WHAT TO BRING TO THE HOPSITAL

Eileen S.
on 10/14/03 6:40 am - San Diego, CA
(I got this from a friend a while back, hope it helps everyone) Chap Stick - you'd be surprised how much you will need it! I reccommend that Carmex stuff. Baby wipes - ooooooh yes! Your body will get soooo dry and "icky" (you can't shower for a few days) They give you stuff to wash up with, but it's not the same! Stri-Dex face wipes (get the individually wrapped ones in the teal-colored box). You're not gonna feel like bending over the sink to wash your face. Cooling spray (Make your own by putting wintergreen rubbing alcohol or Sea Breeze in a little spray bottle. It's great for cooling off when you can't get to the shower... also, spray it on your feet; it feels awesome and really refreshing. TOTALLY worth it!) Hand lotion - again this is cuz you will totally dry out. Small size shampoo / conditioner - just in case you CAN shower Toothbrush / toothpaste / small Listerine (if you can't brush your teeth, rinsing with Listerine helps a lot.) Back scratcher Tongs (for reacharound problems in the restroom... I didn't need it, but some people do. My tummy swelled up a LOT! Some do though, some don't) Bring maxi-pads!! You will get your period--- bank on it. And the hospitals only have those huge ass bulky things... ugh! Bandanna or Eye Mask for blocking out the light when you want to sleep (won't matter if you have a private room, though Earplugs for when your roommate snores or the equipment hum makes you insane (I didn't use these - but someone reccommended taking some just in case) Slip-on, no-slip slippers (say that out loud, it's fun) - you will THANK me! Make sure they are cushy, cuz your feet will hurt with a lot of walking! make sure they don't slip easy, cuz the rug is kinda easy to slip on. Mine weren't that cushy and they were kinda slippery, talk about oochie feet! Warm socks for when your feet get cold - YOU WILL THANK ME!! Long robe so you can walk around without flashing the world - that was always fun! Walkman (though admittedly, the wires get annoying, especially when you have 8276 IVs sticking out of you) Cell Phone and charger (Strangely enough, the nurses said I could use my cell phone from my room. Check with your nurses first.) List of phone numbers of people to call - Even if you have them memorized - you WILL forget in the hospital! I couldn't remember my MOM'S number!! Comfy Pajamas (I bought two-piece pajamas that were two sizes too big, so the waist of the pajama pants wouldn't rub on my belly. I was very glad I brought two-piece PJs.) Hair-band, it'll keep your hair out of your face Inspirational notes and posts from people in this group; happy notes from friends. (I read them while in the waiting room before surgery.) A pillow for the car ride home (if your surgeon doesn't give you a bariatric pillow... mine didn't) Stationary - I didn't use this at all, but someone staying with you might want to keep an ongoing journal of the hospital stay. Portable Fan!! - this was soooo necessary. Often people get fevers in the hospital, and the air blowing on me was heavenly so much of the time. Remember: What you wear to the hospital might not be what you'll be comfortable wearing home. So, either pack something extra, or wear something ultra-comfy to the hospital. I would reccommend BAGGY pants and top. Seriously, my tummy swelled up sooooo much that clothes were tight for a while!! Some people tell you to bring magazines, puzzle books, books, etc... but trust me - I doubt you'll ever have a chance to concentrate that much.
(deactivated member)
on 10/14/03 7:02 am - CA
Some very good tips. Thanks.
Eileen S.
on 10/14/03 7:53 am - San Diego, CA
Opps, I copied that in a "list" form. I didn't realize it would squi**** all together like that. Still hope it helps.
nrskris10
on 10/14/03 8:35 am - Marshfield, MO
Thanks EIleen, that is all very helpful. I am going to bring travel size or sample shampoos, the patients I have seen, brought big brand new bottles and either did not use them or used them once. (one less thing to carry in and out) As for cell phones, most hospitals are up to date on the latest technology and allow cell phone use. Bakersfield Memorial Hospital allows them, but UCLA (a year ago) did not. I was so shocked. Most hopistals are finding that the cell phones are not interfereing with the equipment these days. But, yes I will definitely ask about this! Luckily I am local, so if I need to use the phone it won't be a big deal. And being local, if I need anything from home, my husband can grab it for me. I have been so blessed on this whole thing! The money I am saving by my husband not having to take a weekk off of work, stay in a hotel, make long distance calls, etc...I am truly lucky!
Megan B.
on 10/15/03 1:37 am - Burrillville, RI
I don't know if this is just at my hospital or not but when I had surgery earlier this year (for something else) I had to take off my wedding ring. They didn't tell me until after I was in the room getting hooked up to IV's so I couldn't give it to my husband in the waiting room, I had to put it in the pocket of my pants and hope that noone touched it. This time I plan on leaving it home in my jewelry box before I go so I don't worry about it! You may want to check with your hospital on their jewelry policy to avoid this problem! Megan
Most Active
Recent Topics
7 Years
Steve L. · 0 replies · 621 views
Would you do it again?
Jersey917 · 2 replies · 708 views