What should I bring???

(deactivated member)
on 10/13/03 8:01 pm
I am scheduled for surgery on November 3rd. What items should I bring with me. Will they allow me to wear my own night gowns or do they keep you in the hospital gowns. Thanks in advance for you help!!
(deactivated member)
on 10/13/03 10:06 pm - CA
Wishing you the best for a speedy recovery. Most hospitals prefer that you wear their gowns, but why not call and ask what their policy is. If they allow you to bring your own, you will want at least one per day. I'm going to pack a good pair of slip on shoes that are comfortable to walk in as I don't feel slippers will give enough support and we have to do a lot of walking. Make sure they fit well without socks. Also going to take a zip up the front robe. Be sure it is a robe you don't have to pull over your head as you probably will have an IV. I also plan on taking a battery operated desk (small 6 inch) fan. I was always hot when I had my gall bladder out. Most hospitals will not allow you to bring a plug in fan with you. Then a brush/comb, some hand lotion ... Definitely a pillow for the ride home. Many find it is more comfortable on the ride home if you have a large pillow to hug against the incision. In the car, you are amazed at the moment and a pillow helps your stomach area stay stable. Mary
(deactivated member)
on 10/14/03 3:01 am - CA
hard glass case if you wear glasses
April S.
on 10/14/03 5:05 am - Toledo, OH
Here's my list so far: My little phone book (for hubby to make phone calls to family) Chapstick (I hear this is a very good thing to bring) Brush Robe Slippers A few magazines (which I'm sure I won't read) Shower gel Shampoo Conditioner Hand lotion Phone card for making LD calls scrunchies for pulling hair up in pony tail My journal (something else I'm sure I won't use) Very loose pants and button down shirt to wear home. I'm thinking of wearing flannel pj bottoms and a zip up sweatshirt, because I'm sure I wont want to put anything over my head, and with that incision, Im' not going to want to throw jeans on. It's an ongoing list anyway... I won't bring my own nightgowns because (not to sound gross) I'm not sure what fluids may end up on them. I bled out of an iv once and it made QUITE a mess (a puddle of blood basically), and I'd rather not worry about getting them nasty. April
(deactivated member)
on 10/14/03 7:00 am - CA
I am going to bring a flowing dress to wear home rather than slacks and blouse. I know when I had my gall bladder out, the dress was perfect as it didn't bind me at all. No pressure on the incisions. Chap stick and a phone card are great suggestions (from another poster). Remember most hospitals will not allow you to use cell phones in the hospital and if you use the room phone you have to use a calling card except for local calls.
Most Active
Recent Topics
7 Years
Steve L. · 0 replies · 621 views
Would you do it again?
Jersey917 · 2 replies · 708 views