Anybody have to go on a liquid diet before surgery?

Darlene E.
on 10/20/08 4:32 am - Harrow, Canada
As far as I know, I don't need to, but I'd like to go on one to try to drop a few pounds and shrink my liver.
What did they recomend to you? Protein shakes? Vitamins? Broth? What else?
Thanks for your input.
abarby03
on 10/20/08 7:56 am - Miami, FL
Hey there...well my Dr. wants me to do a liquid diet for 2days before my sx and the list consists of clear broth (if your eating soup make sure it doesn't have too much fat), Gatorade, apple juice (not from concentrate), water and Crystal Light.  I know it's gonna be hard, but hey we gotta do it for our best! Good luck
nschneider
on 10/20/08 10:41 am
yes I am doing the liver reducing diet, my surgeon is reccomending 2 weeks of it prior to surgery so next Monday, I need to start it.  He is reccomending 4 protein shales a day as well as sugar free apple sauce, cream of wheat sugar free pudding, sugar free jello 1/2 cup serving sizes and no more than 5 servings a day. the procedure is necessary of you are having laproscopic surgery as it makes it easier for the surgeon to work with the laproscopic instruments and reduces the chances of having to open you up.
irish1214
on 10/21/08 12:58 am
I started my liquid diet today. It goes for 2 weeks. 3--4 protein shakes a day and clear fluids. My stomach is growling as I write this. I teach one more class and then will have another shake. I am determined to do this so there is no problem with my liver during surger. My surgery is Nov 4th-Election Day. Lets make a pact to support each other since we are all going to have our "Big Day" this month.

nschneider
on 10/21/08 1:29 am
I couldnt agree more, where are you having your surgery completed.  Please let me know how yours went you have yours one week befor me so I will be interested to see how you are feeling.  I am sure after the first week of the liquid diet your stomach will styart to shrink as well and you will not be as hungry just go for a alk everythime you want to eat or pu****er bottles in the fridge so hen you go to the fridge you can open it and grab one of them instead of food.  Also if you can clear all the food out of the house that you can not have.  I am going to bring my small fridge up from the basement and plug it in and oput my stuff in that fridge and getr a lock for the big fridege to help me not be tempted to cheat.
irish1214
on 10/21/08 2:08 am
I am having my surgery at the Cleveland Clinic in Fort Lauderdale. Your idea of the refrigerator is a great one. I just don't want to be tempted by things I shouldn't have and seeing them in the regular refrigerator would be hard. I will let you know how it goes and you do the same.
We CAN do this!
MARY

susiebell
on 10/21/08 4:20 pm - Simsbury, CT
My doctor puts his patients on two weeks of Optifast, with broths, sugar free/caffeine/carbonate free liquids, sugar free jello and sugar free popsicles.

I had my date pushed a few weeks - but had done about 4 days of it and lost 12 lbs! It definitely helps you lose a few lbs before surgery.
boobrajean2008
on 10/21/08 11:10 am - ravenna, OH
I have to do 2 weeks prior to surgery liquid 5 and half packs of carnations breakfast a day and sugar free popcicles and jello will be allowed. This is to also prepare for the weeks after the surgery as well. Anyway that is what I am told.
Renée M.
on 10/21/08 11:19 am - Syracuse, NY
Yes, I have to start on the 15th of November on a liquid protein diet.  I am hoping to lose a good 20 pounds prior to my surgery being on the liquid cleanse!  :-)  It is going to be here so soon!
Renée
444.5       /   430.2    /     408.2    /    299.8     /   244.5    /     249     /  225
Highest / 07-11-08 / 11-25-08  / 06-07-09 / 03-25-10 / 01-31-11 /  STG
Mom2aTrio
on 10/21/08 1:06 pm - IN
Yep Yep! I am doing optifast...on day 5 and have 13 days to go...

Jill
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me. ~ Philippians 4:13

Most Active
Recent Topics
Survived July 4th
spark · 0 replies · 807 views
Is it possible?
spark · 0 replies · 769 views
Back to Basics
spark · 2 replies · 1055 views
Losing Control
BooBoo139 · 0 replies · 2033 views