Starting to Freak!

Eileen S.
on 10/16/03 8:15 am - San Diego, CA
Well, it's less than 3 weeks away and I am getting more and more scared. I guess it's the fear of the unknown. I still don't understand the whole eating thing afterwards. Then there is the part of me that hates the idea of losing my friend.....FOOD. It's the lazy part of me that thinks that way. Plus, there is that fear of "what if's". I love my husband more than anything in the world. I hope what I am doing is the best for us both, not a horrible mistake. Anyway, thank you for letting me get this off my chest.
Elizabeth T.
on 10/16/03 12:45 pm - Keshena, Wi
Eileen, Everything is going to be just fine. Just take this one day at a time and think how happy your going to feel. I, too worry about my friend whose name is FOOD. Everything will be alright. You are doing the right thing for yourself and your husband. Hang in there. Smile cause your almost there. My surgery date is 11/17/03. I'm with you. Well have such a wonderful Thankgiving dinner. Pureed turkey, potatoes, carrots and all that good stuff. (ha,ha) Think about this..."What if you don't do this surgery, how will you feel?", the same? Eileen, good luck and god bless. I will send some prayers your way!
nrskris10
on 10/16/03 5:23 pm - Marshfield, MO
I too am worried about how this will change my life. Especially the dynamics of my marriage. We have a strong marriage, but it is a really big change and it does scare me. Eileen, have you been to support group meetings? I have found them very helpful. After the meetings we stand outside and talk for ANOTHER hour with other patients. ESPECIALLY the post ops! (lots of questions). At a meeting I attended this week, the leader talked about depression and dealing with loss. I never realized just how much this would affect me. I think at first we just assume that skinny=happy, but the deeper we delve into it, the more we THINK about all the very real changes! I am already planning on going to a counselor, just to help me get through what I am sure will be a rough time ahead emotionally! It's hard to beleive that people have lost tons of weight and cried all the way through it, but it is common. I'm already a little on the depressed side in general,(I have been on prozac for 4 years---and THANK GOD for it!!) I am just playing it safe and getting all the counseling I can before and after surgery! Take care and remember that most people probably feel like this beofre surgery. I am less than 3 weeks away too and the QUESTIONS have started coming to me full force lately. Take care and remember to talk to your surgeon if you have any questions.
Adrienne M.
on 10/17/03 5:25 am - Longview, Tx
Thank God I am not the only one feeling this way. My surgery is scheduled for 11/03/03 and i am nervous as heck but anxious at the same time . It is nice to know that i am not the only one feeling this way. Ima trying to think of only positive things but it is hard. when u have that something in the back of ur mind going what if.......
Joanne M.
on 10/17/03 6:17 am - Millbrook, AL
My date is Nov. 4 and I feel a little better now learning that I am not the only one that is beginning to freak out a little. As the other posts say it is a life changing experience and I hope I am doing the right thing. I can see my health getting a little worse every year and I hope this surgery can help me get started on a good eating and exercise lifestyle. At my size now I could barely walk around WalMart without getting tired and a terrible back ache. I too will miss my friend FOOD. I need to direct my thoughts to something constructive and find a new "Friend". Maybe the ones of us who have faced this fear will have most of out worrying out of the way by the time our surgery day comes. I hope I don't have to lay on a gurney in a holding area for a long time while they get ready for me now I know that is silly but those holding areas give me far too much time to think and stew.
Eileen S.
on 10/17/03 8:45 am - San Diego, CA
You all are awesome! Thank you for being so supportive and understanding in this matter. I too am glad to know I am not alone in my feelings. I know this isn't going to be easy, but hey, who said anything in life would be easy. I figure it will be a life long battle, even after the surgery. Anyway, I wish everyone the best of luck and success! We WILL do great! Just think in a few weeks we will all start piping up that we are post-op, home and doing well! God Bless!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
7 Years
Steve L. · 0 replies · 621 views
Would you do it again?
Jersey917 · 2 replies · 708 views