on 10/23/08 4:12 am - Pflugerville, TX
Hello There,

Yes, I too had a BMI of 35 before my surgery, which was pretty recent (October 14th to be exact).  I was approved by my insurance based on the fact that I had comorbidities, such as diabetes, and hypertension.  It wasn't extremely easy to get an approval, however, it wasn't too difficult either. It took alot of fighting with them, however, in the end, I did get approved.  As long as your provider's are submitting ta strong case for your needing the surger,  you are likely to get approved.

Hope this helps....Good Luck :-)
stephaniejoy
on 10/25/08 10:05 am - Mont Belvieu, TX
Yep, I had a  BMI of 35.4 and very few mild comorbidities. Every insurance is different of course but I had no problems at all. I was approved THE DAY my surgeons office submitted the request. I had RNY 10/15/08.

Stephanie H.
Yesterday I dared to struggle. Today I dare to win.
- Bernadette Devlin
Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway - Earl Nightingale
All Time High/Pre-Op/Surgery Day/
1st Goal/2nd Goal/Current

217          210          204            145       135          118
                                         GOAL!!!
April 7th 2010 - LBL/BL/BA

Most Active
Recent Topics
Old habits die hard
vb2305 · 1 replies · 1294 views
Off Track
barigal1 · 0 replies · 1255 views
Join us in 2010