Any Fellow Prozac-Takers Out There?

sboenigk
on 10/27/08 4:57 am - Palmdale, CA
 Hi everyone - had my surgery on 9/22 and have had a great experience, all except for my usual prozac prescription.  Before surgery, I got it in the liquid form, tried it out for a few days, and all seemed fine. However, since surgery, I am having one heck of a time getting that stuff down, it really makes me sick to my stomach. Even thinking about it brings on the sick feeling in my stomach. Has anyone else out there continued taking the capsule form, or opened the capsules and mixed in with something? Any advice would be SO appreciated!
Farmgirl58
on 10/27/08 12:23 pm - AL
Hi, just read your comments on Prozac, I too am on the prescription.  I have not had my surgery yet, but didnt' realize that I might not beable to take the medication pill form...would like to hear from other folks who have had lap band surgery and the effects they might have from taking pill form prescriptions, is it difficult?  I have to take 4 different medications daily, never thought it would be a problem. 
Thank you for your help.  Farmgirl58
sboenigk
on 11/7/08 12:30 am - Palmdale, CA
 Sorry I took so long to respond..the reason we are unable to take the capsules is because we (those who had RNY) no longer have what's necessary to break down the "plastic" of the capsule, so they would just go through our systems without any absorption of the medication.  I'm not sure how that works for the lap band, your surgeon will be able to tell you for sure.  Best of luck!
(deactivated member)
on 11/3/08 4:55 pm - Branford, CT
Hi, I too take Prozac and my surgery was on 10-31-08.  I didn't take my pills for the past couple of days but I broke open the capsule and diluted it with some water........NASTY!! 
sboenigk
on 11/7/08 12:28 am - Palmdale, CA
 I know what you mean..I tried that also! And I have to take 3 capsules, or 60 mg. per day, so I can't  imagine that there's anything I could do to disguise that poison taste! If you run across any ideas, please pass them to me. I'm a little surprised that I didn't get more responses; I thought there would be many more prozac-takers out there in our community, so thank you for your input! It looks like I may have to stick with the liquid version :(  but if this is the only hardship I must endure, it's nothing in the grand scheme of things!
(deactivated member)
on 11/7/08 1:16 am - Branford, CT
I wasn't aware that it is in liquid form.  Do it tast as nasty as the powder from the pills?  I also take 60 mg and since the first night I opened the capsule, I just can't stomach it!!  Maybe when I move in to my next stage I can sprinkle it in applesauce or something????
sboenigk
on 11/9/08 11:56 pm - Palmdale, CA
 The liquid form is available, and it's described as "mint" flavored...I do not enjoy it but it is definitely better than opening the capsules and taking the powder! I can't think of anything that would mask that taste! So, ask your doctor to prescribe the liquid form. For a daily dose of 60 mg you take one tablespoon.
Farmgirl58
on 11/7/08 3:16 am - AL
Has anyone with lap band had this problem with taking medication?  I am only on 20mg, and maybe if I have to dilute it in something, maybe orange juicemight do the trick, or jello?  Just a suggestion...so much to learn before my surgery, which I do not know when that will be, not at that stage yet...probably won't be until Jan for my realize band surgery, due to the slowness of getting appts for the evals.  I have heard if you have to drink something that does not taste great, to hold ones nose while drinking and you won't taste it! LOL  Might be worth a try. 
Farmgirl58
sboenigk
on 11/9/08 11:58 pm - Palmdale, CA
 Thanks for the tip! This morning when I take it, I will hold my nose and see if it's any better!
Greytquilta
on 5/4/09 3:21 am - North Kingstown, RI

I've been taking Prozac in the capsule form since before my surgery.  I stopped taking it for about  2   weeks and my surgeon said get back on my psychiatric meds.  It gives me heart burn every once in a while but other that that it works great.

Pat

Most Active
Recent Topics
Old habits die hard
vb2305 · 1 replies · 1294 views
Off Track
barigal1 · 0 replies · 1255 views
Join us in 2010
John W. · 0 replies · 921 views