Can you have WLS with Severe Lung Disease?

ghe5522
on 10/2/03 10:20 am - Dallas, TX
I was supposed to have the Lap Roux-en-Y surgery in September, but I received an e-mail from the lead physician who stated, and I quote, "I have had several discussions with Dr. Adrales, our primarily laparoscopic bariatric surgeon, and she feels very strongly that your risk is a major issue. Between your age and your severe lung disease she believes that you would not tolerate the 2 or 3 hours with the abdomen full of CO2. I am willing to proceed with open gastric bypass if you desire." I did not want to have the open, but I went ahead and scheduled the surgery. I am scheduled for the Open Roux-en-Y surgery November 20th. My surgeon informed me repeatedly that I will be at great risk since I have severe COPD including chronic bronchitis, emphysema, and asthma. I am currently on the following medications for my lungs: Iprathropium Bromide, Broncil, Xopenex, Albuterol, Flonase, and Clarintin or Singuliar. I am on oxygen 24 hours a day. My lung and heart doctors tell me I won't survive without the surgery and my WLS surgeon is telling me that I am at great risk with this surgery. I'm scared. Has anyone had this type of surgery with this many complications of the lungs? If so, I would like to correspond with you. Thanks!
(deactivated member)
on 10/2/03 2:07 pm - CA
Glenda, I know you have a hard decision to make. I just wanted to let you know that I chose to have the open RNY over the Lap just because with the open you are put under much less time. Then I found out that because I had open gall bladder, they could only do the open RNY for me. I was fine with that. My surgery is scheduled for Nov 12th. Maybe it would help to talk to your lung and heart doctors again and then to your surgeon. The surgeons have to tell you the risks (worse case scenareria) so that you are aware of what could happen. Wishing you the best. Mary
Most Active
Recent Topics
7 Years
Steve L. · 0 replies · 622 views
Would you do it again?
Jersey917 · 2 replies · 708 views