DON'T READ THE MEMORIALS! -NOT NOW

Darlene E.
on 10/17/08 9:02 am - Harrow, Canada
Please do yourself a favor, don't read the memorials.  I thought I'd look to see how many had died as a result of their surgeries, and left with such a heavy heart.
Not all had passed from complications, but there were a few. 

I've always known the risks, and have been willing to take them, but being faced with reading someones tribute to their loved one who passed from taking these same risks just puts it all into reality.

I know for every death, there are thousands of successes. I know deep down I'll be one, but still it's in my mind that something could go wrong. 
I made a promise to my 10 year old daughter, that nothing would happen to me. I'm not into the habit of making promises I can't keep, but she needed reassurance. 

So please, trust me, don't go there. It'll only serve to bring your fears forward and nobody needs that.
pjukawil
on 10/17/08 1:07 pm - Davison, MI
I know what you mean...and without sounding unsympathetic...if you notice none are from 2008 (from the surgery that is)  I know they have come a long way dealing with complications etc.  after surgery, but I am still nervous when I really get to thinking about it .  AND then I remember that I am either going out with the surgery or going out with a massive heart attack!

Darlene E.
on 10/17/08 2:52 pm - Harrow, Canada
I noticed there were none for 2008 too. I'm glad I'm not the only one with these fears and I also try to remember if I don't have this surgery I'm doomed to a short life that will end in a heart attack too.  I really wouldn't be taking such a big risk if I thought there was any other way.
hermance67
on 10/18/08 1:14 am - chatham, NY
Reading the complications board scares me too.  i always wonder if having a higher bmi or multiple co-morbs contribute to it.  i have read all the risks but it is still scary.
Darlene E.
on 10/18/08 3:37 am - Harrow, Canada
I agree. I noticed many had BMIs in the 60+ range.
I personally am quickly headed in that direction.
Debbi M.
on 10/18/08 8:17 am - San Pedro, CA

I did the same thing.... and then I panicked.  I wanted to be informed... and thought it would be a good idea.  Then I saw that there were people just like me... lower BMI, relatively young, not too many co-morbidities.  I realized I was not without some risk.  But you are right.. the risk is so small.... and I'm confidant my Dr. is taking all precautions.  The blood clot thing scares the hell outta me.  But when my doctor told me I would be giving myself injections to prevent them... i was fine.  She has never lost a patient... so that makes me feel good too.  I have a friend who had RNY a year ago and her Dr. didn't do all the things my Dr. is making me do.  She paid cash though.. so that may make a difference, Im not sure.  I have kids too, I'm a single mom.... and they have heard me talking about it.  I have reassured them that I need to do this for my health.. or we will all be burdened by it in the future... and im doing this for all of us.  If something happens to me.. well.. im not even going to talk about it cause everything is going to be fine....   and I'm sure it will be will all of us!!!!  If you have ANY concerns... ask your Dr.  And I'm curious if anyone else has been told they will be giving Lovenox, a blood thinner, as a routine thing after surgery.  That one little medication has really relieved a lot of stress for me... lol...    November Losers Rock!!!!!

"There is not life without pain, no treasure without the hunt.... Getting things easily will never make us into the women God is calling us to be."  

Darlene E.
on 10/18/08 11:53 am - Harrow, Canada
I haven't been told anything, but I'll be sure to ask at my PATs.   I didnt even know that was something that was done. I'd be better with a pill rather then injection since I'm afraid of needles LOL. But I'll do what I have to.

Has anyone asked if their surgeon check for leakage?  From what I understand, not all of them do. One of the ladies from my support group checked out 3 clinics before finding one that did.  I believe they check before you're released as well as during the actual surgery.
Debbi M.
on 10/18/08 2:24 pm - San Pedro, CA

I don't think you can take a pill.  First off, it wont be broken down and metabolized properly in your new cute little pouch!  lol...  And second... this is a heparin type drug, and I think only available in injectable form. 
As for the leakage check...  My group does a fluoroscopy or upper GI on the second day after surgery to make sure there are no leaks present.  I am finding that my surgeon does a lot of things that others don't.  Maybe that's why she's never lost a patient!!  She is young too, and I think that makes a big difference... she has been trained with the latest technology and even robotics!  You know what they say about an ounce of prevention!!  At first I thought all this stuff was a pain in the butt... but now I am very confident that I am getting the best care I can.  And yeah... I'll jab myself with a needle twice a day to prevent a blood clot...  NO PROBLEM!!!

"There is not life without pain, no treasure without the hunt.... Getting things easily will never make us into the women God is calling us to be."  

2sailaway
on 10/24/08 11:43 am - Santa Clarita, CA

I haven't read the memorials because I am excited, not scared and I don't want to change that.  This isn't to mean that my head is in the sand.  My doctor gave us all of the various national statistics and also those for his office. He also requires all sort of tests on anyone over 40 including endoscopy and cardiac tread mill stress tests. In addition to that keep in mind that there are surgeons that have done a lot of these and some that have done a few.  All go into the statistics. I agree I thought that a lot of the stuff was a pain in the butt at first, especially since I have low blood pressure.  But as I have checked each additional box I have become more confident.  And oh did I mention that the statistics include those that don't listen to their doctor.  My doctor had a patient that had to have emergency surgery and survived because on the way home form the hospital they decided to go through the local Taco Bell.  Incredible!!! I think if you get a skilled surgeon that has done a lot of procedures, go to a hospital that specializes in this and do what your doctor orders the safety far outweighs the risks of staying overweight.

Good luck to you!  I am right behind you with my surgery on Nov 6th. I feel confident that we will do great!  And I wil take a needle with me just in case.
Teri

boobrajean2008
on 10/21/08 11:02 am - ravenna, OH
mine does the day after I have to have a contrast test to check for leaks.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Survived July 4th
spark · 0 replies · 807 views
Is it possible?
spark · 0 replies · 768 views
Back to Basics
spark · 2 replies · 1054 views
Losing Control
BooBoo139 · 0 replies · 2021 views