Non-Supportive

hvnlymorning
on 9/25/08 1:58 am - Lake Lure, NC
My husband is older than I and is very old fashioned. Until he met me he knew nothing abuot depression or that women actually have "feelings". He knows how bad I want and need the Lapband and last night he said he thought that I was making a bad mistke. He said that I will be making it harder on the family becasue he "feels" like this is wrong. He wants me to walk 5 miles everyday and only eat two sandwiches a day. WHAT THE HECK!!! That is not going to make everything right!! He was on that diet without the excerise and lost 50 pounds in one year..yeah because he was starving himself!! What happened he went right back to his normal routine and gained it plus more back. That is not what I want. I need support so badly and the only place I get it is here.

Thoughts?
Kelly C.
on 9/25/08 7:54 am - Clinton, Canada
You have all the support here on OH!!I support everyone on here no matter what!!!My sister was like that too except she knows when I set my mind to something I will do it. She is just worried that something will go wrong! She doesnt want to loose me!! I told her that if I dont get this done she will loose me cause of the bad choices I have made!

I hope I dont sound like a "female dog"but you need to do what is right for you! Not what other people want. I told myself that I felt selfish when I said that but this is MY LIFE I am worried about! and everyone else needs to except that!

Maybe he is just worried that youwill change or something will happen in surgery!

if you ever need to vent or just talk feel free, Im a great listener!!LOL

Taker easy
Kelly
hvnlymorning
on 9/26/08 4:02 am - Lake Lure, NC
Thank you so much for all the great comments! When I listen to the doubters in my life I start doubting myself too; but then I hop onto OH and I find "me" again. I do not know what I would do or would have done if I hadn't found this site. I really appreciate everyone here.

Thanks!
Ellen H.
on 9/26/08 12:25 am - Metro Detroit, MI
ITA with Kelly.  I think that there are a lot of men that are afraid of their wives getting the surgery because of fears that you will change and fears that something will go wrong.  You need to absolutely what feels right for you.  Two years ago when I started on my journey to approval I told no one.  I decided this for myself and I didn't need anyone elses opinions affecting something so personal to me.  I would just try and reassure him that this will be the best for your whole family.  Hopefully he can be more open minded and see the benefits. 
Kelly C.
on 9/26/08 5:53 am - Clinton, Canada
I totally 2nd that!!LOL
jtonkin6
on 9/27/08 11:48 am
Let your husband know you hear what he is saying but his diet is not for you.  The lapband will help you control your weight, but you will still have to work to lose pounds.  Explain that you want his support with this new experience.  It is a life style change that will keep a healthy you in his life long.  And if he can't say anything good, keep quiet.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Survived July 4th
spark · 0 replies · 807 views
Is it possible?
spark · 0 replies · 769 views
Back to Basics
spark · 2 replies · 1055 views
Losing Control
BooBoo139 · 0 replies · 2031 views