Need help - liquid diet is making me sick and I don't know what to do

Dutchgirl62
on 10/3/09 1:37 pm - Steger, IL
My surgery is Oct 6th and my stupid doctor has us on 14 days of liquid diet - 7 days on protein drinks and 7 days on this god awful stuff Isopure and only water - the protein drinks phase went fine and I'm on day 4 of the isopure and feeling lousy and my stomach is in a total uproar....I had to have some soup twice as I was feeling lethargic and lightheaded.  Last night - my stomach was cramping and my back felt like it was on fire - I had some chicken broth and it immediately settled down....today same thing happened around 2PM this afternoon while I was out running errands and again I had to stop and get some soup because I was feeling very nautious....my stomach is still in an uproar...why do they make us do these crazy things and then we don't get to eat real food until the fourth week after surgery - what did your doctor tell you?   I'm really really struggling here with following dr. orders - I want to do what's right but I'm feeling absolutely terrible....

I've lost 15 lbs in 12 days - the protein shakes was find but I'm really second guessing this liquid phase - my doctor is "conservative" but this is ridiculous - anyone else have to do this for so long before surgery and then 15 days after surgery too....I'm almost ready to switch doctors -I feel like going back to the protein shakes...my stomach is still in an uproar and don't feel well.

Help!!! Any advice from anyone????  Please respond!!!!  I'm drowning here - is my dr. nuts?
 Dutchgirl

DeeDee1107
on 10/4/09 8:42 am

I have my surgery on Oct. 26 and my Dr. wants us to do 14 day diet as well.  The first 13 days which will start on Oct. 12th will be replacing meals with the protein drinks and I can eat raw or steamed vegetables.  I can also drink crystal light sugar-free, sugar free jello (which I hate), decaf herbal tea or chcken or beef broth or bouillon.  On day 14 I switch to complete liquids wht nothing else.  I have started replacing one meal with a protein shake to get myself use to it.  The shakes are not that bad, and I hope that when it is time for me to do it before the surgery I will continue to do it esp. since all my meals are to be replace with the protein.  That last day I believe I will be so nervous I would not notice if I can not eat anything (just drink.) 

Just hang in there.  You are at the end and this should not be something that will make you not what to live a healtier life. When we all look back at this it will not seem as hard as it seems now.  You CAN DO IT. 

(deactivated member)
on 10/4/09 11:12 am
Thank God my liquid diet is only for 8 days.  Good luck and hope all goes well with your surgery and the beginning of a wonderful journey.
Brenda E.
on 10/5/09 9:01 am - Fredericksburg, VA
RNY on 07/29/09 with

I had to do a 2 week liquid diet also and the reason they have us do this is to shrink the fatty liver so that it is easier to do the surgery.  My dr. uses the Optifast program which is very much like slim fast.  I got 5 shakes a day and 1 protein bar...all the water you wanted and up to 2 servings of SF Jello and SF popsicles. 

You almost have this whipped!  Hang in there and after surgery you wont worry so much about the liquid diet.  I am just over 2 months out and am honestly never physically hungry!  Good luck to you!

Brenda

Dutchgirl62
on 10/5/09 9:13 am - Steger, IL
thanks - I wish I had your doctor....
 Dutchgirl

Most Active
Recent Topics