Was wondering about the wait

Trayc67
on 9/30/08 8:43 am - Holbrook , MA
Hello Everyone,
I decided to have the lap-band done after alot of thought and research.  I found a doctor  and have my first appointment with him on Nov 3.  
I have read and heard different things about waiting for surgery,  I was told could take 6-12 months until surgery, then I read online that someone said 2 1/2 weeks and someone else said about a month.   (I could be miss understanding that)
How long after the first appointment, blood work,  and all that then approval do people have to wait until surgery ?

I am just excited and really want this and need it .
Thank you for your time

Tracy
OMCV
on 9/30/08 7:36 pm - CA
Five Months & Counting
11/12 - Possible Surgery Date
9/29 - Nutritionist
9/16 - Approval
9/6 - Surgeon / Dr Machado
8/11 - 2nd Orientation
7/24 - Physch
7/21 - Change Surgeons
7/18 - 1st Surgeon
6/4 - 1st Orientation
5/19 - Physical
4/28 - Original Referral
Come join me in my WLS journey at http://www.youtube.com/OMCV04
Kelly C.
on 10/1/08 8:38 am - Clinton, Canada

Hey Tracy, Im from ont. so Idont know what yrou insurance is like and the wait for WLS are. Sorry I cant help you. But I do want to congradulate you on yoru decision for WLS. You will have the best support besides yoru family on OH. So congrates again.

Kelly

Trayc67
on 10/1/08 1:28 pm - Holbrook , MA
Thank you    so much  
Ellen H.
on 10/1/08 1:21 pm - Metro Detroit, MI

My experience was really terrible.  There are a lot of things that come into acct when trying to figure how long it will be till you have surgery.  First and maybe most importantly is whether or not your insurance company covers the surgery and if so what are the guidelines.  Many programs have a clause about needing to have a doctor supervised diet.  That can range from a few months to a year.  Then from there in the event that you know you can qualify it would depend on how busy your surgery office is. 

From beginning to end for me will be just over 2 years.  I was denied twice by my previous insurance company.  Then with my new insurance company I had a 6 month pre existing condition wait period.  My doctor only does surgeries one day a week because he is also a general surgeon so he is typically scheduled a few months out. 

Hope this helps! 

Trayc67
on 10/1/08 1:36 pm - Holbrook , MA
Thanks  for the info.
The first thing I did  when I made my mind up was call my ins.  I am cover unlimited all I have to pay is the co/pays  Thank God.
Right after I post my first message  I found one women that has the same ins as I  and with in a month  she had everything done. 

I know I am jumping the gun but just excited and want to do this so bad. 
Thank you for the info and your time   and I wish the best of luck  and all works out for you.
Tracy
Ellen H.
on 10/2/08 12:43 am - Metro Detroit, MI

You know what finding someone with the same insurance as you that had a really great experience is fantastic. 

At this point you just need to make sure to schedule everything as soon as possible.  You just may be sitting on the losers bench by the end of this year. 

Not to sound like I am lecturing though.  I think that from where I came from in the 2 year wait I think that just knowing I can get it done is enough.  I don't need it tomorrow, november 4th will come soon enough.  Now that you know for sure you are essentially approved I would take my time to find the best surgeon that was right for me.  I was lucky and found mine on the first try.  I have a certain kind of personality where I need to be able to laugh and ask a lot of serious questions.  Dr. Schneider just happened to gel with me really well. 

I hope that you keep your profile updated with how your journey is going so that I can check in and see.  BTW I did check your profile realy quick and the pic of you and your son I think it said.  I immediately thought wow she is close with her brother.  Then scrolled down to see it was your son!!!!  LOL You look great now!

Renée M.
on 10/4/08 12:47 pm - Syracuse, NY
Hi, Tracy.  My first informational meeting was on June 6th and my surgery is November 25th.  So almost 6 months BUT I was on top of it!  They are so backed up here but I was so organized and lost my 5% so I was finished with all of my appointments by September 19th.  So more than a 2 month wait to get in the OR.  I think 6 months is a good amount of time.  I know that I would not have been ready before 4 months!  Just keep going and it will be here before you know it!  :-)
Renée
444.5       /   430.2    /     408.2    /    299.8     /   244.5    /     249     /  225
Highest / 07-11-08 / 11-25-08  / 06-07-09 / 03-25-10 / 01-31-11 /  STG
Trayc67
on 10/5/08 8:12 am - Holbrook , MA

Thank you   and good luck  I wish you the best

Trayc67
on 10/5/08 8:13 am - Holbrook , MA

Thank you   and good luck  I wish you the best

Most Active
Recent Topics
Survived July 4th
spark · 0 replies · 807 views
Is it possible?