A few questions....

Ellen H.
on 9/23/08 4:31 am - Metro Detroit, MI
Since we are all going on this journey together I thought maybe we could share a little bit...

1.  Are you telling people that you are having the surgery?

2.  Do you feel like you need to say goodbye to any foods?

3.  Was your approval process smooth?

4.  Does it feel real yet? 
Ellen H.
on 9/23/08 4:39 am - Metro Detroit, MI
Well to answer my own questions.... Here goes

1.  Are you telling people that you are having the surgery?  I am actually telling some people and not telling others.  If I feel like it is someone that will want the best for me and see the surgery as a choice to help my health rather than about vanity I will tell them.  Still I haven't told that many people.  I just feel like it is something I am not comfortable sharing right now. 

2.  Do you feel like you need to say goodbye to any foods?  Well I hope I don't sound like a total nut job here but I have had a food addiction for most of my life and I have made a short list of restaurants I hope to visit before surgery.  It is not too crazy just a few places like Olive Garden and Mongolian BBQ.

3.  Was your approval process smooth?  My journey to approval was anything but smooth.  I went for my seminar in Oct of 2006.  I then went on to be denied two times gain 20 more lbs and feel helpless.  We switched insurances this year and I decided to attempt to submit again.  I had already decided that I would pay out of pocket even if I was denied, but to my surprise since I have a bmi over 50 I didn't need a diet or to even submit it is an automatic approval.

4.  Does it feel real yet?  Not at all.  This has been 2 years to get here and it just isn't settling in.  I know it must sound weird.
Sh3rry
on 9/25/08 3:56 pm, edited 9/25/08 3:57 pm - Syracuse, NY
1.  Are you telling people that you are having the surgery?

I have told a few people, family and friends. All are supportive but, in the shock, i'm actually going through with it and not just talking about it.

2.  Do you feel like you need to say goodbye to any foods?

No I do not have a particular goodbye to any specific food, just goodbye to my old habits that got me where I am today.

3.  Was your approval process smooth? 

Yes, my approval was actually smoother than I expected.

4.  Does it feel real yet? 

Its too surreal for me at this time, No its has not hit me yet I have a month and a week left before surgery. I do not think it will hit me till the day I'm being wheeled in on the gurney!!

Sherry
Ellen H.
on 9/26/08 12:27 am - Metro Detroit, MI
First off Sh3rry I want to say congrats on your surgery date.  I am set for the day after you.  And I wanted to tell you my good friend just had surgery with Dr. Kim at the end of August and she is very happy with everything. 
Sh3rry
on 9/27/08 1:18 am - Syracuse, NY
OMG are you too a neighbor from UPstate??? Well I'm so  happy that she had a good experience. This is always a good thing to hear. Also, congratz to you as well on your sugery date!! We all have to stay in touch!  we are all close in WLS date.

Sherry
Ellen H.
on 9/28/08 3:57 am - Metro Detroit, MI
I am actually in Michigan.  My friend melissa is someone I met through a messageboard about a year ago I guess.  She and I didn't know for a long time that we were both planning on getting the surgery for a long time.  She has a profile over here and is mistletoe76 on my profile.  I know that she would be more than happy to answer any questions you may have. 
Renée M.
on 9/23/08 10:51 am - Syracuse, NY
1.  Are you telling people that you are having the surgery?  I have told VERY few people!  It is very odd because the people who think would support you are the ones who are jerkie about it! 

2.  Do you feel like you need to say goodbye to any foods?  Not really.  :-) 

3.  Was your approval process smooth?  I have not been approved yet BUT I did reveive my pre op info in the mail today so maybe I have been approved and I just don't know about it yet! 

4.  Does it feel real yet? When that pre op info came in the mail, it became more real.  I am so excited and scared and anxious and nervous --- like I'm sure we all are!  :-)
Renée
444.5       /   430.2    /     408.2    /    299.8     /   244.5    /     249     /  225
Highest / 07-11-08 / 11-25-08  / 06-07-09 / 03-25-10 / 01-31-11 /  STG
sheri139
on 9/23/08 10:38 pm - Ottawa, Canada
RNY on 11/05/08 with

1.  I have told my immediate family and they seem to be supportive and are with me as it will lenghten my life (we hope).

2.  Yes I do.  I have a few places I will no longer be able to go so have visted (ate at) a few in the last month.

3.  My approval was smooth but I felt it took a long time.  (3 months). 

4.  Some days I am scared and other days it feels like it is happending to someone else. 

RNY ohcardsmallsheri.gif picture by lynnca1972 Nov 5, 2008
16 pounds lost pre surgery    
Kelly C.
on 9/23/08 11:24 pm - Clinton, Canada

Are you telling people you are having the surgery?
I have told people. Most of my family know. My imediate family is supportive, my mom is still a little hesitant, but she will be fine!!I have told a few friends, but not everyone! I figure they will ask me when they start to see if a difference!!

Do you feel like you need to say goodbye to any foods?
Mmmm, I dont feel like I do. Im pretty good withnot eating things that I will not be able to eat after surgery! The only thing that I am really going to miss for a while is going to restaurants. I need to feel comfortable with going places and ordering what I can eat!

Was your approval process smooth?
Well when I think about it now, yeah it was smooth.But when it was going on, I thought it wasnt. It took from start to finish about 1 month and a couple weeks. from July 3 to Aug 12 when I found out I was approved!

Does it feel real yet?
Kinda. I think once I get my PATs done it will feel real. I go through only two emotions like everyday. One...feeling so excited and cant hardly wait and two....very nervous. But I try to think of all the positive things that will happen after surgery!!

Kelly

sheri139
on 9/24/08 10:59 am - Ottawa, Canada
RNY on 11/05/08 with

Feel kind of stupid but  ....
here goes  - what are PATs ??

sheri

RNY ohcardsmallsheri.gif picture by lynnca1972 Nov 5, 2008
16 pounds lost pre surgery    
Most Active
Recent Topics
Survived July 4th